Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

Poll: If Warlock Was In This Year's Draft ...

Bogut is one of my favorite players.

No, I've never seen him play. But I did watch the YouTube video of him high-fiving his non-existent teammates, and that's good enough for me.

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

En Fuego, interesting stuff. Here's the thing: no one has any idea how Gortat could be as a starter. Given the opportunity, I could see him averaging at least 10 pts, 10 bds, and 2 bks. Plus, centers are really hard to come by. In this year's draft, I think he'd be top 5.

Top 5? Haha c'mon first of all he isn't that good and has a very limited offensive upside. The guy plays 10 minutes a game in the NBA and he would be a top 5 pick? Think about what you are saying, if anyone in the NBA actually agreed with you(they don't) Otis would be fielding great offers that he would have to pull the plug on(he isn't). The guy might someday be good enough t start on a mediocre team but is most likely always going to be a role player off the bench, you don't draft those guys in the top 5(not on purpose anyway). He would probably move up into the late 1st round which is still a great compliment to him. Not to mention Center is turning into the least important position in the league, this isn't 10 years ago the league is different. A guy who can rebound and defend but will always be offensively challenged should not go in the top 10.

quote:
Originally posted by VaBchMagicFan:

quote:

En Fuego, interesting stuff. Here's the thing: no one has any idea how Gortat could be as a starter. Given the opportunity, I could see him averaging at least 10 pts, 10 bds, and 2 bks. Plus, centers are really hard to come by. In this year's draft, I think he'd be top 5.

Top 5? Haha c'mon first of all he isn't that good and has a very limited offensive upside. The guy plays 10 minutes a game in the NBA and he would be a top 5 pick? Think about what you are saying, if anyone in the NBA actually agreed with you(they don't) Otis would be fielding great offers that he would have to pull the plug on(he isn't). The guy might someday be good enough t start on a mediocre team but is most likely always going to be a role player off the bench, you don't draft those guys in the top 5(not on purpose anyway). He would probably move up into the late 1st round which is still a great compliment to him. Not to mention Center is turning into the least important position in the league, this isn't 10 years ago the league is different. A guy who can rebound and defend but will always be offensively challenged should not go in the top 10.

I agree with some of that, but the Bulls did draft Joakim #9 overall knowing he was nothing more than a hustle guy.

quote:
Originally posted by VaBchMagicFan:

quote:

Why was Dallas wanting him as their starting center? Defensive bigs get drafted high all the time. Not saying it's a good thing, but I immediately think of S. Williams and H. Thabeet. No biggie. We can disagree.

Trey Time, you anger VaBeachMagicFan when you agree with him. He isn't on here to agree with anyone. Soul Bro has the right idea.

As for the question, I'd rather not do a comparison to the 2005 draft because then we must compare him to centers who have received much more playing time. Using what we know, there is no way a team will take Gortat over Bogut or Bynum. But in judging him against the current crop of college big men, he rates much better. Fundamentally, he has progressed much further than the college level. His problem is consistency, which is difficult with low and intermittent minutes.

So, I see him being the first big man taken, where ever that might fall. I also think that the Magic would be ecstatic to sign Gortat to a lottery contract, because then they might actually be able to afford to keep him beyond this season!