Sign in to follow this  
Ned Ryerson

How did you become a Magic fan?

When Grant Hill came over from the Pistons, I was a small-time fan. Then when Darko and Arroyo came over sealed it for me.

I am still a Pistons fan but haven't been playing too much attention to them this season. Part of the reason is due to what the coaches did to Darko and Arroyo.

Hi guys! I'm from The Netherlands, Europe.

4 years ago I was on a Florida vacation. With my brother we visited a Magic game (against the Utah Jazz, with Karl Malone and Stockton)

It was a dream come true, because basketball isn't very popular in Europe, we rather play soccer. Anyway, we got the chance to watch a NBA game in real life and we loved the atmosphere around the match! Since then we support the Magic and hopefully one day we return to see another match ;-)

That's how we became "fans"....however, last year my brother visited Florida again and was able to buy tickets for the play-offs: Miami - Detroit....hope you guys don't mind hehe ;-)

Greetings from Holland and good luck this season! Hopefully the Magic will reach the play-offs!!

quote:
Originally posted by Flying Dutchman:

4 years ago I was on a Florida vacation. With my brother we visited a Magic game (against the Utah Jazz, with Karl Malone and Stockton)

It was a dream come true, because basketball isn't very popular in Europe, we rather play soccer. Anyway, we got the chance to watch a NBA game in real life and we loved the atmosphere around the match! Since then we support the Magic and hopefully one day we return to see another match ;-)

That's how we became "fans"....however, last year my brother visited Florida again and was able to buy tickets for the play-offs: Miami - Detroit....hope you guys don't mind hehe ;-)

Greetings from Holland and good luck this season! Hopefully the Magic will reach the play-offs!!

Very cool! I'm always surprised by the amount of people overseas that are fans of the team.

quote:
Originally posted by Flying Dutchman:

It was a dream come true, because basketball isn't very popular in Europe, we rather play soccer. Anyway, we got the chance to watch a NBA game in real life and we loved the atmosphere around the match!

I dream the day!

In the past my family would always say that Magic sucked and thats what I believed. Those days I wasn't a REAL NBA fan and shuned it completely except when the playoffs were on and my family watched it together.

One day I was just chilling and watching T.V and looking for something to watch and then I found a Magic game in which the Magic were down 20 against the Boston Celtics and the game looked hopeless...but with heart and hustle of Armstrong and the talent of what I first saw of Tracy McGrady, the Magic came to win this game!!!

This was the 02-03 season which was the last time the Magic went to the playoffs. The next season was a total bust but I still stayed a Magic fan uring the 19 game winning streak no matter how much my dad said they sucked!!!

We are on to the playoffs this year no matter what!!!

Go Magic!!!

MMMmmmm.......Google Toolbars........MMmmmm

Well at school in Jersey (UK) I had a mate from the US who was a big bulls fan. My mum and dad took me to Disney land for a holiday and I bought a few t shirts. Only when I got back to Jersey my mate told me about who Shaq was as it was his rookie season. Once they drafted Penny and I got to see a game on tv been a fan since. Went to one pre season game the year we got to the finals and saw a shaq 3 from just inside the half court

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

Very cool! I'm always surprised by the amount of people overseas that are fans of the team.

however.....2 years after my Florida trip we went for 10 days to California and I saw the Lakers beat the 76'ers at the Staples Center! Although it was a thrill to see guys like Bryant, Shaq and Iverson play, I preferre the more relaxed atmosphere around the TD Waterhouse. Liked the people more in Orlando as in LA. In Orlando we could visit the courtside before the match and get some autographs (drew gooden!)

But I was wandering, how many matches a year do you visit as a Magic fan living in or near Orlando?! Because they play so many matches it would be impossible to visit them all?? Which matches do you choose to visit and why? In Holland I support a soccer-team but they only play 17 home-matches in a season! Therefore I can afford a season-pass so I can visit every match of my favorite club, but does it work like this the same in the NBA??? I'm curious about this....

quote:
however.....2 years after my Florida trip we went for 10 days to California and I saw the Lakers beat the 76'ers at the Staples Center! Although it was a thrill to see guys like Bryant, Shaq and Iverson play, I preferre the more relaxed atmosphere around the TD Waterhouse. Liked the people more in Orlando as in LA. In Orlando we could visit the courtside before the match and get some autographs (drew gooden!)

But I was wandering, how many matches a year do you visit as a Magic fan living in or near Orlando?! Because they play so many matches it would be impossible to visit them all?? Which matches do you choose to visit and why? In Holland I support a soccer-team but they only play 17 home-matches in a season! Therefore I can afford a season-pass so I can visit every match of my favorite club, but does it work like this the same in the NBA??? I'm curious about this....

Well, a few people on this board have season tickets... so they get to go to 41 games and have priority to buy playoff tickets (thats it the Magic make the playoffs). As for myself, I try to get to as many as possible. Unforunently, I have only been to one game this year... considering they are pretty expensive for a college student.

As for you comments about the relaxed atmosphere in Orlando, you are right. The Magic are a small market team and do not have all the hype around each game like the Lakers might have. However, things were different when Shaq and Penny were around. Perhaps we can get back there soon.

Side Note:

Ive noticed a lot of people who have responded to this thread are not Magic fans because of the City of Orlando. There is nothing wrong with loving a team because of a certain player, but where is the love for Orlando?

Orlando isnt the largest city, and on the international stage we are only known for Disney. I pray, even though I am not at all a religious man, that the Magic and the citys current urban renewal can bring something other then tourism to my city. Any thoughts?

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

Orlando isnt the largest city, and on the international stage we are only known for Disney. I pray, even though I am not at all a religious man, that the Magic and the citys current urban renewal can bring something other then tourism to my city. Any thoughts?

I moved to LA for a year and wanted to move back because I missed the "little big-town." I also missed people that were a little more real. I think the city is growing, so it's kinda nice to be here before the big growth takes place.

quote:
Originally posted by nbr334:

What is Orlando like?

Well, it's really quite simple. It's kinda like- Gonna find my baby, gonna hold her tight / Gonna grab some afternoon delight / My motto's always been, "When it's right, it's right" / Why wait until the middle of a cold dark night? When everything's a little clearer in the light of day / And we know the night is always gonna be there anyway. Thinkin' of you's workin' up my appetite / Looking forward to a little afternoon delight / Rubbin' sticks and stones together makes the sparks ignite / And the thought of lovin' you is getting so exciting. Sky rockets in flight / Afternoon delight!

You guys have it, I think.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

quote:
Originally posted by nbr334:

What is Orlando like?

Well, it's really quite simple. It's kinda like- Gonna find my baby, gonna hold her tight / Gonna grab some afternoon delight / My motto's always been, "When it's right, it's right" / Why wait until the middle of a cold dark night? When everything's a little clearer in the light of day / And we know the night is always gonna be there anyway. Thinkin' of you's workin' up my appetite / Looking forward to a little afternoon delight / Rubbin' sticks and stones together makes the sparks ignite / And the thought of lovin' you is getting so exciting. Sky rockets in flight / Afternoon delight!

You guys have it, I think.

LOL!! Always good to get more Anchorman jokes in to finish the year!!

I think the Little-Big town feel is the best description of Orlando.