Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

Game Thread: Phoenix @ Orlando 11/18 TNT 8PM

The game was enjoyable- Lewis- was awesome tonight. Starters were great tonight. Scrubs not so good. Duhon should have very limited minutes-he is awful. Charles Barkely said that the Magic are not going to beat the Heat or Celtics. He said that Carter will freeze again, and that he has no faith in Lewis or Carter. He said that Dwight would have to totally dominate. He said that Magic will always be a team that plays good regualr season games. and this is all

:svgsad:

You really shouldn't put so much stock (let alone any) in what Barkley says.

The game was enjoyable- Lewis- was awesome tonight. Starters were great tonight. Scrubs not so good. Duhon should have very limited minutes-he is awful. Charles Barkely said that the Magic are not going to beat the Heat or Celtics. He said that Carter will freeze again, and that he has no faith in Lewis or Carter. He said that Dwight would have to totally dominate. He said that Magic will always be a team that plays good regualr season games. and this is all

Charles never said we couldn't beat the Heat, he said we couldn't beat the Magic. :tongue:

What are you pouting about? Sounds like something you would say.

Can't really say much about Chuck's assessment. I guess he's just taking the safe route. I do agree though that it will take Carter, Howard, AND Nelson to beat those teams.

Lets be real people we are never going to be the favorites, and I don't blame them we haven't proven anything. We have good regular seasons, good playoff runs, but always manage to choke.

Until one day we win the ship then maybe just maybeeee we will be taken foreal foreal

He isn't far off on this, he's saying that we have to be able to rely on Dwight down the stretch in games because Vince and Shard have shown that they do not step up in those situations. What it boils down to is if Dwight wants to win a title with this team as it is currently constructed he needs to fix the free throw issue.

Anyone have an address for Reggie Miller? I feel like I need to explain for the billionth time why people boo Grant, his "get over it" comment pissed me off.

• Upvote 2

This always irks me as well. At the game, people were wondering about it and questioning it. But here's the thing...none of those people were long-time Orlando Magic FANS. They were either team personnel or media. You have to be a fan...you have to hang your heart on every game for years and years and YEARS to understand why we would boo an otherwise stand-up guy like Grant Hill. Former players like Reggie Miller will never understand it. People who know Grant Hill personally will never understand it.

But the fact is, the guy took our money, he played when he could, but as soon as he had the chance, he left for greener pastures. Until Otis Smith comes out and publicly claims that he CHOSE not to sign Grant Hill, that he TOLD Grant Hill to look for a deal elsewhere, I will always believe that Hill left as soon as he had the chance. The fact that his departure made us a better team is irrelevant to this argument. However, I do think that this fact is what will eventually cause the fans to "get over it."

• Upvote 2

What Chuck said, and was indeed correct [in the sense that it would be a nice way of thinking for our team to adopt], is that we don't stand much of a chance of winning it all until OUR GO-TO GUY IS OUR BEST GUY, ergo Dwight Howard.

Yeah, Barkley was on the Magic wagon when we where sweeping Atlanta and got off when we didn't show up against Boston; but who didn't ? We all saw something we didn't want to see, but might just as well acknowledge it now while there's time. When the going gets tough, Vince will wince and Shard will have his contract.

Even in the PHX blowout where the world came upside down and Lewis dunked (whaaaat?!) the ball, Howard's top-level energy in the opening minutes did set the tone. He dominated defensively; and that IS the only way to win by three-point shooting: you need to have a DH12 that's has just whooped your opponents arse on the other side of the floor.

Dwight is our best player, BY LIGHT YEARS.

We should play him as such (and I'm not pessimistic that we won't, I'm bigtime on the SVG wagon!).

If we go down as a "Vince Carter's team", or even the horror-movie version of "Rashard Lewis' team", well... their teams -we all KNOW that- don't win titles. To that extent, Barkley knows what he's talking about.

ps. Another top-side is that you can't have DH12 as a go-to guy unless he ups his FT%. And I'm pretty sure that he can; and he will, once HIS TEAM puts him CONSISTENTLY on the driver seat with major closing-minute plays and free throws. I don't care if we have 15 of our 25 regular season loses off of DH missing a clutch free throw but get a MVP in the trade-off.

(for now, while he's getting some lazy non-clutch attempts, perhaps he should try taking a step back off the line before he slingshots 'em..)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1