Sign in to follow this  
Jareth Cutestory

Ranking the shooting guards [Yahoo-BDL]

I'd get that for you whether you take them off the list or not boo.

I'm waiting for jec to get jealous.

Looks like OJ Mayo is the one getting (ab)used in the pictures this time; hard to find any logical pattern between him and Ty Lawson though.

Also Vince has got to be a bit too low; i mean this means he's a below average (starting) SG in this league? really? I would've hoped this could motivate him to some degree; but it's Wince we're talking about here.

I think Vince is ranked this low because of expectations, and being compared to his former self.

Well yeah, each year the mind expects a player to perform like he did in the previous year. He didn't play like his former self and the expectations were to help us get some hardware last year. From day one he said he wanted to be a role player.

His production declined, he bogeyed in the playoffs and now his perception of skill has decreased, and so it should.

"he floated and occasionally helped and absolutely disappeared in the playoffs"

"he just never applied himself when the going got tough"

I completely agree with what Dwyer had to say... specially these two statements which pretty much sum up exactly what I (and probably every other unbiased fan) saw last season.

Though Dwyer should have noted that even with VC floating he still ranks 10th in Hollinger's PER rankings amongst shooting guards during the regular season, even with that horrible stretch he had in January. Is he that bad? - I think the question isn't how bad he is; but when he's bad. During the season Carter's PER was 17.11 vs during the Post Season where it dropped 3.65 points to 13.46. Also this:

Shot selection:

eFG% - Jump (74%) .463 Inside (26%) .551

Clutch Time Shot selection:

eFG% - Jump (75%) .427 Inside (25%) .500

PASSING RATING SEASON: 6.2

PASSING RATING PLAYOFFS: 1.1

BALL HANDLING RATING SEASON: 18.9

BALL HANDLING RATING PLAYOFFS: 17.6

but he did get more fouls called and converted them during clutch time

...well except for those 2 most important ones anyways

FT (SHOOTING/DRAWING) RATING SEASON: 9.1

FT (SHOOTING/DRAWING) RATING PLAYOFFS: 14.1

I completely agree with what Dwyer had to say... specially these two statements which pretty much sum up exactly what I (and probably every other unbiased fan) saw last season.

Though Dwyer should have noted that even with VC floating he still ranks 10th in Hollinger's PER rankings amongst shooting guards during the regular season, even with that horrible stretch he had in January. Is he's that bad - I think the question isn't how bad he is; but when he's bad. During the season Carter's PER was 17.11 vs during the Post Season where it dropped 3.65 points to 13.46. Also this:

Shot selection

ShotAtt.eFG%Ast'dBlk'dPtsJump74% .463 45% 2% 9.3 Close22% .516 18% 11% 3.0 Dunk3% .933 50% 0% 0.7 Tips1% .250 0% 0% 0.1 Inside26% .551 24% 9% 3.9

Clutch Shot selection:

ShotAtt.eFG%Ast'dBlk'dPtsJump75% .427 27% 0% 1.3 Close22% .417 0% 25% 0.4 Dunk4% 1.000 50% 0% 0.2 Tips0% .000 0% 0% 0.0 Inside25% .500 14% 21% 0.5

PASSING RATING SEASON: 6.2

PASSING RATING PLAYOFFS: 1.1

BALL HANDLING RATING SEASON: 18.9

BALL HANDLING RATING PLAYOFFS: 17.6

but he did get more fouls called and converted them during clutch time (well except for those 2 most important ones anyways)

FT (SHOOTING/DRAWING) RATING SEASON: 9.1

FT (SHOOTING/DRAWING) RATING PLAYOFFS: 14.1

i havent made a list so i might be wrong. Vince isn't a top 10 sg right now but he should at least be top 15. 23 is an insult to his ability to still get 15-20 ppg.

6 to 23? wow, thats not humanly possible. Hopefully it was stans system that is really what caused the decline and hopefully he starts getting used to it by next season.

in no particular order i would put:

Kobe

Wade

Monta

Joe Johnson

Stephen Jackson*

Tyreke Evans

Jamal Crawford*

OJ Mayo

Iggy

Manu

ahead of vince (NOTE: * reflects players I put ahead of vince solely to be used as a conservative ranking)

Being super critical I could also see players like:

Ray Allen

Caron Butler

Jason Richardson

JR Smith

John Salmons

Marcus thornton

being ranked ahead of Vince. Stil, that only makes him 17th.

If they're idiots they're going to put these players over vince even though they might not classify themselves as SG's

like Curry, Pierce, Lebron, Aaron Brooks, Jason Terry.

Either way, these lists are pretty bad, not only from a Magic fan's standpoint.