Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Latest on Chris Paul & Hornets (Ben Golliver, CBS Sports)

What Paul wanted more than anything, sources say, was a vision and a plan. He is finally beginning to see a semblance of both from this new tandem of Demps and Williams. But that won’t be enough in the long run. Though happy with the way the team is playing and with the direction that Demps and Williams have chosen, those familiar with Paul’s long-term goals believe it will take more than that to appease him. That’s why the Hornets have joined the chorus of teams calling Philadelphia officials to inquire about the availability of Andre Iguodala. Would the Sixers’ star be enough to give Paul a taste of what it’s like to play with a top-tier talent, like his friends pulled off in Miami? Time will tell, but the fact that the Hornets are trying to get him more help even after a 7-0 start has to be taken as a good sign. (Those conversations, per sources, were dead on arrival in Philadelphia, where Rod Thorn and Ed Stefanski aren’t ready to part ways with Iguodala. Yet.)

Steve Nash has been very up front about how much work the Suns have to do after Amar’e Stoudemire’s departure. Without his pick-and-roll partner, Nash has seen Phoenix struggle out of the gate – which inevitably has led to trade rumors surfacing. It’s too early now, but at some point the Suns will have to come to grips with the fact that they aren’t a lock for the playoffs and that Nash is 36 and has $22 million coming to him over the next two seasons. Disclaimer: I am not suggesting that this scenario has been discussed or is in any way imminent. But what a boost Nash would provide for the Orlando Magic, who need a dynamic point guard to feed Dwight Howard in the post and on the move. With a potent big man and 3-point shooters all around, Nash would feel right at home in Orlando. If Phoenix decides to take firm steps toward rebuilding and cost-cutting, Vince Carter would more than fit the bill with only $4 million guaranteed in 2011-12. The problem is, Carter makes more than Nash, and clearly isn’t worth more than Nash. So a third team may be required to even out money and value in such a scenario.

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/25772987

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Nash is not as quick as Jameer on D so there is one problem. He's also not a scorer so if you are giving up Vince you are giving up the only guy that can get his own shot on this team, however flawed he may be. It's another situation where we trade one set of problems for another and if our guys aren't hitting shots all the great looks that Nash would create wouldn't amount to much.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not only is there not a chance Paul gets traded, but Melo is going to sign with New Orleans. New York isn't possible for all three to be there because of the contract they gave STAT. New Orleans has the money, and 2/3 isn't bad.

I also think Paul is smart enough to take notice of what is going on in Miami. Sure they have Wade, James, Bosh, but then a bunch of D-Leaguers. The Heat would be amazing if the NBA was a 3 on 3 league, but it's not. A Paul/Melo combo surrounded with the likes of Ariza, West, and Okafor is a pretty damn good team.

Not only is there not a chance Paul gets traded, but Melo is going to sign with New Orleans. New York isn't possible for all three to be there because of the contract they gave STAT. New Orleans has the money, and 2/3 isn't bad.

I also think Paul is smart enough to take notice of what is going on in Miami. Sure they have Wade, James, Bosh, but then a bunch of D-Leaguers. The Heat would be amazing if the NBA was a 3 on 3 league, but it's not. A Paul/Melo combo surrounded with the likes of Ariza, West, and Okafor is a pretty damn good team.

New Orleans only has the money if several things happen that are looking increasingly unlikely. Aaron Gray certainly won't opt out. With his deal, they're at 42.6m. If West opts in as well, which given the impending lockout and the effect it'll have on FA, he might consider, then they have a total payroll of over 50m. They'll have barely an MLE to offer Melo, and Melo's already said he wants to play in a major media market, something New Orleans most certainly is not.

Nash isin't the anwser. It's either CP3 or bust for the PG talk and that doesn't look like it's going to work out so can we please drop it!?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Even though I understand that getting a PG like Nash or Paul would greatly improve our team. I don't think the PG position needs to be the one we're focused on unless something becomes a very real possibility. Even for all the haters (and I was one last year), Vince has looked great this year, taking the ball to the hole a lot more; Bass has looked amazing and could easily fill in at the starting 4 spot. Our team is still a title contender and in my opinion, Miami doesnt look as threatening as originally thought, their only good game (unfortunately) was against Orlando.

Now getting Nash and Paul would improve the PG but I think getting any of these players would overall hurt our team. The type of players that we would give up would not be equal to the return in my opinion. Trading VC, Nelson, Bass, Anderson (whatever combination of those players would work) isn't the type of players we'd get back even though Nash and Paul are that dynamic.

As JC said in another thread, I agree that our rotation has to be seriously cleaned up. Here is what I'd like to see:

PG: Nelson, Williams, Duhon

SG: VC, Redick, Richardson

SF: Lewis, Pietrus,

PF: Bass, Anderson

C: Howard, Tat

And after thinking about Paul for a minute, I realize all things are possible:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/9171/napoleon-dynamite-la-fawnduh-arrives

As JC said in another thread, I agree that our rotation has to be seriously cleaned up. Here is what I'd like to see:

PG: Nelson, Williams, Duhon

SG: VC, Redick, Richardson

SF: Lewis, Pietrus,

PF: Bass, Anderson

C: Howard, Tat

And after thinking about Paul for a minute, I realize all things are possible:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/9171/napoleon-dynamite-la-fawnduh-arrives

I agree with that. Right now things are going well, so I don't think any drastic changes need to be made. Moves during the offseason is one thing, but moves during the season is something completely different.