Sign in to follow this  
orlandoftw

how stupid do you feel now

I honestly believe New Orleans will trade Chris Paul next year prior to the trade deadline. The Hornets will blow hard this upcoming season and Paul will openly demand a trade.

quote:
Originally posted by Give Me Redick All Day:

They say violent video games are responsible for a child's bad behavior, but I disagree: I believe it's the parents who should be held accountable for the misdeeds of their offspring.

100%

Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool and a half.

I disagree with that to the extent that I don't buy into the argument that any one thing is capable of crippling a child's psyche.

I do believe that a constant culture of reinforcement towards amoral behavior, the kinds of behavior often in found in adult media, can have negative effects on effective child development if the discrepancies between those cultural phenomena and the real world aren't addressed and understood by the viewer, in this case the child.

But what idiots like Jack Thompson don't understand is that that problem doesn't apply to just videogames. It's also movies, news, etc. Our culture is an incredibly violent one, and people growing up in that culture tend to have opinions on violence to match.

Not to mention the fact that there is, in my mind, a much more damaging perversion of young minds that exists everywhere and goes completely unchecked.

To paraphrase someone else's argument: Exposure to The Karate Kid has ruined the lives of more people than violence in video games ever could.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

They say violent video games are responsible for a child's bad behavior, but I disagree: I believe it's the parents who should be held accountable for the misdeeds of their offspring.

100%

I disagree with that to the extent that I don't buy into the argument that any one thing is capable of crippling a child's psyche.

I do believe that a constant culture of reinforcement towards amoral behavior, the kinds of behavior often in found in adult media, can have negative effects on effective child development if the discrepancies between those cultural phenomena and the real world aren't addressed and understood by the viewer, in this case the child.

But what idiots like Jack Thompson don't understand is that that problem doesn't apply to just videogames. It's also movies, news, etc. Our culture is an incredibly violent one, and people growing up in that culture tend to have opinions on violence to match.

Not to mention the fact that there is, in my mind, a much more damaging perversion of young minds that exists everywhere and goes completely unchecked.

To paraphrase someone else's argument: Exposure to The Karate Kid has ruined the lives of more people than violence in video games ever could.

While I don't necessarily disagree with any one point, I will say that because of my parents I was better able to understand the difference between reality and fantasy, hence becoming a well-adjusted adult.

The movies I watched when I was a kid would make a new age soccer mom crap her Depends.

dfiuvhevreivbevf riferqfowejfoidjcnwefhi euf i3h r]3hj o9ufr oi eofih oiefo4ijf oiu[fin'e[finelcndiuchud jiud ids idi 8hjd[ 98djcsdikcn diuh [dsvihsd'oc hds b9d8iu h [so ijsdoijc [soi IBTL Yc[PWKDOIVYDFYVYEW IURTY39RT7830VKJDF V9DH PSOIDKJCN;kKHN[OIN[OIHoij;khuknkjhicuk;jncvjlkebcviicvkdnvkjdb j kjsdncviodcvnew fckjwencvd'cv

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

100%

Thanks DoM, haven't had one of those in a while. I missed them.