Magic Fan 4 Life

Bob Vander Weide: Expect to see more Brandon Bass next season

As many people have barked about in columns, blogs and casual conversations, expect to see Brandon Bass get a lot more playing time at power forward [four slot], a switch that will allow Rashard Lewis to shift to the small forward [three] slot in the lineup.

The organization _ including coach Stan Van Gundy _ seems to have a twinge of regret that Bass didn’t get enough playing time in the regular season to be effective in the playoffs, especially since teammates didn’t have a feel for that particular lineup. It hurt them against a physical and bigger Boston team.

Read More

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/en_fuego/2010/07/bob-vander-weide-expect-to-see-more-brandon-bass-next-season.html

Maybe Bass finally learned some plays.

This thread was lost due to message board update, I just re-posted it.

I think for the most part, you'll see them try a lot of different line ups this season. It's possible they've finally realised that the regular season record isn't as integral with regards to winning a championship. Much rather they will experiment a bit more so the players are ready in the playoffs as apposed to say, Gortat suddenly playing the 4 for extended periods without much in game practice.

Possibly losing 4/5 more games in the regular season is a good sacrifice if it develops a few different line up changes that can used when the normal lineups aren't working in the playoffs. Bass got extended minutes in the Boston series and Gortat played minutes at the 4, they didn't do this all through regular season and understandably, it will cause some confusion when they're thrown in on playoff games that have huge pressure on every shot or every missed assignment on defence towards the tail end of a match.

It shows how far the club has progressesd under SVG when there is a chance they can take a San Antonio outlook on the season and prepare for the playoffs through it as apposed to just hoping to get in and getting home court. Elite teams should have the confidence to beat teams regardless as to whether they have home court or not.

Maybe Bass finally learned some plays.

This thread was lost due to message board update, I just re-posted it.

maybe we'll see shard step up like we know he can and average 25 pts a game in the SF spot:D ? I can only dream.

maybe we'll see shard step up like we know he can and average 25 pts a game in the SF spot:D ? I can only dream.

I would rather see Stan post Rashard up a lot more if he's playing the 3 as apposed to him simply putting up more points and camping on the 3 point line. It's something that Stan has only used sparingly in the last few years but it's something that Rashard is great at. It's just a higher percentage shot over the majority of small forwards. I would just like Stan to work on a few other plays more often during the regular season so we're not as reliant on the 3 shot (not that I want us to abandon what works already) Just try some stuff in actual games and not just in training.

I wonder how many minutes with RA play then? If Bass will be playing more minutes at the 4 there is no room for RA unless there is an injury.

I wonder how many minutes with RA play then? If Bass will be playing more minutes at the 4 there is no room for RA unless there is an injury.

If Bass is playing the minutes at the 4 that are vacated by Lewis playing at the 3, then Ryno might not be impacted much. The real impact might be less minutes at the three for Peaches and Q-Rich.

This is good news.

I think the key is flexibility. Generally we should continue with the 4 out 1 in offence that we run. It's proven to be

successful and causes huge problems for the majority of teams.

In certain situations it would suit us better to revert to a playing with a traditional power forward at the 4, I'm thinking

Boston, L.A. here, and for me Bass is the man for the job. I just don't feel Marcin has the skill set to play next to Dwight down low

and Anderson, who although admittedly is probably the better rebounder does not have the physicality of Bass.

Hopefully Brandon's being studying the SVG playbook over the summer!

I absolutely loved the Brandon Bass signing so I look forward to him in Year 2. Hopefully there will be less blown defensive assignments including my favorite: standing right next to Dwight in the paint like they are going to block a corner kick.

Also Lewis can really score against anyone in the post so I like being able to slide him down to the 3 on occasion as well.

I think for the most part, you'll see them try a lot of different line ups this season. It's possible they've finally realised that the regular season record isn't as integral with regards to winning a championship. Much rather they will experiment a bit more so the players are ready in the playoffs as apposed to say, Gortat suddenly playing the 4 for extended periods without much in game practice.

Possibly losing 4/5 more games in the regular season is a good sacrifice if it develops a few different line up changes that can used when the normal lineups aren't working in the playoffs. Bass got extended minutes in the Boston series and Gortat played minutes at the 4, they didn't do this all through regular season and understandably, it will cause some confusion when they're thrown in on playoff games that have huge pressure on every shot or every missed assignment on defence towards the tail end of a match.

It shows how far the club has progressesd under SVG when there is a chance they can take a San Antonio outlook on the season and prepare for the playoffs through it as apposed to just hoping to get in and getting home court. Elite teams should have the confidence to beat teams regardless as to whether they have home court or not.

Spot on!