Sign in to follow this  
paul.kennedy

magic proposes VC for gilbert trade. deal done by this week!?!?

quote:
Originally posted by Catman:

It's pretty stunning how some people think that Vince is better then Gilbert Arenas.

Arenas is a stud. A star Shooting Guard when healthy. And now with JJ/Q/Pietrus as insurance, the Magic have the depth to cover the games he may miss. Yes, his contract sucks, but he could get bought out first. And if not, obviously the financials have been thought about and approved so they can keep Dwight when he expires.

I am just not sure how it would be bad for the Magic to go get a guy who can guarantee you 20 points a night when they currently do not have one on the roster.

for me it looks like the magic get along on and off the court, and it's not just the gun thing. gilbert has his own website in the honor of how quirky he is long before whe whole gun issue, does and will dwight get along with him? jameer? shard?... we do need a take over scorer to which vince has not been, but i don't know if all of that has to come at the cost of chemistry.

quote:
Originally posted by cunningstunt:

quote:

It's pretty stunning how some people think that Vince is better then Gilbert Arenas.

Arenas is a stud. A star Shooting Guard when healthy. And now with JJ/Q/Pietrus as insurance, the Magic have the depth to cover the games he may miss. Yes, his contract sucks, but he could get bought out first. And if not, obviously the financials have been thought about and approved so they can keep Dwight when he expires.

I am just not sure how it would be bad for the Magic to go get a guy who can guarantee you 20 points a night when they currently do not have one on the roster.

for me it looks like the magic get along on and off the court, and it's not just the gun thing. gilbert has his own website in the honor of how quirky he is long before whe whole gun issue, does and will dwight get along with him? jameer? shard?... we do need a take over scorer to which vince has not been, but i don't know if all of that has to come at the cost of chemistry.

gilbert-arenas-warrior.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Walddo:

Horrible trade. Even with a first round pick, the financial commitment is horrible.

watch basketball before saying dumb things

Gilbert got better every month last year, including 25/8 in december

he would be huge upgrade

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:

quote:

gilbert-arenas-warrior.jpg

http://www.gilbertology.net/gi...from-gilbert-arenas/

quote:
* Changes his sneakers if he did bad during the first half

* When shooting free throws, Arenas spins the ball around his waist and dribbles the ball three times before shooting to help him be more relaxed at the foul line

* Took a shower during halftime against San Antonio

quote:

quote:

Everyone that the Magic have brought in the past several years have gotten along great with the team. I think that is a direct result of Dwight, Jameer, and Rashard going out of their way to make them feel included. Arenas is definitely a little odd but he never came off as a arsehole to me. I think it would be ok.

Honestly, the whole notion of everyone needing to get along is vastly overrated. They need to be able to play together on the court. If they happen to get along off the court, that is fine but not required. The 90's Bulls literally hated each other. Jordan got into a fist fight with Will Perdue. Bill Cartwright threatened to end Jordan's career. Horace Grant despised Phil Jackson. Somehow, they managed to put it all together and win and that's all that mattered.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:
Originally posted by barnettej:

I hear Arenas and all I can think about is how much he actually played and contributed to the Wiz the past 2 yrs... which was about "Zero"...

Agent or not, his contract is worst than Lewis's.....

And the "future" first... what yr is that suppose to be... 2011 or 2012... the difference between the 2 can be a + or - 10 spots in the draft....

I know VC isnt the guy he once was.... but this doesnt sount like a good deal... Keeping in mind his contract expires... giving us cap room....

Honestly... we should start making a run at Melo (moving peices, clearing cap).. but thats just my opinion.

Ask the Nets, Knicks, Bulls, and Clippers how they feel about mortgaging several seasons in the hope of signing a big free agent only to miss out completely. We would really be swinging for the fences in the hopes of getting Carmelo. If we don't get him, does that affect Dwight's decision? Is it worth the risk?

Is the same question I have thinking about Arenas...

The VC experiment didnt workout....

The Rashard has sort of worked out (dismissing his huge contract)....

J - Will Experiment... had mixed results...

Bass Experiment... currently a failure....

Fran Vasquez.. lol... had to throw him in there for laughs....

So far... we havent hit anything we been swinging at...

quote:
Originally posted by M4G1C:

people can say what they want, but arenas is exactly the type of player that can put a team on his back and pretty much score at will.

I feel sorry for Howard, he's supposed to be the face of this team and the #1 option, but no one mentions his name when talking about a player that can put this team on their back and score at will.

Also, I'm impressed that half or most of the people on this forum would prefer to have vince over Arenas. You people make it seem like Vince isn't worth more than a bag of chips and a soft drink. You should be willing to trade him for a happy meal.

quote:
Originally posted by jack l j:

i really do not see this happening, but if it did i would start gil at pg with jj at sg. would be more ballanced on defense with lewis at sf, a better pf, and howard. nelson would be great coming of the bench. jj and nelson will be a nightmare for howard on defense. offense as will suffer as well because of nelson's poor passing decisions.

I hope you realize Jameer is the starter for this team. He just came off a 14 game playoff stretch where he averaged 20 ppg. How many other guys in the NBA have done that, and then questioned if they should start or not??

Gil makes us better no if ands or buts about it. There is just too much risk and too much long term money to do the trade. If we make a trade that will be our set roster for the most part for the next 3 to 4 years (with the exception of bench players) so are we ready to be set with gil for that long

quote:
Originally posted by barnettej:

Is the same question I have thinking about Arenas...

The VC experiment didnt workout....

The Rashard has sort of worked out (dismissing his huge contract)....

J - Will Experiment... had mixed results...

Bass Experiment... currently a failure....

Fran Vasquez.. lol... had to throw him in there for laughs....

So far... we havent hit anything we been swinging at...

Most of those "experiments" were not experiments. Bass was signed to provide front court depth...we will have to see how that works out. Williams was signed to temporarily fix a problem until a long term solution could be provided, which I have to say worked out pretty well. Fran was just a poor draft choice. These guys are roleplayers intended to provide quality depth and nothing more. I don't see how the signing of any of them would affect Dwight's decision one way or the other.

Obviously the Carter trade didn't work out the way we wanted it to. That being said, at least we have the financial flexiblity to go in another direction now. I don't think any of us would be happy if we were saddled with Turk's contract. So, since we had about the same regular season success with Vince without the salary problems that Turk would have caused, doesn't the Vince move have to be considered a bit of a success in that regard?