How did you become a Magic fan?

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsTheYear:

quote:
Originally posted by nbr334:

quote:
pretty much once my balls dropped

That is funny lol

Would've been 92'- 93', everyone loved Chicago and that made me sick. Chose the next best team with the best colors and it just so happened that they picked up this kid called Shaq.

lol, same here. Everyone was considered a Bulls fan, and the Michael talk was making me sick. Plus, I live in Florida and just wanted to represent the boys in blue.

FU two.....nah just kidding. I was a Baseball fan before I saw a man called Michael Jordan play basketball. I was and am a Bulls fan, but was mostly a Jordan fan. I was always a East Conference fan. I started liking Orlando when Shaq arrived, but it wasn't until Penny was drafted that I became a real Magic fan.

I started collecting Penny cards, purchased his Nike's, little penny doll, etc etc. Ever since then I've been a fan.

quote:
FU two.....nah just kidding. I was a Baseball fan before I saw a man called Michael Jordan play basketball. I was and am a Bulls fan, but was mostly a Jordan fan. I was always a East Conference fan. I started liking Orlando when Shaq arrived, but it wasn't until Penny was drafted that I became a real Magic fan.

So did Jordan playing baseball make your head explode considering it brought together your love for baseball and Jordan?

I love baseball as well. It is by far the greatest game on earth. I love its history and everything else about it... except steroids. In fact, if it wernt for the Magic and Orlando, I wouldnt care for the NBA at all.

Nah, it was just sad. Part of me was saying, please be as good a baseball player as a basketball player. The other part was saying, WTF are you thinking, got back to the court you don't belong here.

We will never know, but Chicago could have won what 8 or 9 titles in a row if he had not retired.....3 times....You just cannot put down what the man did for the sport....Love him or Hate him, he was/is the best.

I was a Bulls fan because of Jordan and Pippen. I always loved Pippen's game even when he went to the Blazers.

After the end of the Bulls era, I have rooted for the Rockets (after the Bulls were eliminated by the Knicks in '94 and vs the Magic in '95, I loved Olajuwon), the Spurs and the Blazers (Sheed/Pippen era). I have been and anti-Laker/Kobe too lol.

When Carlos Arroyo became an NBA player I just started following his teams. Overall I have been a consistent Spurs fan, if that can be called being a fan. Last year I became and Orlando fan because Arroyo moved there and was instantly appreciated by the fans, the coach and the team. I don't like being just a homer so I care for the whole team.

With all these said, I'm puertorican and have never lived in the US. I'm not able to watch most of the games 'cause I don't have cable tv and the NBA games are not in PR TV anymore. What I mean is that I can't love Orlando the city because I haven't been there, no Disney or anything. I have a lot of respect for this team, it's future, it's GM and I'm excited about what this team can achieve.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

quote:
Originally posted by nbr334:

What is Orlando like?

Well, it's really quite simple. It's kinda like- Gonna find my baby, gonna hold her tight / Gonna grab some afternoon delight / My motto's always been, "When it's right, it's right" / Why wait until the middle of a cold dark night? When everything's a little clearer in the light of day / And we know the night is always gonna be there anyway. Thinkin' of you's workin' up my appetite / Looking forward to a little afternoon delight / Rubbin' sticks and stones together makes the sparks ignite / And the thought of lovin' you is getting so exciting. Sky rockets in flight / Afternoon delight!

You guys have it, I think.

Brilliant Marc!!

I became a Magic fan when the Magic became the Magic. I was born and raised in Central Fla so it was just science really (to follow the Magic that is!)

When I found out that all 82 games were televised in Jacksonville! Before then my fav. team was Philadelphia(born and raised there) but now my loyalty's to Orlando.

I never really liked The Bulls, I really cant stand them now..lol..I was a Micheal Jordan fan because his drive amazed me..I Loved the Magic since 1994 when I first came to Orlando..this is the only place I could ever really call home..I left because my Father was in the Army but I came back and attending College in the 407..I Love the team we have now and our future shines bright..I don't like the one's who jump on the band wagon when were winning and calls The Magic the Tragic when they fall into a slump..It's about being a REAL fan through smiles and heart breaks..Dwight Howard is the future..I'm proud of our guys..

I am simply following JJ. He comes from Va very near from where I live. Followed Duke and the ACC for many years. Few Magic games are shown here and until JJ gets decent playing time buying the NBA shows will have to wait. Look forward to being a Magic fan and watching some of the games live. Hopefully they will be as exciting as the Duke games. Am sure my thoughts are swayed but if we have a better 3 pt threat would love to see BHill use him. Looking forward to watching the guys soon playing all season. Good luck Magic

I have been a Magic fan since I had a cool middle school teacher come in everyday and talk about how good / bad the team did..... that was Lockhart Middle School back in 1992 (holy .... I feel old) So begain watching them on TV. Then I had a chance to go to the game, which I was late and showed up during the 1st qtr against the Milwakee Bucks... in the shaq-penny-3-d-Nick days. Ofcourse my luck Shaq was out because he cut his foot, but #-d made up for it by scoring the most 3's in a game or qtr... cant remember which one, but they came out with a win. And i have been a die hard fan since then.... Oh by the way I hate the Lakers for the whole Shaq thing.

quote:
When I found out that all 82 games were televised in Jacksonville! Before then my fav. team was Philadelphia(born and raised there) but now my loyalty's to Orlando.

Really? I lived in St. Augustine during college and we only got the games that were on Sunshine. What were the other games on?

I grew up a Celtics fan in the mid-80s. I'm not positive, but I think that most people who lived nowhere near an NBA team pretty much chose between the Lakers or the Celtics back then, depending on whether you lived near the East or West Coasts.

In 1986, when we first had an inkling that there was a chance to get a team, my dad talked about the possibility. I remembering him thinking that there wasn't much chance of it happening. But a year later, when it did happen, I remember being very excited and hating that we had to wait two more years. I was playing high school basketball then, so it made it even harder.

Along with a bunch of my teammates, we watched the very first regular season game against the New Jersey Nets. We lost, and I remember what a letdown that was at the time.

Anyway, I've been a glutton for Magic punishment ever since.