Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Root Problem ... System or Players?

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

We need addi to create sigs for our movement to get rudy gay and kevin love here for next season

GAY LOVE 2011!!!

That would be Magical.

quote:
Originally posted by GhostAnime:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:
Originally posted by GhostAnime:

Rebounding fine but it's not like we were hurt defensively at the 4 spot; it is offensively.

Follow Dwight defensively in game 4 and watch how often Boston exploits Orlando by pulling Dwight out and taking advantage of the fact he has no support...

And where would that support be? Boston has two guys that can shoot outside of the paint. They'd draw both out.

Follow:

Perimeter player breaks down D...

Dwight comes over to challenge shot...

Who rotates down to cover Dwight's man, guard rim, & rebound?

Answer, a small forward.

Now, let's look at the same scenerio with Boston...

KG or Sheed or Big Baby, in other words, resistance.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

Follow:

Perimeter player breaks down D...

Dwight comes over to challenge shot...

Who rotates down to cover Dwight's man, guard rim, & rebound?

Answer, a small forward.

Now, let's look at the same scenerio with Boston...

KG or Sheed or Big Baby, in other words, resistance.

how many times have we seen the Celtics big come in for a dunk/layup on this exact play? Van Gundy has no answers for this play. In hindsight I wish Stan would have practiced/coached/utilized the twin towers look more often; I think it could have worked. The Conference Finals is not the time to practice.

u need players that fit the system, or u need players and build a system around them.

stan has failed to formulate any offensive game plan. everything we do is pick and roll and the c's stay on the shooters. defensively we cannot do a **** thing against ray allen off screens, and our rebounding has been PATHETIC

Vince has to go, we need an alpha male at the 2 spot, he is content to just be a bystander

i think the strech 4 is ok and is effective to an extent, however we need another trick up our sleve. i think a good two post offense where we can get dwight playing with either bass or gortat against bigger line ups may just ease that pressure.

also the addition of a better transition game would be more benifical.

Here's my take on what's going on... Boston is totoally on fire right now!!! They are clicking on all cylinders.

That being said, even though we swept the 1st 2 rounds, as a team we did not play that well, the other teams just played worse! We swept the Cats without much Dwight, We swept the Hawks with no answer to Dwight, but we have not had a single game with everybody clicking!

Here's what I would do for game 4. First off all, NO SOFT FOULS! We have nothing to lose so we start D12, Gortat his instructions... go after every offensive board and back up D12 when he has to come out of the paint, and put Rondo on his butt if he tries to get to the paint, Barnes on Pierce, JJ on Ray, and Meer. When VC comes in he gets yanked after the 1st fade away off balance clunker he chucks up, his instructions... go to the hole or pass only! We only play Shard when KG is out, we split the back up PG duties between AJ and JWill. If Shard is still not hitting we play Anderson instead. Anybody that plays at any time like they're not playing to win gets yanked! If this works we continue on to game 5 with the same lineup.

D12/Bass

Gortat/Shard/Anderson

Barnes/MP

JJ/VC/Meer

Meer/AJ/JWill

i have said many times that the magic need a better pg to start. this series has once again proven that fact to be true. i also thought that vc was not the answer. in this system the ball needs to keep moving and he stops it. nelson over dribbles and can not find the open shooter on many occasions. until howard learns to read the defense, pass out of troble, not force his shot, make free throws, and know his role, the magic will have a hard time winning it all. they are close but still have some room to improve. if i were the magic gm i would look for a top pg first. nelson would be great off the bench as a scorer. second i would look at some how moving vc. i like jj but his role is off the bench at 25 mins or so a game. we need a 2 who can defend, run, and pass. those days are behind vc.

Great question Soul Bro. I wanted to answer last night but I was to disgusted with our effort to answer objectively.

I think it is the players and not so much the system. Stan's system has led the Magic to the Finals last year and the ECF this year.

I think what the Celtics have exposed is that we need to have more versatile players on offense.

When we play the elite teams with size and length we need a power forward who can hit the 15-18 foot jumper consistently as well as help Dwight on the boards when the other team pulls him out to the perimeter on defense.

With Dwight we will always be a top 2 or 3 defensive team in the league. Even with a myriad of turnovers and lack of hustle the Celtics have scored 92, 95, and 94 points.

I always thought Vince was a one year rental and he had this season to disprove everything we have always thought about him. Turns out everyone else was right and he just does not have it in him.

The single most important thing we could do as a team is to develop Dwight on offense a little more. He has it in him we just need to take the handcuffs off him. Let him shoot those jumpers 3 or 4 times a game. Say you lead us on offense and we will follow. Even if he gets to the line a bunch 1 point on offense is better than 0 every time down the floor.

There is no way you would be able to single cover him then and you would have options.

I think another year in the system will enable Bass to be a more effective option and I would expect Vince and Gortat to be shopped pretty hard this summer.

If Kendrick Perkins and Rasheed Wallace can cover Dwight 1 on 1, then we have no chance, period. It may be a system issue, but only because Dwight can't take advantage.

The Perkins solution: Bank shot.

The Wallace solution: Grow balls and don't allow the frenemy BS.

Rashard isn't the problem. Jameer & Carter are the problem. Since Carter isn't going anywhere with that contract, Magic need to trade Jameer for an actual PG. Jameer did okay with Hedo but since he's gone Magic need a real point-guard.

Great posts!!! At the very least, this team needs someone who can penetrate and create his own shot. I anticipate that Otiz will go hard after one of these players:

1. Chris Paul -- From what I heard second hand from someone VERY close to Otiz, Otiz was seriously discussing a deal with NO in the Fall for Paul. With the NO ownership change, my guess is this option is now off the table.

2. Joe Johnson -- Rev's guy said we were/are interested. Would they do a sign-n-trade with us instead of losing him for nothing to NY, NJ, etc?

3. Dwayne Wade -- Pipe dream but one Otiz really likes.

The players I believe Otiz would be open to trading:

1. VC -- This is obvious and could give another team long-term cap relief.

2. Tat -- Very tradable. ATL and OKC are just two of the teams that would like to have a true center like Tat.

3. Jameer -- If Paul is an option, bye-bye Jameer.

4. Lewis -- Ain't happening b/c of his contract ... unless for Arenas (boo).

5. Everyone else not named Dwight.