Sign in to follow this  
Nyce_1

Magic to hire Van Gundy? [official thread]

Stan the Man might have a verbal agreement with us to be the next coach, but that is complete b.s. about him faxing the contract. I rarely call anything out directly like that, but dealing with talent on a regular basis I can tell you that a faxed contract would in no way happen. -ESPECIALLY when the contract is for millions of dollars.

Stan couldn't hop in the car and drive to Orlando? I find that to be silly. Plus, it is most likely in Donovan's contract that no other head coach can be hired while he is coach, hence the lawyers working on voiding it.

I hope and pray SVG is our next coach, but a faxed contract? Not a chance.

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

On ESPN 2 this morning I'm watching Mike and Mike In The Morning.

They are reporting that the Orlando Magic, as a condition to releasing Billy Donovan out of his contract, are asking him to not coach for another NBA team for the duration of what his contract would of been. (Five years)

I didn't see this info anywhere on the forum, so I figured I'd pass that along just in case someone hadn't heard that.

I heard the same thing listening to Mike and Mike and I just went on ESPN.com and actually it is the NBA itself that is trying to do that.

From the article:

Billy Donovan and the Magic entered talks on Monday to terminate the contract that he signed on Friday, but the NBA might have a say in resolving the matter as well, ESPN.com has learned.

Multiple sources said that Donovan is being asked to refrain from coaching in the NBA for five years as one of the terms of his release from his Magic contract. Especially in light of this newest wrinkle, negotiations were expected to continue into Tuesday.

With all the legalities to work out and if the NBA jumps in this thing could drag out all week. It seems that SVG is holding out for the Magic job since he has not formally accepted the Kings job and they interviewed Rambis again yesterday even though SVG had supposedly verbally committed to the job Saturday. He must have gotten light of this situation however and told to stand by. It will be interesting to see what he gets paid since his contract with the heat was 4/12 so he is going to get at least 4-5 based on what they offered Donovan.

Most recent update from the Sun-sentinel (that seem to have contacts close to SVG

quote:

Magic, Kings might offer job to ex-Heat coach Van Gundy

By Ira Winderman

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Posted June 5 2007

Five days ago, former Heat coach Stan Van Gundy was joking about spending the season coaching YMCA basketball.

That's when Billy Donovan was completing his contract with the Orlando Magic, and before Van Gundy had completed his second interview with the Sacramento Kings.

LocalLinks

Now it appears that not only will the YMCA have to wait, but so might one NBA suitor.

With Donovan reversing field and heading back to the University of Florida, and with Van Gundy coming off an impressive second interview with the Kings over the weekend, Van Gundy's days as a Heat consultant appear to be coming to an end.

Van Gundy not only stands on the verge of an offer from the Magic, but could, as soon as today, find himself weighing a contract with the Kings. A decision on his coaching future could come within the next few days.

As has been the case since he returned to the coaching market in April, Van Gundy was cordial but not terribly forthcoming when reached Monday at his Miami-area home.

He said his Saturday interview in Las Vegas with Kings ownership and management "went well" and indicated he soon could be headed to California for further talks, particularly if the Magic winds up in further legal machinations with Donovan.

The issue now is whether Van Gundy's next trip comes a bit closer to home.

Van Gundy was the only other candidate to interview with Orlando before the Magic extended a five-year, $27.5 million contract to Donovan, an offer the Gators' coach accepted last Thursday and then reconsidered over the weekend.

Van Gundy said he left last Wednesday's interview in Orlando feeling comfortable with the Magic situation.

"I thought the interview went well," he said.

Van Gundy's interest in the Orlando job includes proximity that would keep him near his parents, who live in Miami-Dade, and his mother-in-law, who lives in Lake Mary. Van Gundy also was raised just outside of Sacramento and still has ties to that area.

Theres actually some good news there. IF Stan is allowed to take a few days to decide then the Donovan thing could clear up in time to still get him.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicmaninMiami:

Theres actually some good news there. IF Stan is allowed to take a few days to decide then the Donovan thing could clear up in time to still get him.

I don't think he wants a few days; he wants the Magic job. I also don't think we can afford a few days. With the draft coming up, and FA, it would be best to get him here ASAP to get to work.

Just make sure he doesn't have to do a PC in Miami ;-)

quote:
Originally posted by Black And Blue:

Stan the Man might have a verbal agreement with us to be the next coach, but that is complete b.s. about him faxing the contract. I rarely call anything out directly like that, but dealing with talent on a regular basis I can tell you that a faxed contract would in no way happen. -ESPECIALLY when the contract is for millions of dollars.

Stan couldn't hop in the car and drive to Orlando? I find that to be silly. Plus, it is most likely in Donovan's contract that no other head coach can be hired while he is coach, hence the lawyers working on voiding it.

Exactly what I was thinking. I think this guy just exposed himself. Contracts need original signatures (pen ink on paper). We can fax him the contract so he could look it over, but would have to be here in person, with witness', while he signed it.

I hope he's our coach too, but I can guarentee that the didnt sign it and fax it back to the Magic...

quote:
Originally posted by RoBo2002:

quote:

Exactly what I was thinking. I think this guy just exposed himself. Contracts need original signatures (pen ink on paper). We can fax him the contract so he could look it over, but would have to be here in person, with witness', while he signed it.

I hope he's our coach too, but I can guarentee that the didnt sign it and fax it back to the Magic...

Didn't William Donovan do the same thing; sign & fax? Then, before/after his PC here, he signed the real contract to make it "official"? I don't remember.

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

quote:
Originally posted by RoBo2002:

quote:

Didn't William Donovan do the same thing; sign & fax? Then, before/after his PC here, he signed the real contract to make it "official"? I don't remember.

Yes that is essentially what he did. I do not know how they do this legally but it is probably a very breif synopsis of the contract that he signs basically saying he agrees to the terms.

Being at RDV with about 100 witnesses made it official.

I also like that he is William, that is nyce. I will be doing the same from now on. Billy is dead to me.

quote:
I don't think he wants a few days; he wants the Magic job.

I don't think so either but he might have to stall if the donovan thing can't be rectified today.

Still is it not another endorsement that losing Donovan wouldn't be bad from a basketball level? We are now in line to get a coach that no expert doesn't think is a solid coach and two NBA savvy teams wanted as their FIRST option (Sac and Indy).

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

quote:
Originally posted by fooajk:

you think its a good move to hire someone so quickly. Don't get me wrong, I think SVG is the best we can get right now. But how about Larry Brown?

hes the best candidate if we don't want darko back.

...and don't want Dwight back and Trevor and Jameer and Carlos...

But, hey, Pat Garrity would be happy, and that's all that really matters....

SVG is the best option out there and if we wait PJ will be our coach, or this Rambis fella....

SVG wants the job he knows how to develop guards he did develop Wade, and he worked under Pat Riley, maybe he is the coach that will take us where we want to go.....

Stan the man Van gundy

quote:
Originally posted by MagicmaninMiami:

quote:
I don't think he wants a few days; he wants the Magic job.

We are now in line to get a coach that no expert doesn't think is a solid coach and two NBA savvy teams wanted as their FIRST option (Sac and Indy).

Very well said, a lot more teams would go after him if they could? The heat, from what I understand kept him connected for that very reason! If you have a good basketball mind like Bird, who needs to replace a Carlisle, that is one heck of an endorsement!

That to me makes him actually a no brainer, also he waited until April to through his name back into the ring, and he is geting more looks than any of the rest.........that also says something!!!!!!