Sign in to follow this  
SmackDaddy

Official referee venting thread.

quote:
Originally posted by bravlady:

It's like the old saying about baseball umpires. "I never question their calls, just their eye sight". Same can be said for basketball refs.

calling strikes and outs are very diffrent in vision than calling personal fouls we are talking about grabing ,hooking slaping ect.

Time to bump this thread seeing as how the refs raised the "horrible call" bar to a whole new level.

The reffing in this series would be the worse ever, except the reffing in last year's ECF was worse and more blatant.

Haven't chimed in in quite some time, but this is one topic that gets me worked up everytime.

Call it what you want, but conspiracy theory is in accurate in my opinion.

Tim Donaghy did fix games, he did, Fact. where is the "Theory" here it is a fact.

Here is another fact, the NBA, Stern, who ever has changed nothing since learning of this to stop or ensure it does not happen again, only issuing a statement "Trust us he was a rouge ref and no one else is doing this." IMO you have to be really dull to believe this.

But as for Magic fans the refs are a sore spot.

Every night the opposing teams game plan is to foul D12 as often as possible and Hard and most of the time no attempt is even made for the ball, just to hog tie and frustrate Dwight. So what we see as a foul on our side of the floor is a team intentionally fouling our best player, repeatedly. Our game plan is to win by playing top notch defense and we are not dirty players either. We see the other team foul us on purpose and we are trying not to foul on the other end every night. I think many times refs get tired of or don't want to blow the whistle for the same play every time down the floor and so they let the physical play against D12 happen. For the life of me I can't figure out why Dwight gets these tic tac fouls on the other end against him when guys hang all over him all game. Maybe it is to try and even out the foul calls for both teams, but teams should have alot more fouls called against them when their game plan is to foul a player everytime he gets the ball. We have a skewed view of refs because of this.

IMO the problem is alot in handeling of the opposing team's game plan of intentionally fouling a player. Intentionally fouling is supposed to be illegal. Every time a player is fouled and no attempt is made at the ball it should be a flagrant, possibly a F2. I would like to see these players that foul D12 on purpouse have all their bigs foul out in the first quarter.

All that being said anyone who thinks certain teams are not favored by the NBA should go to the NBA web site and try to find a clip of KG's intentional elbow. just try to find a clip, and then remember how the media, and NBA repeatedly slowed D12's elbow and made it lood out of context then repeatedly showed it with out ever showing the 30 seconds of **** before the elbow to push the player off of him.

its not a conspiracy theory, its just incompetence. I mean maybe the refs dont like stan or dwight or the magic. That could be possible. There's just no memo from the league saying "dont let the magic win".

An informed fan would see that there are horrible calls on both ends of the floor. While we usually get screwed (because we have the tall lumbering Goliath instead of the streamlined finesse guards who get all of the "bump" calls) its not like it doesn't happen to the other team as well. I saw us get several questionable calls thrown our way too. Just none that benefited Dwight.

Im more worried about the product that the NBA is putting on the court. No one wants to watch what we witnessed in game 2. A slow game with no flow is a loss for everybody.

You would think that the nba would tell the refs to lay off of dwight. When he's in the game and we're allowed to play the type of game we want, we might be one of the most entertaining TEAMs in the league. With big dunks and clutch shots that can happen several times a QUARTER you would think we would be pumped up more a la phoenix (of the joe johnson, marion, quenton richardson variety)

Its not just bad refereeing anymore either. Take Tyrus Thomas in game 2 for example. What was he doing? That sort of thing shouldnt be allowed to carry on. You can't just throw yourself on the floor then laugh when you get the call. I dont know if its the same for people in the US, but I watch football (or soccer to you) in the UK and theres play acting in that all the time. Its disgraceful. I've always said that basketball is played in a much better spirit than most sports, so I think they should stop this before it begins to happen more and more.

As for incompetent decisions, it seems they are becoming more and more obvious in practically every sport I watch, which is very disappointing.

quote:
Originally posted by KingBeaterD12:

Its not just bad refereeing anymore either. Take Tyrus Thomas in game 2 for example. What was he doing? That sort of thing shouldnt be allowed to carry on. You can't just throw yourself on the floor then laugh when you get the call. I dont know if its the same for people in the US, but I watch football (or soccer to you) in the UK and theres play acting in that all the time. Its disgraceful. I've always said that basketball is played in a much better spirit than most sports, so I think they should stop this before it begins to happen more and more.

As for incompetent decisions, it seems they are becoming more and more obvious in practically every sport I watch, which is very disappointing.

i think more cameras, high definition tv's, and super slow mo instant replays make the viewer more privy to poor officiating.

A simple way to fix this is to stop officiating the reaction of players. If someone flails his head back like he just got hit by an elbow DONT MAKE THE CALL unless you witness the elbow throwing.

I think the nba needs to start leaning towards not calling any of the extremely questionable calls rather than make a judgment call on the spot. Dwight's game isnt hurt by all the missed fouls by other players, dwight's game is hurt by refs getting fooled by the flopping.