Sign in to follow this  
BradzMagicFinz

Someone please help me understand this..

quote:
Originally posted by ma:

What makes me laugh is how Vince traveled while he was standing out of bounds, trying to inbound the ball. Is that even possible?

It is when you're on the Orlando Magic!

quote:
Originally posted by ma:

What makes me laugh is how Vince traveled while he was standing out of bounds, trying to inbound the ball. Is that even possible?

Of course it's possible...and that's exactly what he did. Both of his feet left the floor on an inbounds play that occurred after a dead ball. That's a walk.

As far as the alley oop play goes...I'm just trying to play devil's advocate here, so don't jump down my throat.

I just want to preface this by saying that I'm not totally clear on the rule for this play.

With that in mind, I do understand that it really can't be your typical "basket interference" because you can't score on an inbounds pass.

However, what would happen if someone threw a lob from the sideline that went in? Would it be a turnover? Because in that case, the guy going up to make the catch would be preventing a turnover by touching the ball in a spot where it is illegal to do so...so he would essentially be illegally turning an imminent turnover into a good basket.

I know this wasn't the case on this play because to me, the ball wasn't even over the cylinder when the catch was made.

I'm just trying to throw out a scenario that might explain why the basket would be taken away.

quote:

Of course it's possible...and that's exactly what he did. Both of his feet left the floor on an inbounds play that occurred after a dead ball. That's a walk.

Give me a break. I saw the replay, his toes BARELY moved. His feet did not move enough to change the merit of the play.

I've NEVER seen this play EVER called before.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

Part c of the actual wording of the goaltending rule is that the referees must conclude that the ball could have scored.

Given that it was an inbounds pass, where scoring is impossible, goaltending was a completely, wildly incorrect call.

quote:
It doesn't matter. THERE WAS NO SHOT ATTEMPT. There cannot be basket interference on a pass from out of bounds since Barnes can't shoot from there.

Just an awful call.

Both of these

Plus, Salvatore made the call at corner half court, which, to me would be the worst possible place to call basket interference even if that were what should be called. One of my least favorite refs, involves himself emotionally into the game far to much and holds grudges.

quote:
Originally posted by LeBrickJames:

Give me a break. I saw the replay, his toes BARELY moved. His feet did not move enough to change the merit of the play.

I've NEVER seen this play EVER called before.

Unfortunately it was the right call, you can't move your feet throwing the ball inbounds unless the ball has just been scored. I've seen that call made several times throughout my years of playing/watching basketball. Vince's was definitely the most minor I've seen since most people get caught running the baseline absentmindedly without a previous bucket, but by the letter of the law it was a travel.

quote:
Vince's was definitely the most minor I've seen since most people get caught running the baseline absentmindedly without a previous bucket, but by the letter of the law it was a travel.

But that's my point. If you read my post, I did say he moved, but it was so minor that it did not change the merit of the play.

It really was a nit picky call. Especially since the Magic were about to seal the deal.

quote:
Originally posted by LeBrickJames:

quote:
Vince's was definitely the most minor I've seen since most people get caught running the baseline absentmindedly without a previous bucket, but by the letter of the law it was a travel.

But that's my point. If you read my post, I did say he moved, but it was so minor that it did not change the merit of the play.

It really was a nit picky call. Especially since the Magic were about to seal the deal.

Totally agreed.

offensive goaltend is a load of rubbish and this rule should not exist.

they should go to international rules which is once the ball is on its downward flight it cannot be touched by the defense however once the ball is on the rim its live and can be played at by anyone.

Originally posted by MA

Thanks for commenting on this. It gave me a good laugh this morning.

All possible offensive goaltending situations should be added to the replay rules.

Every situation when they call it should be checked later to make sure.

Also every time when player catch the ball very close to cylinder, make basket and if there are even tiny doubt referees should look at the replay in timeout,

Same thing like 3p shots, it doesn't affect the game except pure assesment of this one play, was it right or not.