Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Official referee venting thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Svanxx:

Dampier is going to be gone for at least a game or have a huge fine.

I think it's a game. Not only did he criticize an official, but he call one out. Smart move after Stern threatens a coach with 10 championships? Don't think so.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

For anybody that wants to see what Kyler thinks, read the comments - http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16037

quote:
the poeple who understand the rules, understand that NBA Refs do a pretty good job.

This is probably my favorite. Is he saying that Phil Jackson, SVG, Larry Brown, etc don't understand the rules?

LOL, that would be why I don't clutter my brain with his nonsense.

Dwight is going to have to careful this afternoon, and for goodness sake do not say anything to crawford, or he will get a tech foul quickly. It could be worse we could have gotten Collins, Brothers or Derosa.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

LOL, that would be why I don't clutter my brain with his nonsense.

Have you read some of the other comments?

I actually respect Steve a lot more than most people on this board, but I do find myself disagreeing with him frequently. Like this...

quote:
I don't agree... I am friendly with a couple of officials, and I can tell you my experience is that these guys could careless about the so-called Superstar calls... they have a tough job and they focus on doing the best job they can within the framework of some messed up rules... they have to make a call on an action, what they can and can not do is tied to how the rules are written... are calls missed, sure... but is LeBron getting calls one way or the other because he's LeBron --- no, that is not how these guys work....

This coming after an email exchange I've had with him the last few days where he said "Dwight's issue is that he just has to play - if he stops complaining and venting his frustrations he'd get less fouls."

How Kyler can justify that Dwight does indeed get fouls called on him as nothing more than the result of complaining while Lebron, Wade, Kobe don't get fouls called on their behalf as a result of the name on the jersey is ludicrous. In both instances there is the lack of something that qualifies for a foul, only in one instance the whistle is blown as a punititive reminder that the refs are in control, and in the other instance the whistle comes as a result of status penalizing the defender for not having it. Either way, the whistle is blown for the wrong reason, and if you can say that it DOES occur in one circumstance, how can you then say it DOESN'T happen in another?

...and then of course there is the typical Kyler approach to discrediting others - I have met these guys and hangout with them, therefore I know things the average fan cannot, nanny, nanny, boo-boo.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:
I don't agree... I am friendly with a couple of officials, and I can tell you my experience is that these guys could careless about the so-called Superstar calls...

Friends or not, he's in the loop or out of it. The genius of the statement is that either way it would stay the same. Being friends with someone doesn't mean they confide in you. Especially if you're going to write it down.

quote:
This coming after an email exchange I've had with him the last few days where he said "Dwight's issue is that he just has to play - if he stops complaining and venting his frustrations he'd get less fouls."

Sadly, I actually believe this to be true. Which totally trumps any so-called rule. I mentioned this last year. I call it "whistle whipping". They want you to shut up and take it. Resistance is futile. Doesn't that jive with Stern's latest statements?

I have a sinking feeling this thread is going to be very active until the playoffs are over.

I mean, it's not hard to see that Dwight spends more time riding pine than any other superstar.

And, yes, he commits some real dumb fouls... but most are bull-crap ticky-tac womanly fouls.

If it wasn't for the Magic, I would NOT be an NBA fan.

I would just watch NCAA.

At least two of Dwight's fouls in this game was Chandler grabbing his arm, Dwight yanking it free, and the refs respond by hitting him with the whistle. That is just inexcusable...especially with 4 minutes left in the 4th. At the absolute worst, it should have been a no call.

The officiating was simply awful to an extent that I couldn't believe. Dwight was held on all his offensive fouls. If they would simply call the hold, he wouldn't have retaliated and why can't he retaliate if he's being held? *sigh*

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

At least two of Dwight's fouls in this game was Chandler grabbing his arm, Dwight yanking it free, and the refs respond by hitting him with the whistle. That is just inexcusable...especially with 4 minutes left in the 4th. At the absolute worst, it should have been a no call.

They need to address this. They're baiting him and the refs are falling for it. Tyrus showed us that they've been practicing flopping and if Dwight can't get these guys off his back, the refs need to.