Sign in to follow this  
OrlandoNKentucky

Brandon Bass

I don't know how anyone else feels about it, but when the Magic signed Brandon Bass I was really happy with that pick-up. I knew the guy could play because as a Kentucky fan, he was a guy I worried about when Kentucky played LSU.

Then throughout last year, he looked lost at sometimes, frustrated with playing time, but at other times looked really good on the court.

I understand that it is preseason, but from the highlights I've watched, Bass has looked really solid so far. Do you think he has beat out Anderson for the backup 4 spot? I also would feel comfortable with him starting at the 4 occasionally and switching Lewis to the 3, not all the time, but giving that lineup a shot wouldn't be a bad idea if Bass continues to play like this.

What do you all think? Has Bass found his form with the Magic? Or is it preseason ball and it doesn't really count?

I don't know how anyone else feels about it, but when the Magic signed Brandon Bass I was really happy with that pick-up. I knew the guy could play because as a Kentucky fan, he was a guy I worried about when Kentucky played LSU.

Then throughout last year, he looked lost at sometimes, frustrated with playing time, but at other times looked really good on the court.

I understand that it is preseason, but from the highlights I've watched, Bass has looked really solid so far. Do you think he has beat out Anderson for the backup 4 spot? I also would feel comfortable with him starting at the 4 occasionally and switching Lewis to the 3, not all the time, but giving that lineup a shot wouldn't be a bad idea if Bass continues to play like this.

What do you all think? Has Bass found his form with the Magic? Or is it preseason ball and it doesn't really count?

I think they are playing him to increase his trade value. I think he will be the back up ahead of Anderson once the season starts. He has clearly shown huge improvements in his weak areas: team defense + rebounding. I like him, I think if he continues to learn and improve in Van Gundy's system that he could be an important part.

Though I think he is the one Magic will trade if a first round pick comes available. Magic are already well and truly over the cap and the 4mil they could dump for each of the next 3 season's make Bass more likely to be traded than Anderson who is on a rookie scaled contract and still very young! Also he could be the odd man out if Magic use Gortat and Howard together more often (this is the only way to beat LA and Boston)

I think they are playing him to increase his trade value. I think he will be the back up ahead of Anderson once the season starts. He has clearly shown huge improvements in his weak areas: team defense + rebounding. I like him, I think if he continues to learn and improve in Van Gundy's system that he could be an important part.

Though I think he is the one Magic will trade if a first round pick comes available. Magic are already well and truly over the cap and the 4mil they could dump for each of the next 3 season's make Bass more likely to be traded than Anderson who is on a rookie scaled contract and still very young! Also he could be the odd man out if Magic use Gortat and Howard together more often (this is the only way to beat LA and Boston)

The Magic aren't showcasing Bass. And they aren't going to trade him to save money. The only way we make a trade is if it gets us that big piece to really put us over the top. It won't be to grab a draft pick or save $$.

And who knows at this point what's going to happen. Shard has looked solid at the 3 and Bass has been playing well next to Dwight.

I'd be far more excited about Bass's play if I believed that he would continue to shoot 70%+ on long 2s, and 63.1% from the field overall. But I can't really believe either of those things would maintain over a long period of time, because I'm not a goddammed idiot.

However, to give credit where it's due: he's rebounding much better than he has in the past, and his off-the-ball defense is now average, up from last season's "worst I've ever seen from someone who is a good defensive player by reputation".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Definitely being showcased.

Yup. I don't necessarily think he will be traded (we tend to demand equal value for everything and I don't see any position we'd be able to upgrade through a 1 for 1 trade. We might be able to get a pick and an expiring contract for him but nothing really makes sense off the top of my head), but we're definitely looking to move him.

We're showing that Bass can be a talent if set in the right opportunity. I don't think he can be effective here on the offensive end. Defensively he looks better though.

I think Gortat is better than him so we might as well get Gortat some minutes at PF since he's at least as effective as bass.

The Magic aren't showcasing Bass. And they aren't going to trade him to save money. The only way we make a trade is if it gets us that big piece to really put us over the top. It won't be to grab a draft pick or save $$.

And who knows at this point what's going to happen. Shard has looked solid at the 3 and Bass has been playing well next to Dwight.

Source?