Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Official referee venting thread.

Completely agree with you KingBeaterD12,

Im in Aus and over the last few years have had the thought that NBA is heading towards the soccer 'diving' type of plays.

Im a basketball fan and barely watch soccer besides international games. And always get so annoyed with soccer players 'diving' and 'acting' but this is what is seen in the NBA (not to the same extent).

Players like:

Ginobili

Varejao

just to name a couple, are killing the game and the worst thing is that the refs call there 'flops'. They need to stop it before it gets to far. Reward defenders for consistent toughness and for consistent flopness.

quote:
Originally posted by KandiKane:

Completely agree with you KingBeaterD12,

Im in Aus and over the last few years have had the thought that NBA is heading towards the soccer 'diving' type of plays.

Im a basketball fan and barely watch soccer besides international games. And always get so annoyed with soccer players 'diving' and 'acting' but this is what is seen in the NBA (not to the same extent).

Players like:

Ginobili

Varejao

just to name a couple, are killing the game and the worst thing is that the refs call there 'flops'. They need to stop it before it gets to far. Reward defenders for consistent toughness and for consistent flopness.

It has gotten to far and I doubt the NBA that the NBA do anything about it. We've witnessed flopping for the last 5 to 10 years and there has been nothing been done to clean it up.

Yeah i agree; if refs think someone flops it should be whistled as a technical foul (at least).

Also interesting to see that just like in football, Latin American players are the ones who flop the most (Ginobili, Varejao, Oberto), dont get me wrong others do it too (Tyrus obviously, Pierce comes to mind).

Don't get me wrong i like watching football but all those weak *** dives, flops and acts + the whining to refs without punishment are ruining that game.

but it's embedded in the friggin' sports culture over there, winning is the only thing that counts, by any means.

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

We drew Bennett Salvatore for tonight.

Crap.

By my count Bennett blew four of the five whistles on Dwight and all three of the extremely questionable phantom variety.

Regarding the flopping, I think there should be a post game review and fine system. Every week the floppers would be announced, and they would be assigned "flopping" fouls (instead of technicals.) The flops would be cut and publicly posted on NBA.com . There would be an increasing level of fines with each flop, and say after 10 flopping fouls, there would be a game suspension without pay for every next two. After 15, it would be every game.

This would humiliate the players, and we all know that image is very important to them. More importantly, it would take the burden off the refs in game. They could call what they see and not have to worry about it.

Note: Obviously, trying to draw charges are different, but things like Chandler's flop last game or the consistent BS the Side show Bob pulls.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

Crap.

By my count Bennett blew four of the five whistles on Dwight and all three of the extremely questionable phantom variety.

He also was the ref who called MP dunk from an out of bounds pass as Offensive Goaltending during the Magic/Lakers game

quote:
Originally posted by AcuWill:

Regarding the flopping, I think there should be a post game review and fine system. Every week the floppers would be announced, and they would be assigned "flopping" fouls (instead of technicals.) The flops would be cut and publicly posted on NBA.com . There would be an increasing level of fines with each flop, and say after 10 flopping fouls, there would be a game suspension without pay for every next two. After 15, it would be every game.

This would humiliate the players, and we all know that image is very important to them. More importantly, it would take the burden off the refs in game. They could call what they see and not have to worry about it.

Note: Obviously, trying to draw charges are different, but things like Chandler's flop last game or the consistent BS the Side show Bob pulls.

If you want to stop flopping, a post game review process that can charge the player with a technical foul for any flop that was called a foul during the game would suffice. Particularly since it would count toward the seqason total for technical fouls and push players closer to being suspended for multiple infractions.

Here is my problem with the officiating overall.

The NBA is a multi-billion dollar industry with 100's of millions of fans/viewers. It would seem that with the easily discernable inequities that not only exist from game to game, but from play to play, and with the technological capabilities that exist today to not only explain but also justify infractions, that the NBA with it's overwhelming depth of resources would have some sort of accountability/review program in place. Instead, the NBA has programs in place where officials are required to review game tape to scout player & team tendencies leading them to develop subjective notions of how certain players or teams should be officiated rather than just calling what they see. The entire process ends up being counterintuitive and continues to lead to fan questions and grublings without answers ever being provided by the league.

If there truly are no conspiracies (and I'm not saying there are), there are at the very least biases, and the league should address those concerns by inserting a completely objective/transparent system, laying decade old theories to rest that will persist until comprehensively resolved.

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Rule:

quote:

quote:

Crap.

He also was the ref who called MP dunk from an out of bounds pass as Offensive Goaltending during the Magic/Lakers game

He's a horrific referee.

quote:
Originally posted by UBBALLER8:

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Rule:

quote:

quote:

Crap.

He's a horrific referee.

i'd like to know how he can keep a straight face during all of it.