Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

What is Missing?

So should Jameer and Vince come out together at say the 8 or 9 minute mark of the first quarter.

That gets them a nice little rest with the break between quarters and the first 3 of the second.

I would not mind this at all as Jason and JJ both look for Dwight 90% of the time in the post so the offense would obviously not be stagnant and you really cannot sag off either one of them.

I was unable to watch yesterday's game yesterday so I do not know if SVG rolled out the hockey lines again.

DOM, good suggestions. I agree that Jameer should remain the starter. I've always hoped he'd play a Tony Parker role. As to yesterday, Jameer's defense was much stronger, as was his offensive aggressiveness. If we could have a potent duo form with Jameer and VC as closers, man we'd be nasty. Did anyone else notice, btw, that VC is much better with his aggressiveness and decision-making when he gets the ball a few feet inside the arc rather than trying to dribble from half court or outside the arc?

Wow, an actual basketball discussion! I always heard rumors, but figured they were a myth...

Here is my take on it: we don't know who controls the offense. Is it our volume scorer, Vince? He's a great option when he's attacking. Is it our pick and roll PG, Jameer? He has shown when he is in charge of setting things up, people get good shots. Or is it our beast in the middle, Dwight? In my mind, the O should always go through him, and then stem out from there.

I confess to not watching many Spurs games, so I am curious as to how they balance Parker, Ginobili, and Duncan. I would think those 3 could form a good template for how to handle our guys.

After reading through the thread, I would like to point out that Jameer struggled under Brian Hill when he was the starter. Why? Because Hill tried to make him into Jason Kidd or Steve Nash. Jameer is not capable of changing a game with just his passing (quite frankly, as I think about it, I am not sure how Kidd does it, either. I can see Nash, because his decision making on the fast break is uncanny, but how Kidd can control an offense in the half court without really looking to score. Why don't teams just slack off of him and cut off passing lanes? I digress.)

When he took over as the starter at the end of the 05-06 season, he played very well because nobody was telling him how to play. But then, the next season, his first as full time starter, Hill was whispering in his ear to set everyone else up. This mentality continued until 2 years ago, when he took over the Toronto playoffs series because most everyone else was struggling mightily. Suddenly, Stan realized what he had, and his stellar play continued into the next year.

But then we reached the Finals with Hedo running point forward, and we bring in Vince Carter, and Jameer feels he has to defer again. Quite simply, look at how Jameer plays when he is in charge of the offense and not just handing it off to someone else. He should not try to be Jason Williams, getting the offense going by passing the ball as soon as he crosses midcourt. Is the 1-2 P&R the way to sort this out? Maybe. Mix a little 1-5 in there, and I think we are cooking.

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

Wow, an actual basketball discussion! I always heard rumors, but figured they were a myth...

Here is my take on it: we don't know who controls the offense. Is it our volume scorer, Vince? He's a great option when he's attacking. Is it our pick and roll PG, Jameer? He has shown when he is in charge of setting things up, people get good shots. Or is it our beast in the middle, Dwight? In my mind, the O should always go through him, and then stem out from there.

I confess to not watching many Spurs games, so I am curious as to how they balance Parker, Ginobili, and Duncan. I would think those 3 could form a good template for how to handle our guys.

The few times I watch the Spurs, it seems Pops plays 1 of the big 3 with the bench at different times. Therefore, Timmy gets his touches, Parker gets his, and Ginobli gets his. When all three are in the game, all things run through Duncan. They're all very unselfish and truly sacrafice for the good of the team.

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

The few times I watch the Spurs, it seems Pops plays 1 of the big 3 with the bench at different times. Therefore, Timmy gets his touches, Parker gets his, and Ginobli gets his. When all three are in the game, all things run through Duncan. They're all very unselfish and truly sacrafice for the good of the team.

Dwight shouldn't be the center of the offense all the time when we are against the good teams. He has the highest FGP but his FTP brings it down. When he misses, we dont have anyone who can grab the offensive rebound , and I think the second chance pts are critical against the elite teams.

quote:
Originally posted by cpower:

Dwight shouldn't be the center of the offense all the time when we are against the good teams. He has the highest FGP but his FTP brings it down. When he misses, we dont have anyone who can grab the offensive rebound , and I think the second chance pts are critical against the elite teams.

2 things:

1) When the Spurs were winning titles year in, year out, they were consistently one of the worst offensive rebounding teams in the league.

2) If the Magic's offense consisted of nothing but Dwight Howard shooting 2 FTAs per possession, and Dwight shot his current average(61%), the Magic would have a team Ortg of 122, which is 13.4pts per100 possessions better than their current team Ortg, and 8.3pts per100 possessions better than the most efficient offense in the league.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

2 things:

1) When the Spurs were winning titles year in, year out, they were consistently one of the worst offensive rebounding teams in the league.

2) If the Magic's offense consisted of nothing but Dwight Howard shooting 2 FTAs per possession, and Dwight shot his current average(61%), the Magic would have a team Ortg of 122, which is 13.4pts per100 possessions better than their current team Ortg, and 8.3pts per100 possessions better than the most efficient offense in the league.

1) you cant compare Dwight to Timmy. Timmy finds cutter and slasher much better and the Spurs offense had more movement than us having Dwight starting the offense.

2) I doubt Dwight shoots 61% against the lakers, Nuggets, Boston and the cavs combined.

He had struggled against lakers, Celts and nuggests bigs at least.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

2 things:

1) you cant compare Dwight to Timmy. Timmy finds cutter and slasher much better and the Spurs offense had more movement than us having Dwight starting the offense.

2) I doubt Dwight shoots 61% against the lakers, Nuggets, Boston and the cavs combined.

He had struggled against lakers, Celts and nuggests bigs at least.

Howard's overall FG% against The Cavs/Lakers/Nuggets/Boston combined is 52.5%, and that's with that unusual night against Denver when he went 1-7. Take that away and he's at 56%.

And by looking at last year's numbers, he still averaged a bit over 50% from the field against those teams, so those are still good numbers.