Sign in to follow this  
OrlandoNKentucky

Religion

Osprey - out of curiosity, what is your fundamental opposition to Presbyterianism? I only ask cuz it struck me as unusual to see it grouped with Catholicism & Lutheranism.

Its amussing how legislating morality is only associated with those who attempt to do so in the name of religion...

Osprey - out of curiosity, what is your fundamental opposition to Presbyterianism? I only ask cuz it struck me as unusual to see it grouped with Catholicism & Lutheranism.

Its amussing how legislating morality is only associated with those who attempt to do so in the name of religion...

That's because most of it is done for religious purposes whether its done openly in the name of organized religion or politicians doing so in order to curry favor with the religious right.

Show of hands here for people who have pre-marital sex, take recreational drugs, and break several other religious standards here?

Everyone? OK then...

It's like being a vegan. You can't be vegan and eat meat and expect to still consider yourself a vegan.

This is why I have problems with organized religion. I dig the concept. I grew up catholic. I know tons of people who are hardcore Christians. Yet time and time again I see them do things that aren't very Christian like and yet it's simply brushed off. I get that God forgives our sins, but it's not a free pass if you ask me.

I believe...that there is some sort of higher power. A God. I believe he understands my skepticism, but appreciates the fact that I am open to the possibility of him existing. I believe there is too much involved to just chalk things up to science. Sure, we can use it as a tool to make sense of things that have been created. But I mean, what the hell created science? Where dit his all come from? You'll drive yourself nuts trying to figure it all out.

Anyway, thats's my uninformed mess of an opinion.

• Upvote 4

There seems to exist a large contingent of people who believe that Sharia Law is wrong because it is Muslim, or because the core tenets dictated in the parts of the world where Sharia Law exists make Islam as a whole more backwards or incompatible with 21st century life than other religions.

These people are morons.

The problem with Sharia law is that the kind of archaic religious indoctrination it requires is no longer functional, fair, or acceptable in 21st century society, but that same lack of functionality and acceptibility would be present in a country that dictated its laws by ANY religious doctrine, not just a Muslim one. As Emory pointed out, we don't need to be stoning disobedient children to death.

There seems to exist a large contingent of people who believe that Sharia Law is wrong because it is Muslim, or because the core tenets dictated in the parts of the world where Sharia Law exists make Islam as a whole more backwards or incompatible with 21st century life than other religions.

These people are morons.

The problem with Sharia law is that the kind of archaic religious indoctrination it requires is no longer functional, fair, or acceptable in 21st century society, but that same lack of functionality and acceptibility would be present in a country that dictated its laws by ANY religious doctrine, not just a Muslim one. As Emory pointed out, we don't need to be stoning disobedient children to death.

Yeah, too many people think of the Sandpeople from Star Wars when they think of Muslims in general. They also assume way too many things about their culture (glares at Trey). Religious stances and social issues are basically the same everywhere (depending on how progressive the sects are) but people lack the ability to realize this.

I believe...that there is some sort of higher power. A God. I believe he understands my skepticism, but appreciates the fact that I am open to the possibility of him existing. I believe there is too much involved to just chalk things up to science. Sure, we can use it as a tool to make sense of things that have been created. But I mean, what the hell created science? Where dit his all come from? You'll drive yourself nuts trying to figure it all out.

Good call, that's pretty much my views too. I believe in some sort of higher power, whether it be one big ball of energy, or something that's inside every living thing, or... I don't know but I believe something is there.

Yeah, too many people think of the Sandpeople from Star Wars when they think of Muslims in general. They also assume way too many things about their culture (glares at Trey). Religious stances and social issues are basically the same everywhere (depending on how progressive the sects are) but people lack the ability to realize this.

And again this isn't a coincidence. Ancient leaders didn't want men roaming around and raping women. What is a good way to combat this? Tell your people that the entity that they use to explain everything they can't explain says it's a sin to do so.

There was a time that religion served its purpose - though it's always been a bloody practice - but I personally don't see the necessity for it anymore.

:offtopic:

I don't find George Carlin that funny. I don't feel offended by what he says (by any means), I just don't find him funny.

:offtopic:

I don't find George Carlin that funny. I don't feel offended by what he says (by any means), I just don't find him funny.

Is that so?

Family Guy > Everything

Oh, I see.

• Upvote 1