Sign in to follow this  
Captain Hi-Top

FAQ For the New Forum

Welcome to the new look Orlando Magic forums!

There are a lot of little things you can do on the new forum (like changing the "skin" for instance), and I plan to post as many "how to" sections here as possible. I'm not going to claim to know everything about this place, but I am volunteering to update this first post as the thread grows. If you know of something cool here on the new forums and want to share, go ahead, and I will pull in your little trick to the first post to make easy for people to find. Have a question about how to do something? Post is here, once we find a resolution, I will again update this first post.

I hope this helps someone of you out there.

HOT TOPICS

Issues Logging In

If you are having trouble logging in, e-mail help@truebluenation.com and Dave will get you set up.

How to Change Font Type and Size

Read this linkif you want to change the default font type and size in your browser (specific instructions for Firefox, IE, and Chrome). This may or may not impact particular web sites because they can define font type and sizes which can bypass default settings. Give it a try and let us know if it works!

Skins

There are four skin (appearance) choices on the new forum. Two Orlando Magic looks (2009 and 2010), and two IP board looks (one in Lo-Fi mode for cell phone usage). To change the skin, scroll down to the bottom of the page and look to the left hand side, right above the ads. There are two drop down boxes, the first to select the skin, the second to select the language. Only English (USA) is available as a language choice. Simply click on the first drop down box and select the skin you want to use.

Orlando Magic 2010 - Lots of white, with a white jersey material as the background

Orlando Magic '09 - Similar to the look of the previous forum with blue jersey material as the background

IP Board Lo-Fi - Best for really old, slow computers or cell phone browers

IP Board - Basic look. If you are having difficult with the text size of the forum, try this skin

MY SETTINGS

At the top of the page, to the left, next to the "Signed in as _____" is a link called My Settings. The following tips all pertain to the settings within:

Name Changes

That's right, name changes. Now you can change your display name, up to three times in a 30 day period! Go to My Settings, under the Settings tab you will see an option called Change Display Name, click there and enter your new display name in the text box. You may also need to enter your password in the second text box (it might be pre-filled thought).

Just remember, any member can look at your profile and see all of your name changes, so you can't use this option to be a jerk, then change your name and act like it wasn't you.

Signatures and Avatars

Go to My Settings, then the Profile tab to access the Signature and Avatar features.

Use the embedded tools to add or edit a signature under the "Signature" section. Remember, even though the website has no restrictions on signatures and embedded pictures, the mods will ask you to make changes if they are above and beyond limitations set by the management.

The Avatar section will allow you to link to (or upload) a picture to use as your avatar. If you have a picture already hosted somewhere like photobucket.com, you can use a direct link in the URL text box to link to that picture for your avatar. There is also the option to upload a file, though some members have reported issues attempting to do this. There are restrictions on the avatar files. Your avatar must be no bigger than 90 pixels by 90 pixels in size. Uploaded avatars from your computer must be no larger than 50 KB. The following file types are allowed: gif,jpg,jpeg,png. If your hosted picture exceeds the pixel size, the website itself will scale your image down, so need worrying about resizing the image yourself.

Member Title

As well as change your display name, you can also change your member title. Under My Settings, go to the Profile tab. By default, you will be placed into the "Change Profile Information" section. Scroll down tot he "Profile Information" section and you will see the "Member Title" text box. Enter the title you wish to see.

TAGS

The following section will detail particular tags and how they work. For reference, the help option in the editor when creating a reply has a list of the tags and examples of how they work.

Spoiler Button

The Spoiler tag allows you to hide information that can only be viewed after pressing the Spoiler button that is created by the tag. To create the spoiler button, type the spoiler tags before and after the text you wish to hide with the spoiler button, like so:

[spoiler] This is the text I wish to hide. [/spoiler]

Notice that the closing spoiler tag has a slash in the beginning. This is true of all closing tags. That little example I just gave will look like this:

This is the text I wish to hide.

GENERAL

Ignore List

The ignore list can be found in the menu next to the "Signed in as..." that looks like an upside down triangle. Select the "Manage Ignored Users" option. This box will display any users you are currently ignoring, which options you are ignoring, and give you a text box to add users to your list. You can select to ignore posts and/or private messages as well.

Smart Phone Users

Yes, you can view the forums on your phone and change the layout to be more smart phone friendly, but there is also an app available for most smart phones. Tapatalk is available as a free Android app, free for Blackberry users, and for a fee from iTunes for iPhone users. There is also a free IP Board specific app for iPhones.

SCHEDULE IMPORT

Looking to sync the Magic schedule to your calendar? Look no further!

CSV Files

If your calendar can sync with a CSV file (like Outlook can), check out this link to download the Magic Schedule and import into your calendar!

Edit: This is the old schedule (last year) will update with new link once the CSV file is posted for the upcoming season

Google Calender/Android Phones

If you use Google Calendar, or have an Android phone, and want to have the Magic Schedule on your calendar or phone, here you go:

First things first, if you are using an Android phone and don't currently use Google calendar, sign up for a gmail account and start a calendar.

Next, go into your Google Calendar, on the left side find the "Other Calendars" section, and select "Add"

Select "Browse Interesting Calendars", then "Sports", "Basketball", "NBA", and "Orlando Magic"

Congrats! THe Magic schedule is not synced with your Google Calendar and Android phone!

Edit: For now, this only adds the schedule to your Google calendar, it does NOT carry over to your Android phone. Once I find a way around this, I will update.

I will monitor and update this thread to keep a running compilation of FAQ's for the forum. If you want to see something added here, go ahead and post in the thread and let us know!

Enjoy! :D

• Upvote 11

The help button when you're writing a new post is a big 'help' too. It tells you what everything is in the tool box and gives an example of how to use it as well. It's quite helpful on posting youtube clips etc as you no longer need to embed, just copy the web page. I know a few have been confused by this.

Great idea by the way.

Good idea. For those who might be at work and don't want your coworkers seeing Jareth's silly hipster sig, or are accessing via a mobile device, try having it not display images, members signatures, and avatars under Settings > Forums > Board Display Settings.

Something I just noticed and thought I'd add: You can see how many posts you really have by viewing your profile. On my profile it says I have 1375 before the new forum cut some posts but when I post in a thread it says I have 1194 or whatever. Interesting.

Also in your Profile Settings, you can set your member profile to display the last "x" number of registered visitors to your profile. Not particularly useful, but a cool feature. See who idolizes you the most.

Probably my favorite feature is that it automatically resizes pictures for you. In the old forum, if you posted a picture that was freakin huge, it would just get in the way and be obnoxious.

But now, it's resized to fit the posting box. :wub: