Sign in to follow this  
TrueMagicFan07

NBA Coach Power Rankings - Oct. 12, 2010

It's not impossible to measure at all. Everything I mentioned like getting the best out of his players, remaining calm in certain situations,etc. COMBINED with talent, is the reason he has 11 titles. 11 is superior to 4.

Ok, let's try this from another angle. If Pop had the exact same rosters that Phil did, do you think Pop would have a similar number of championships?

Ok, let's try this from another angle. If Pop had the exact same rosters that Phil did, do you think Pop would have a similar number of championships?

He would definitely have more than 4, sure, but 11? I don't think so. He definitely wouldn't be staring at a potential fourth threepeat, that is for sure. Talent is the only thing you guys are arguing, that simple. You have such narrow points of view that coaching is only based on the talent you have, which is not true. It even states in the article that coaching greater talent is often harder than coaching average talent, because of egos, etc. which I already stated in previous posts. Lol I bet if you asked Pop he would even say Phil is a better coach. You ask players from all teams other than the Lakers and Spurs, majority would say Phil. You already know what that article believes. The NBA GM poll also said Phil was the best.

He would definitely have more than 4, sure, but 11? I don't think so. He definitely wouldn't be staring at a potential fourth threepeat, that is for sure. Talent is the only thing you guys are arguing, that simple. You have such narrow points of view that coaching is only based on the talent you have, which is not true. It even states in the article that coaching greater talent is often harder than coaching average talent, because of egos, etc. which I already stated in previous posts. Lol I bet if you asked Pop he would even say Phil is a better coach. You ask players from all teams other than the Lakers and Spurs, majority would say Phil. You already know what that article believes. The NBA GM poll also said Phil was the best.

I have no issue saying Phil is the best. He may be the best coach of all time.

You can't say use the word "definitely" in the conversation because you have no factual evidence to support your stance. Unless you are God gracing us with your presence on this message board, you have no idea how this scenario would play out in a alternate reality. I'm sorry, but I can't imagine a scenario where Popovich couldn't coach a team of Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and Dennis Rodman to multiple championships. I also don't see how Pop would fail to coach a Lakers team that included Shaq and Kobe to multiple championships either. Maybe, maybe something would happen and Pop would call a play that costs a team a championship (and I'm really just reaching here to throw you a bone.) that would lead Pop to only win 9 or 10 championships. Of course, the problem with this argument is that the same thing could be said if Phil coached the Spurs. There are no guarantees that Phil would have won 4 championships with the Spurs either.

I asked this question because I thought it would lead to you acknowledging that talent is more of a factor that you were previously admitting. Instead it lead to you making a definitive statement based entirely off your emotional based opinion. I get it. You are a Lakers fan and the Spurs have been your biggest rival for the past decade.

• Upvote 2

I have no issue saying Phil is the best. He may be the best coach of all time.

You can't say use the word "definitely" in the conversation because you have no factual evidence to support your stance. Unless you are God gracing us with your presence on this message board, you have no idea how this scenario would play out in a alternate reality. I'm sorry, but I can't imagine a scenario where Popovich couldn't coach a team of Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and Dennis Rodman to multiple championships. I also don't see how Pop would fail to coach a Lakers team that included Shaq and Kobe to multiple championships either. Maybe, maybe something would happen and Pop would call a play that costs a team a championship (and I'm really just reaching here to throw you a bone.) that would lead Pop to only win 9 or 10 championships. Of course, the problem with this argument is that the same thing could be said if Phil coached the Spurs. There are no guarantees that Phil would have won 4 championships with the Spurs either.

I asked this question because I thought it would lead to you acknowledging that talent is more of a factor that you were previously admitting. Instead it lead to you making a definitive statement based entirely off your emotional based opinion. I get it. You are a Lakers fan and the Spurs have been your biggest rival for the past decade.

NONE of it is my emotional based opinion, I've stated numerous times how Phil is able to get the best out of his players and remain calm and with patience. Game 7 when his team is down, the Vujacic situation, etc. Once again, go read the article, it agrees with me. I have the ultimate respect for the Spurs organization. If Pop were the better coach, I would admit it, but he's not.

NONE of it is my emotional based opinion, I've stated numerous times how Phil is able to get the best out of his players and remain calm and with patience. Game 7 when his team is down, the Vujacic situation, etc. Once again, go read the article, it agrees with me. I have the ultimate respect for the Spurs organization. If Pop were the better coach, I would admit it, but he's not.

SOUNDS emotional based

I think if you discount Jackson's titles for having Jordan/Pippen/Kobe/Shaq then you have to discount Pop's titles for having Duncan/Robinson, Auerbach's titles for having what seemed like 75 Hall of Famers, Rudy T's Championships for having Olajuwon and winning them during weak Jordan years, Pat Reily for having Magic/Worthy/Kareem and Shaq/Wade, etc.

So really, the best coach ever was Chuck Daily because he won the most championships without having a Yacht full of talent.

I do think Phil Jackson is slightly overrated and overhyped. He's coached arguably the two greatest SGs of all time, each with a HoF sidekick. I honestly think these last two titles are the most impressive of all of them. He's won back to back with an aging Kobe with Pau Gasol (who is not as good as people make him out to be).

Not saying Phil isn't great, but winning the most titles doesn't make him the best coach of all time. Having Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Kobe Bryant, and Shaquille O'Neal makes it a lot easier to win titles.

Let's say the Heat go on to win a ton of titles. Can we put Spoelstra in this group? Even though he didn't do much of anything his first two years of coach, he could win with LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh. Does that make him great?

I do think Phil Jackson is slightly overrated and overhyped. He's coached arguably the two greatest SGs of all time, each with a HoF sidekick. I honestly think these last two titles are the most impressive of all of them. He's won back to back with an aging Kobe with Pau Gasol (who is not as good as people make him out to be).

Not saying Phil isn't great, but winning the most titles doesn't make him the best coach of all time. Having Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Kobe Bryant, and Shaquille O'Neal makes it a lot easier to win titles.

Let's say the Heat go on to win a ton of titles. Can we put Spoelstra in this group? Even though he didn't do much of anything his first two years of coach, he could win with LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh. Does that make him great?

great points!

I can buy into this a bit. Most success doesn't necessarily make someone the best. I think generally in the NBA there is a smaller gap between coaching skill then people give credit. I think luck and finding talented players that work in a coaches system and compliment each other well are the most important things that effect championships.