Sign in to follow this  
Nyce_1

Magic going in for Chris Paul

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

quote:
Tick. . . . Tick. . . . Tick. . .

Those are the seconds ticking away on the trade exception the Orlando Magic received last summer in the complicated sign-and-trade deal that sent Hedo Turkoglu to the Toronto Raptors.

That exception, which is worth $6,864,200, according to ShamSports.com, could be paired with a draft pick in a deal to receive a player who is scheduled to earn up to $6,964,200 for next season.

But the exception expires once the clock strikes midnight.

Orlando General Manager Otis Smith says he has no plans at the moment to use the exception.

http://ht.ly/28T3P

FIRE OTIS AMIRITE

I know you're joking...but if this superteam is built in Miami, and all we do is sign Chris Duhon...I'll be making "FIRE OTIS" T-Shirts at Mother Falcon before too long.

quote:
Originally posted by Beast_Mode:

LOL oh wow......

The mere hint of LeBron James coming to Miami has already made the Heat winners -- at the box office.

Season-ticket sales for the coming Heat season were suspended Thursday afternoon, after the entire supply of available seats were sold out.

That doesn't mean all 19,600 seats are gone for the 41 home games. Not every seat has been released for sale yet, and some will be held back for single-game purchases as well.

The Heat declined comment on the ticket situation.

I SAY WE RAID THEIR PLACE WHEN WE PLAY THEM MAGIC PACK THE ARENA (best we can with single seats tix)

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by 30Assists:

2007 offseason - Orlando signs Rashard Lewis. Max free agent.

2008 offseason - Orlando signs Mickael Pietrus

2009 offseason - Orlando trades for All-Star shooting guard Vince Carter and Ryan Anderson. Also signs Matt Barnes, Jason Williams, Brandon Bass, and match Marcin Gortat's offer from Dallas.

Yeah, micromoves...

Soooooo....signing a player who isn't even the best player on his team at the time ('Shard, when Allen was available),

Signing a bench player (Pietrus),

And signing a slew of bench players (excepting Barnes, who was a career journeyman),

are huge moves?

You're right - the bells rang loud when we signed....Jason Williams. Forgive my ignorance.

Now you're just saying stupid things for the hell of it.

Allen wasn't ever available, either; he was traded.

Should the Magic be forced to sign a max FA every year? Or should they just shuffle starters in and out every year so that we can always be signing new starting players?

Really?

Okay.

I'm saying that we have a dominant defensive center, an undersized PG who plays his heart out, but can't get everyone else involved when he's the only one that create his own shot.

We have an oversized SF playing his heart out out of position at PF.

We have a SF who's a fair defender and can't score to save his life.

We have a SG who's past his prime, can't defend later into games, and can't create his own shot like he used to.

I'm not asking the Magic to go out and get the Shaq or LeBron every year, and had you actually read what I was saying, you would have gotten that.

I'm saying that, since we climbed past Detroit, our weaknesses have remained the same:

We lack another big player who can get rebounds and keep defenses from doubling Howard or just throwing 3-5 bigs at him with 18-30 fouls to use without fear that our 'other guy' will get rebounds.

We lack that slasher/scorer that torches defenses and can regularly get his own shot. Granted, 'Meer has performed brilliantly in this role, but he needs to be our distributor. That's why we were all so excited when VC was signed - we thought he was that guy.

I don't blame the organization for biting on that one, I thought it was a good deal, but it didn't work - it won't work. We need someone else.

Duhon is not that someone else.

Unless, of course, you're saying that Duhon, a backup PG, is going to be the answer to all our problems?

In this league, it's rare that you get ahead WITHOUT making the big move.

ROCKETS: Signed Drexler, teamed with Olajuwan.

BULLS: Lucked out by having Pippen and Jordan on the same team for a long, long time.

LAKERS: Got Shaq, got Gasol [on this point? Maybe we need to have Otis go work for the Hornets so he can trade Paul to us for nothing, like West did with Pau], got Artest.

DETROIT: Got Wallace.

HEAT: Got Shaq.

CELTICS: Got Allen and some other no-name to play PF.

So I stand by what I said.

We don't need to make THE BIG MOVE every year, but one of these years? We need to make the right move.

At least we have Dwight wrapped up for a long time.

And I don't want you jumping all over my **** for not liking this team: I love this team. I've loved this team since 1989. My username comes from the days of SCOTT-FREAKING-SKILES.

This is a good team - it just never seems to get over that hump and win the championship. Signing Rashard Lewis was a good move.

Comparing that to, say, the Heat signing Bosh and LeBron (if that really goes down) is idiocy.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

Some of us are ridiculous? This team is on the cusp of winning a championship. Your words. Four sentences later you're accusing the organization of spending to fill the arena instead of spending to win? Why do you think we are on the cusp? Luck? You think the team just tossed a few bucks around to fill the seats and happened into two abck to back trips to the ECF's and one trip to the NBA Finals?

The sad part is, you want Otis to spend the TPE just to spend it. Because it will make you feel better about the team. Not spending it, and letting it expire is much better than spending it on someone who won't fit with this team and helping another team by passing the TPE and a pick along to them in the process.

Let's say, at the end of the day, Carter plays the entire 2010-2011 season. Are you going to be *****ing and moaning because Otis didn't trade him? It's already been stated through several sources that Carter has been shopped.

If, at this point, you are seriously questioning the teams willingness to spend money and desire to win, then point that finger at yourself when you want to toss out the ridiculous label.

First of all, we were EXTREMELY lucky with Dwight Howard. Yes, we didn't let him Shaq us, and we put a contention-quality team around him. Yes, our management has been much more willing to spend as of late. I give them credit. All I'm saying is I don't want them to be satisfied with the team we have, because frankly, we're not good enough to win a championship. The reports make it sound like we're absolutely letting the TPE expire, we're completely satisfied with minor adjustments, etc. That's NOT okay with me. If they're trying to improve and willing to spend, great, that's all I want. I'm just skeptical.

quote:
Originally posted by 30Assists:

We lack another big player who can get rebounds and keep defenses from doubling Howard or just throwing 3-5 bigs at him with 18-30 fouls to use without fear that our 'other guy' will get rebounds.

We lack that slasher/scorer that torches defenses and can regularly get his own shot.

those types of players grow on trees! Let me go pick a few up at walmart.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

OMG!!

DONE DEAL!!!

HANG ON FOR THE RIDE GUYS!!!

You still strapped on?