Sign in to follow this  
Penny Hardaway's Ghost

Magic to re-sign Jason Williams

Your right it is a Risk/Reward Situation....

The Risk is that J-will is forced to become a #1 PG if both Nelson and Duhon go down......

The Reward is if J-will is actually able to keep it going if this situation was to ever happen.....

Like you said WP.... with J-Will .... we know what we are getting.... which is the same guy who was burned several times last yr and couldnt get the offense going when he was in....

And a year older.... 34...

In a Video game, I wouldnt sign this guy.....

In terms of signing a young kid who can have locker room problems... well that falls on us.... on who and how we are scouting young players...

And honestly there is no way of telling who can be or can not be a major player.... if they dont get the chance too....

We have an open "Bench Warming Seat".... that we can use to explore new options... new talent....

AGAIN, we choose not to do this.... where other teams have done this and found some quality players....

"Make A Wish Foundation" would get more use out of J-Will's spot on the team.

The risk with J-Will is his age. We all saw what happened to him the second half of last season, and most of us assume it was due to age and him running out of gas. The thing is, as the third string PG, he won't be logging a lot of playing time, so he should be relatively fresh when called upon, particularly if Nelson goes down for a stretch. We all saw how well he played last season when he was needed early on, and that's the reward. We have an aging vet for a 3rd string pg, and he knows how to take care of business.

The second risk in taking J-Will is that we "risk" missing out on an up and commer by not taking a chance on a young guy. The reward here is that we aren't put into a situation where the team is dependent on an unkown should Nelson go down for a stretch of games and the young guy be forced into significant playing time.

The risk in taking a young guy is running the chance that the team ends up in a situation where we actually need him to perform and he is not ready. The reward is the possibility that he is ready, and that he shines, and blossoms into a pretty good PG.

It's much easier for teams who are not in the position to challenge for the championship to take that risk and give young guys the chance. If it fails, it doesn't have the impact it would on a contending team. For that reason, I think the right choice has been made. You pick up the solid vet, that knows the system, and that you know can run the team if need be, and you put him in a position where he is not counted on night in and night out, able to rest and stay up on his game, and if something happens, you have the ability and depth to overcome.

I like Jaysuhn Weeleeumz as our third PG. He can come in and be explosive for 13-14 seconds and give out a pass or not without turning it over.

Honestly, yes I like it. I was hoping we'd keep him as our 3rd, rather than seeing him go to the Hate.

Damn, I'm gonna miss no neck. Cheers to you old man. I hope you saddle off into the sunset peacefully, and by that I mean sign with the Heat and laugh at us.

It is easy to just pass off this signing since he isn't likely to get much playing time as the 3rd PG.

But because he is a veteran, he brings many more intangible qualities to the table that a younger, unproven player couldn't have provided. He offers a veteran voice in the locker room. He offers savvy and experience on the practice court. He is a "known quantity" that the coaching staff and the organization do not have to break-in. His teammates already know him, respect him, and trust him.

Solid signing all around.

• Upvote 2

You have a list?

(Keeping in mind the last roster position)

Sure... Here is a list of undrafted players who made a name for themselves by "GETTING A CHANCE":

Jannero Pargo

Chuck Hayes

Jamario Moon

Reggie Evans

Mikki Moore

Jose Calderon

Carlos Arroyo

Kelenna Azubuike

Bo Outlaw

Chucky Atkins

Mike James

Darrell Armstrong

Bruce Bowen - Champion

Avery Johnson - Champion

Andres Nocioni

Udonis Haslem - Champion

David Wesley

Raja Bell

Brad Miller

John Starks

Ben Wallace - Champion

Louis Amundson

Chris Andersen,

Matt Barnes,

Devin Brown - Champion

Will Bynum,

Jason Hart

C. J. Watson,

Ime Udoka,

Again..... We are waisting an open seat for no good reason.... If J-Will wasnt able to get the job done when he had limited minutes... what is the point of keeping him?

Williams averaged 6.0 points and 3.6 assists per game, mostly as a backup to Jameer Nelson. He also recorded career-highs in field-goal percentage (.444) and 3-point percentage (.380).

J Will to start BOOK IT.

If we plan on signing 15 guys I'd like one to be Stanley Robinson and the other to be a young combo pg-sg that we might be able to develop over a couple of years. We'll probably only keep 14 though and I like Sticks

You have a list?

(Keeping in mind the last roster position)

Sure... Here is a list of undrafted players who made a name for themselves by "GETTING A CHANCE":

Jannero Pargo

Chuck Hayes

Jamario Moon

Reggie Evans

Mikki Moore

Jose Calderon

Carlos Arroyo

Kelenna Azubuike

Bo Outlaw

Chucky Atkins

Mike James

Darrell Armstrong

Bruce Bowen - Champion

Avery Johnson - Champion

Andres Nocioni

Udonis Haslem - Champion

David Wesley

Raja Bell

Brad Miller

John Starks

Ben Wallace - Champion

Louis Amundson

Chris Andersen,

Matt Barnes,

Devin Brown - Champion

Will Bynum,

Jason Hart

C. J. Watson,

Ime Udoka,

Again..... We are waisting an open seat for no good reason.... If J-Will wasnt able to get the job done when he had limited minutes... what is the point of keeping him? blink.gif