Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

The Netflix Thread

Who here has NetFlix? The instant streaming feature is awesome for anyone that has not subscribed, especially if you have any of the major gaming systems. Despite having every available season of the Office, Arrested Development, Weeds, 24, etc. they have countless movies from old favorites to newer hits.

Some recent additions that were added today:

Astro Boy

The Bad News Bears

Blue Velvet

Crank 2: High Voltage

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Delirious

Defiance

Drillbit Taylor

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

Iron Man

The Godfather

The Godfather: Part III

The Godfather: Part II

The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard

Ladybugs

The Love Guru

Little Monsters

Mac and Me

Major League II

Showgirls

Star Trek

Troll II

The Warriors

Who here has NetFlix? The instant streaming feature is awesome for anyone that has not subscribed, especially if you have any of the major gaming systems. Despite having every available season of the Office, Arrested Development, Weeds, 24, etc. they have countless movies from old favorites to newer hits.

Some recent additions that were added today:

Astro Boy

The Bad News Bears

Blue Velvet

Crank 2: High Voltage

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Delirious

Defiance

Drillbit Taylor

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

Iron Man

The Godfather

The Godfather: Part III

The Godfather: Part II

The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard

Ladybugs

The Love Guru

Little Monsters

Mac and Me

Major League II

Showgirls

Star Trek

Troll II

The Warriors

Thank you. I now know about a boring day asset. Godfather marathon.

I just got Netflix last week and my Family loves it!!!!

Works great on the Wii..

I would recommend to everyone, I am getting rid of my Movie Channels through Cable now, and going to save some money...

There will always be live TV, but I think this may very well be where the television industry is headed. On Demand content, streaming to you whenever you want and in the highest standard possible (HD, 3D). When you think of the concept, live broadcasting isn't a necessity, unless news stations refuse to provide their programs.

With that said, do you think Netflix is an option at the moment to give premium cable and satellite providers a run for their money? How vast is the amount of content they provide? And is Netflix, in your opinion, worth their monthly fee ($8.99)? I'm looking to save money so I'm just curious.

There will always be live TV, but I think this may very well be where the television industry is headed. On Demand content, streaming to you whenever you want and in the highest standard possible (HD, 3D). When you think of the concept, live broadcasting isn't a necessity, unless news stations refuse to provide their programs.

With that said, do you think Netflix is an option at the moment to give premium cable and satellite providers a run for their money? How vast is the amount of content they provide? And is Netflix, in your opinion, worth their monthly fee ($8.99)? I'm looking to save money so I'm just curious.

If you can wait for newer releases, don't mind waiting for TV shows to come out on DVD and be there for a month, and almost a huge yet limited selection, then it's ideal for someone looking to get rid of cable. I have both mainly due to wanting to watch games, weekly TV programs that either I want to watch now or won't be available on Netflix, and the variety it offers. Netflix still has a long way to go before they can be considered a cable destroyer.

However, for only $10 a month, it's well worth it instead of having numerous movie channels.

Another thing to mention is Netflix does live streaming of the entire Starz TV show and movie selections which over 1,000 titles. Their selection for Starz is actually better than the one cable Starz on demand offers.

Netflix effectively gives you one of the four big premium cable networks.

Thanks, Jareth. I watch my games through NBA LP Broadband which gives me the whole NBA Season for every team, so that would not be an issue. However, the limits of Netflix will move me to keep my cable for now. If Netflix starts to make recently aired shows available, this might change my mind. The news and what not, I can get from the web and from the paper if it came down to it.

The fact that my current cable package does not include movie channels (I assume you mean the Showtime and HBO-like premium packages), I don't know if Netflix is my solution. I have Comcast and their On Demand features, and although they are very limited, I can make due with what I have. I'm sure I'll get a service like Netflix in the future, I have heard nothing but good from Netflix users.

You know something I only heard about a few days ago? Redbox. That thing is dope. I've rented a couple movies from it so far. Netflix sounds like the best thing in movie rentals, but I'm just not ready to make that 10 dollars a month commitment right now.

Thanks, Jareth. I watch my games through NBA LP Broadband which gives me the whole NBA Season for every team, so that would not be an issue. However, the limits of Netflix will move me to keep my cable for now. If Netflix starts to make recently aired shows available, this might change my mind. The news and what not, I can get from the web and from the paper if it came down to it.

The fact that my current cable package does not include movie channels (I assume you mean the Showtime and HBO-like premium packages), I don't know if Netflix is my solution. I have Comcast and their On Demand features, and although they are very limited, I can make due with what I have. I'm sure I'll get a service like Netflix in the future, I have heard nothing but good from Netflix users.

I wouldn't count on Netflix making shows available any earlier because it cuts into DVD sails. That's the reason there is a delay in the time that new movies are released and when Netflix makes them available.

I wouldn't count on Netflix making shows available any earlier because it cuts into DVD sails. That's the reason there is a delay in the time that new movies are released and when Netflix makes them available.

Em, thanks for the response. I think, for the sake of their service, they'll have to upgrade and increase their range of content at some point to compete with new providers in the market.

Wouldn't it be convienient if a Netflix head had the bright idea of partnering with some of the big movie and television studios? They could set up a deal where if a Netflix customer chose to view a recently released product, and at a higher price, a certain percentage of the money would belong to that particular studio or producer who owns the rights. Man, Netflix would get a LOT more users this way.

That's actually not true.

The primary reason why there is such a delay between when new movies are released and when Netflix has them available is because years ago, in their effort to annihilate mom and pop chains, Blockbuster signed a deal with most of the major movie distributors that they'd get something like 30 days of movie rental service on new releases before the other stores.

One of the side effects of Blockbuster being comically in debt is that their exclusivity agreement with the studios may finally, mercifully go away.