Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Official referee venting thread.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:
Originally posted by cunningstunt:

you think with all of that money they could add a 4th ref.

Adding a fourth ref would only compound the current problems.

yeah i was thinking about that after i wrote that.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

We drew Bennett Salvatore for tonight.

Crap.

By my count Bennett blew four of the five whistles on Dwight and all three of the extremely questionable phantom variety.

Ty, I think you just graduated from reverend to prophet.

quote:

quote:

I wonder if reducing the number of refs to 2 would help? Or at the very least reducing the average age to 50.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wonder if reducing the number of refs to 2 would help? Or at the very least reducing the average age to 50.

I would think so because that would be 1 less set of eyes to see & call every little tick tack foul. It'll have its pros and cons, but anything is better than this.

Makes you wonder how things would've turned out with the replacement refs earlier.

quote:

quote:

quote:

the years of experience required is pretty insane, i think bavetta is still considered a rookie.

quote:

quote:

quote:

What about removing the review of film for team tendencies and including the review of missed or bad calls.

quote:

What about removing the review of film for team tendencies and including the review of missed or bad calls.

Absolutely! It is despicable that there is no accountability program for refs. They should be reprimanded, then fined, then suspended for the large quantity of missed calls they perpetrate on the game.

Can you imagine if somebody started a website and chronicled every game and every referee's tendancy toward making bad calls? If we can look at statistical metrics that incorporate every aspect of play from a player's perspective, why shouldn't we be able to do the same with the officials that have a growing role in impacting the game?

Supposedly the efs are reviewed on a game by game basis, but who knows wther this is true.

The refs are who they are. They make bad calls and every fan believes his team deserved more calls. No one ever thinks the refs were good.

Blaming the refs is a weak excuse though. Teams need to adapt to how the refs are calling a game and calls tend to balance each other out.

Let's look at Howard. There are some night where the refs will let him jump and challenge shots in the paint and other where they won't. He needs to adapt to how the refs are calling him. If he can't play physical then he needs to play smarter. Get himself out of the charge zone, set his feet and take a charge. It sounds crazy since he is so physically dominate, but sometimes that physicality hinders him.

quote:
Originally posted by MMacOH:

Supposedly the efs are reviewed on a game by game basis, but who knows wther this is true.

The refs are who they are. They make bad calls and every fan believes his team deserved more calls. No one ever thinks the refs were good.

Blaming the refs is a weak excuse though. Teams need to adapt to how the refs are calling a game and calls tend to balance each other out.

Let's look at Howard. There are some night where the refs will let him jump and challenge shots in the paint and other where they won't. He needs to adapt to how the refs are calling him. If he can't play physical then he needs to play smarter. Get himself out of the charge zone, set his feet and take a charge. It sounds crazy since he is so physically dominate, but sometimes that physicality hinders him.

HOw can Dwight adapt to the refs calling fouls where he makes no foul whatsoever.

For example, he made a clean block on Wallace last night. What should he do? No longer block shots? Not go to the game?

Or the refs are calling fouls when players flop. So what should one do, no longer put themselves in any situation where a player can flop? How do you do that?

SMACKDADDY I DONT NORMALLY SEE THis on a website but i really think that your idea has not only merit but also a chance at being something that might influence the game on a broad scale.

Let alone the fact that if done professionally and accurately you might even have a chance at monetary gain through website advertising and additional exposure through the media writing about it. I would say that even after all your time and effort (lets say 2 years worth ) i can see it wanting to be absorbed or bought by another company for its info and stuff.

think about what ever Calculation or formula you come up also being copywrited so that you can rank effciency of a particular ref or a rating based on their ability to change the flow of a game. Maybe even a weighted formula based on regular fouls vs techs vs percentage of total fouls called in the game...

Hmm this really has potential if you could get the right ppl behind it...

quote:
Originally posted by MMacOH:

and how do you adapt to a random variable? a physical play in one quarter is a foul the next quarter, if it's a tie, the fouls is on dwight.

also on tnt they had a 5 second interview from barnes 'dwight gets no respect from the refs..' he went on to saying a couple of other things, i forget, but you know that will never be played again unless dwight kills a ref in game.