Sign in to follow this  
Optimist Prime

Trade Deadline Scenario

Hey, guys. I'm just wondering...

If Vince is able to average 20/5/5 and/or Jameer are able to average 15/6/2 around the deadline, would you still want to trade them for either Melo or Paul? Would you still think shopping Vince would be a good idea? How would it affect the team chemistry?

Just thoughts looking forward to the season. I think Jameer works in our system, and is a key to the team (chemistry and performance). Though I wouldn't be angry if we got someone like Chris Paul, I wonder how it would impact the rest of the team. Vince, for me, is only important to this team if he can get his confidence back. I think his biggest problem is that his performance depends on others.

Moving parts.....Lots of them. Plus Vince is not going to average those numbers nor is Jameer getting 6 rebounds a game. Also Carmelo needs to sign his extension before anyone should entertain trading for him.

Moving parts.....Lots of them. Plus Vince is not going to average those numbers nor is Jameer getting 6 rebounds a game. Also Carmelo needs to sign his extension before anyone should entertain trading for him.

I had assumed that Jameer's 15/6/2 was meant to be points/assists/steals.

I had assumed that Jameer's 15/6/2 was meant to be points/assists/steals.

You probably are right. I was just trying to be sarcastic.

I think everyone on this board would be ecstatic if VC was averaging 20 PPG as that would mean he adjusted his game to be more efficient with his shots. With everything else on the team staying at status quo, that alone would make the Magic a really hard team to beat and we'd be watching another serious championship run.

If that was the case, then it would be highly unlikely that the Magic would derail the season and trade him for anything that does not return a very good young starting calibre wing for the future that would provide a better scoring efficiency within 10 - 14 shot attempts avg per game range and with a good 3pt shot to not disrupt the team style and chemistry mid season + that player would also have to have either a comparable pure point rating to VC or be a major upgrade defensively.

For Chris Paul you break up the core anytime; for Carmello you also disrupt the season no matter what but I think Jameer would be off limits in that scenario.

I think it's very possible he can average around 20 a game. in Feb-Apr he averaged 17 and 18 points while having a few low scoring and a number of 23+ nights.

The problem is, even with his ending the season like this, he managed to lose a lot of steam in the playoffs. If he can average these numbers at the beginning of the regular season, do we risk him falling flat again? But, then Lewis probably won't have the same problems he did this year.

I think it's very possible he can average around 20 a game. in Feb-Apr he averaged 17 and 18 points while having a few low scoring and a number of 23+ nights.

The problem is, even with his ending the season like this, he managed to lose a lot of steam in the playoffs. If he can average these numbers at the beginning of the regular season, do we risk him falling flat again? But, then Lewis probably won't have the same problems he did this year.

Vince Carter can definitely average 20, the problem is his efficiency and like you said durability is absolutely an issue.

In looking for a player with the stats that I mentioned in the last post, I found that JJ actually fills them up nicely. The question is will JJ's efficiency stay as good if given twice as many shots and defenses prepare for him better - signs point to yes but who knows for sure. Either way, Otis' resigning of JJ was actually a very under rated move as JJ's stats show he should be a pretty good transitional player to integrate with Carter as his aging takes its toll. I don't think he's the future starter but for now at the SG position the tandem of VC and JJ with the minutes split fairly even throughout the season should maximize VC for the post season and JJ looks to be good enough to match the production to keep pace during the season.

That coupled with an increased offensive role for Rashard, Dwight and Jameer (getting them all back up to 13 - 14 fga per game) and meanwhile lowering the shots from the SG position (+ adjusting the SG position to a more balanced distribution of shots and minutes spread 60/40 between VC/JJ) should be the slight tweak that gets us deep in the playoffs again next year. Once were there though, I think what happens when the Magic face Boston, Miami or the Lakers will be entirely dependent on whether the Magic is hot and firing on all cylinders, healthy and if at the end of the day the Magic want it the more than them - as talent wise LA and Miami clearly have an edge.