Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Official referee venting thread.

i think we had some 'tempo control' in the nuggets/jazz game last night, or at least it seemed that way. at the end of a game all a player like melo can do is get up and walk away, he knows they give him a lifestyle in exchange for silence on the issue, it's what it is.

i really don't care what the refs want to call, as long as it's consistent, if a player can take a major swipe at dwight on one end, let him take a major swipe at that same player at the other end. if they let us play physical in one half, let us play physical in the other half without blowing the whistle. it's either the refs are all very stupid, or they all know what they're doing when it comes to controlling the flow of a game, and i'd put my money on the latter.

Let's face it, officiating big men is hard from what refs have said. No one wants to see your Star/Franchise player riding the bench because of foul trouble every other game but most bigs are. So I can see why a lot of Magic fans, including myself sometimes think the leauge has an agenda against us.

Consistency is my thing as well.

Gerald Wallace cannot literally jump on Ryan Anderson's back and get a jump ball call and then have a whistle against Vince for a phantom touch foul on the other end.

I also think it is up to players to take advantage. If you see that Gerald Wallace is getting continual foul calls by driving to the basket then our guys need to be doing the same thing. Force the refs to make a call in your favor.

Most if not all NBA teams tend to let up when they get those 15-20 point leads and often times you will see the scores get back down into single digits. It is usually a combo of the refs, the team down being the aggressor, and lackadaisical play by the team with the lead.

Also having an intimidating home court helps as well. Refs are terrified to make key calls in places like Portland and Utah because the fans are on top of them and they get intimidated.

I doubt the league has it "out" for any team. I do believe the team they think will make the league the most money will get the benefit of the whistle, anybody that doubts that watch need to rewatch the Lakers v Portland and Lakers V Kings series. That was awful.

quote:
Originally posted by A BETTER DJ:

if a guy is on the floor with the ball rolling around-that's traveling

In college this would be a true statement, but I'm fairly sure that this is not the case in the NBA.

quote:
Gerald Wallace cannot literally jump on Ryan Anderson's back and get a jump ball call and then have a whistle against Vince for a phantom touch foul on the other end.

This was the most egregious thing I can remember. There were also a few other times where I felt like Vince and Pietrus maybe JJ too, moved their feet really well staying in front of Wallace but Wallace still got the blocking call in his favor.

What bothered me the most about those blocking calls on Wallace were that it's just foreshadowing what a potential ECF would be like again vs the Cavs with Lebron going straight into guys and getting to the line 20 times a game.

After the Eastern Conference Finals last year, everyone should know that the league has no integrity.