Sign in to follow this  
Osprey

Students Punished for Wearing American Flag Shirts on Cinco de Mayo

http://www.nydailynews.com/new...n_cinco_de_mayo.html

quote:
A handful of California students got an unexpected lesson at their high school this week: Don't wear your stars and stripes on Cinco de Mayo.

Five Morgan Hill, California students were asked to take off their American flag bandannas and turn their T-shirts inside out after students complained, according to NBC news in San Francisco.

Many members of Live Oak High School's large Mexican-American student population that felt it was offensive for the students to wear the American flag on a day that's supposed to celebrate Mexican heritage.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new...o.html#ixzz0nAUNkvMg

Seriously, this makes me weep for our country. You know its getting bad when our own flag is considered offensive in our own country.

Mexican Heritage my ***. It's the Mexican equivalent of St. Patrick's Day.

It's the Mexican equivalent of the 4th of July. Everyone looks for an excuse to get wasted.

I think it's ridiculous that kids would be punished for wearing anything that doesn't violate dress code.

While I don't agree with the fact that they made them take it off, it's obvious they were trying to stir up alittle something. Having said that, they still have every right to wear the shirts and bandannas. Cause we all wear bandannas these days. icon_rolleyes.gif

Most schools don't allow the wearing of bandannas, but I assume a school with a large Mexican population gave up trying to enforce that rule a long time ago.

they were trying to start trouble.

Im not a fan of preemptive punishment though. Its not a given that the shirts woud have started a fight.

quote:
Originally posted by jecMagicMan:

Most schools don't allow the wearing of bandannas, but I assume a school with a large Mexican population gave up trying to enforce that rule a long time ago.

I've been over there. You should see the trouble they're having with sombreros and short kids sprinting everywhere they go

Speedy%20Gonzales%20internet.jpg

quote:

It's the Mexican equivalent of the 4th of July. Everyone looks for an excuse to get wasted.

I think it's ridiculous that kids would be punished for wearing anything that doesn't violate dress code.

MYTH

September 16th is the Mexican Independence Day

http://www.inside-mexico.com/featureindep.htm

Also, whether or not these kids did it to piss off Mexicans, they have the right to do it. Schools can't deny students 1st Amendment Rights because they feel like it.

Tinker V. Des Moines 1969

Since when in America are students not allowed to make a stand on issues or display Patriotism?

This is Political Correctness gone amok.

quote:
Originally posted by Osprey23:

quote:

MYTH

Also, whether or not these kids did it to piss off Mexicans, they have the right to do it. Schools can't deny students 1st Amendment Rights because they feel like it.

Since when in America are students not allowed to make a stand on issues or display Patriotism?

Well, if enough people believe in a myth, it really doesn't matter to most people how inaccurate it is, unfortunately.

This is garbage and O-Dub is exactly right. I can not believe I'm living in a country where wearing shirts representing our own flag would be considered "offensive". Is this seriously what I went to Afghanistan for?? I'm hoping like hell that it isn't, cause that year could have been better spent in my son's life.

Cinco de Mayo isn't ANYTHING to Mexicans except a victory over the French in one battle. Mexican Independence Day isn't until September. This is only an excuse for people to get drunk and stupid, and if I were a Mexican, I would be pissed at them for perverting my history just to have an excuse to drink.

Edit: O-Dub beat me to it on the September issue.

quote:
Originally posted by HighAngleEd:

This is garbage and O-Dub is exactly right. I can not believe I'm living in a country where wearing shirts representing our own flag would be considered "offensive". Is this seriously what I went to Afghanistan for?? I'm hoping like hell that it isn't, cause that year could have been better spent in my son's life.

Cinco de Mayo isn't ANYTHING to Mexicans except a victory over the French in one battle. Mexican Independence Day isn't until September. This is only an excuse for people to get drunk and stupid, and if I were a Mexican, I would be pissed at them for perverting my history just to have an excuse to drink.

Edit: O-Dub beat me to it on the September issue.

+1 for the post +infinity for your tour of service. Thank you.

You guys are missing the point. Its not about the T-shirts, its about causing trouble. The kids weren't saying I love my country they were saying **** you mexicans for being in our country.

You guys are pretty maive if you take this at face value.

And Osprey, Kids dont have the right to do whatever they want in the name of free speech. I found that out in high school.

quote:
Originally posted by Osprey23:

quote:

MYTH

quote:
The Court ruled that this symbolic speech--"closely akin to pure speech"--could only be prohibited by school administrators if they could show that it would cause a substantial disruption of the school's educational mission.

so yes, if it started a race war in the school the administration has a right to prevent such displays. Same thing happened in my middle school when blacks got into fights with a bunch of rednecks for flaunting the confederate flag.