Sign in to follow this  
Nyce_1

OJ Mayo

I haven't watched much of this guy, but I remember he had a lot of hype coming out of USC. What is his game like? Rumors are out there that he lost his starting gig and might be made available. How would his game translate to playing in Orlando?

I haven't watched much of this guy, but I remember he had a lot of hype coming out of USC. What is his game like? Rumors are out there that he lost his starting gig and might be made available. How would his game translate to playing in Orlando?

From what I have seen is he is an undersized 2 guard, very streaky shooter, can put up as much as 30 a game and as little as 10 a game. Also a volume shooter, decent penetration into the lane and an average passer. At times it seems like he relies too much on flashy moves rather than making the simple play. As for fitting in with the Magic, I would personally say he is an upgrade on VC based on potential alone. He could be dominant if he can ever find some consistency.

Nyce, KITNO mentioned this guy as a possibility in O-Town in one of the threads he posted in.

Anyway, glad to see you've joined the growing list of poster's who think and know we need a crunch time go-to-guy.....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I don't remember watching the guy play, but I've heard his defense is flat out horrible!

Short for a SG - all of our PG/SG's would be under 6'4" which does not bode well vs the bigger/contender teams. Not really a good defender and inefficient shooter but could blossom with the right system.

I don't remember watching the guy play, but I've heard his defense is flat out horrible!

I've watched a few of Memphis' games this season and you are spot on with his defense. The Grizz could probably play a better 4 man zone with him out of the game than a 5 man, man-to-man defense with him on the court.

He is a small SG that can shoot and score. You can't rely on him to drive and score consistently, although he has the skillset to finish around the rim -- he just needs to execute on a night-to-night basis. He uses his quickness and change of speed to elude defenders and create space. He has no nose for rebounding and has questionable court vision. He gets an occasional steal per game and can get you some hustle play as well. He likes the long range jumper and is reliable at the FT line.

I've always been a big fan of Mayo's and while he hasn't shown a hell of a lot in the NBA, I think he still has the talent to be a very good player.

I must say I'm surprised that his D is not up to standard because I remember reading an article after his first season about how hard he fights on the defensive end and how he even gave Kobe a heap of trouble. I've also read about how hard of a worker he is, some even comparing his work ethic to Kobe and Jordan.

I'd be interested to see how he would go running the point since that was his position all through High School, it was only at USC and now the NBA that he hasn't played. I think he could be a good facilitator on this team but I'm not sure he has the ability to be our go-to guy/crunch time scorer just yet. Having said that I would still love him on our team.

He's a liability as an undersized two against bigger guards & no perimeter player in the league will look good defensively with Z-Bo & Marc Gasol behind them. Anybody who saw Mayo play in college knows defends at a high level. Check the stats of D. Rose when Memphis played USC.

IMO, Mayo came into the league as a player who needed to be developed at PG & could spend a few years as a combo guard. That was the plan until Hollins took over and decided Mike Conley is a future All-Star & the Griz are better off with the likes of Marcus Williams, Acie Law, & Grievis Vasquez getting the PG mins Conley doesn't.

Mayo & Gasol are the only two Griz players who aren't more concerned w/their stats than winning, but because of Mayo's desire to play PG, he has become Hollins whipping boy/scapegoat.

He's a player. Not the superstar some predicted, but he'll thrive if he gets traded to a team that utilizes him correctly, and puts him at a position where he'll enjoy a size mismatch every night rather than one where's he's undersized. If he played PG for Orlando, he's averaging 20 pts. & 8 ass, he's the guy with the ball in his hands at the end of the game. Memphis screwed up big time drafting Thabeet or Tyreke. Tyreke would have been the perfect compliment to Mayo in the backcourt...but that would have left Conley out in the cold, so Hollins persuaded the owner to override the GM & draft Thabeet.

I'd take Mayo here. He's in the same mold as a Monta Ellis, which I think would be dynamite here.

Anybody who isn't afraid to take shots. Sure, some nights might be frustrating when it isn't falling, but nobody is perfect here. I'd rather have a guy like that, then watch a game go down to the 4th and nobody outside of Jameer are looking to take over the scoring load (Dwight is STILL a liability with his FT shooting unfortunately, but that's not to say don't feed the big guy still).