Sign in to follow this  
PRAY_4_WAR

WHY VAN GUNDY? WHY?

quote:
Originally posted by ElMayi:

quote:
Originally posted by PRAY_4_WAR:

Let me start by saying that I'm not a Magic fan, I'm a Cavs fan. But, for all you Orlando fans I would be absolutly furious about Van Gundy's coaching. Dwight Howard is the best center I have ever seen in my life, he is an absolute MONSTER! Yet Van Gundy whould rather have someone fire a 20 footer than give the ball to Howard. That's why Orlando will NEVER win a championship as long as Van Gundy is coach. Orlando could have an easy gameplan to win a championship: give it to Howard in the post, every trip down floor. Unless Howard is triple teamed, it's an automatic two (or three if fouled). I mean Howard is a freak of nature, he is Shaq and Wilt wrapped up in one. How can you not give him the ball nine out of every ten times down court? It completly behooves me! Watch what happens when Orlando gets a real "old school" coach in there, they'll win title after title. Howard, with the proper coaching could be the best player to ever step on the court, besides Jordan of coarse. Unreal, how Van Gundy doesn't see that.

excellent post, even fans from other teams see it. Certainly embarrassing that this dumb *** is coaching this team

Van Dumby makes this team a joke. I've never seen a biggest mismanagement of a talented team in my many years as an NBA fan.

Our owners are clueless. They seem to love hiring coaches who have already being fired because they can't coach worth a crap. They already re-hired Brian Hill (who honestly never had as much player talent as our current coach has been given on a silver platter). I hope when they give SVG the boot we can find someone who's not another inept.

As the poster after you mentioned it was SVG who got this team to the finals. You seem to want anything that would destroy this team much like a certain Cavs fan who must really hate SVG who got this team to beat his Cavs.

You sound more and more like a fan for another team instead of a Magic fan.

Better to just realize Stan is the Man who got this team to the finals LAST YEAR!!

quote:
Originally posted by PRAY_4_WAR:

Let me start by saying that I'm not a Magic fan, I'm a Cavs fan. But, for all you Orlando fans I would be absolutly furious about Van Gundy's coaching. Dwight Howard is the best center I have ever seen in my life, he is an absolute MONSTER! Yet Van Gundy whould rather have someone fire a 20 footer than give the ball to Howard. That's why Orlando will NEVER win a championship as long as Van Gundy is coach. Orlando could have an easy gameplan to win a championship: give it to Howard in the post, every trip down floor. Unless Howard is triple teamed, it's an automatic two (or three if fouled). I mean Howard is a freak of nature, he is Shaq and Wilt wrapped up in one. How can you not give him the ball nine out of every ten times down court? It completly behooves me! Watch what happens when Orlando gets a real "old school" coach in there, they'll win title after title. Howard, with the proper coaching could be the best player to ever step on the court, besides Jordan of coarse. Unreal, how Van Gundy doesn't see that.

The problem with your plan and the reason why Dwight gets so few Field Goal attempts in a game is that when he gets the ball

he brings the ball down, fumbles and turns it over

he gets double teamed and passes out again

he gets fouled and cant make a free throw to save his life

he uses 100 % strenght, 0% finess, puts his head down and tries to just run through his opponent and draws an offensive foul

if he gets too involved he gets himself in foul trouble and either has to spend alot of time on the bench or fouls himself out of the game

These are the main issues with Dwight, its easy to look at the box score and say, well they should have given him the ball more, but you need to watch the games to see the problems that happens when he gets the ball, he turns it over, gets fouled and cant make a free throw, or he makes an offensive foul. He has no offensive play other then Dunking.

Lately we have seen him try to develop a jump shot and a hook shots, these are good signs, he has to improve in that area and he can become the greatest Center in the league, but his offensive repertoire just isnt there YET.

Barnes did something last night my eyes couldn't believe. He drove into the defense, and then LOBBED the ball to Dwight, where he got an easy dunk. Who knew that we could increase his attempts at the basket by attracting a defender and scooping the ball to him once you've gathered the attention? Truly groundbreaking.

Dwight is a great FINISHER! lmao

All kidding aside, I was shocked that Dwight only got 1 FG attempt in the 2nd Half. He wasn't as aggressive on the offensive end and he went away from the bank shot. He was 2-2 from off the glass in the 1st half! Why not shoot it some more?

On top of that, VC is an absolute joke. Yeah I said it, normally I'm not one to get on a guy but last night it was clear to me. The only thing I liked about his game last night was his drive then pass to the open man. We had that 9 pt lead then Carter decides he's going to shoot from far behind the 3pt line and misses. I bet even his teammates were pissed about that shot and were biting their tongues. There was a timeout after that Carter miss, and then we lost the lead. Just sucked the air right out of our team probably. They worked hard to get that lead and Carter shoots a hailmary LOL

Oh did anyone else notice when Carter struggles he tries to make it look like he's hurt? When he was sitting on the bench next to Lewis after "aggrevating" his shoulder again, I could tell Rashard was disgusted by the old man.

Here's vince...

OH GAWD THE PAIN!! (looks to see if anyone is watching) OH MANNNNN IT'S HURRRTS SOOO BAAAD I CAN'T SHOOT ANYMORE!

Piss off Carter.

Howard was getting double teamed immediately every time he caught the ball in the 2nd half. That led to a lot of open shots for teammates. They were feeding it to Howard for a while there, and it was working.

Then when the Lakers went on their game-winning run, it was because the Magic shot too many transition 3s, and didn't make them. Plus the Magic had wayyy too many careless turnovers, and of course LA started making everything. I like a few transition 3s, but that was too much. Keep feeding it to Dwight, keep getting shots off the double team. They'll either keep doubling him and we'll keep getting easy shots, or they'll try to single cover him and he can go to work. Pretty simple really. That should be the whole game plan. Our offense has to go through Dwight. Last year it could go through Hedo, but he's gone. Vince doesn't have that same ability. Vince will just try to score himself. Team offense is what got us to the Finals last year.

quote:
Originally posted by skinnyhoops:

Dwight is a great FINISHER! lmao

All kidding aside, I was shocked that Dwight only got 1 FG attempt in the 2nd Half. He wasn't as aggressive on the offensive end and he went away from the bank shot. He was 2-2 from off the glass in the 1st half! Why not shoot it some more?

On top of that, VC is an absolute joke. Yeah I said it, normally I'm not one to get on a guy but last night it was clear to me. The only thing I liked about his game last night was his drive then pass to the open man. We had that 9 pt lead then Carter decides he's going to shoot from far behind the 3pt line and misses. I bet even his teammates were pissed about that shot and were biting their tongues. There was a timeout after that Carter miss, and then we lost the lead. Just sucked the air right out of our team probably. They worked hard to get that lead and Carter shoots a hailmary LOL

Oh did anyone else notice when Carter struggles he tries to make it look like he's hurt? When he was sitting on the bench next to Lewis after "aggrevating" his shoulder again, I could tell Rashard was disgusted by the old man.

Here's vince...

OH GAWD THE PAIN!! (looks to see if anyone is watching) OH MANNNNN IT'S HURRRTS SOOO BAAAD I CAN'T SHOOT ANYMORE!

Piss off Carter.

getting into poor shot selection really kills the mentality of this team. I agree with that. If your going to point that out then point out that RA ALSO took two very poorly selected shots in that same sequence.

And lets be honest. As bad a VC has been with his decision making, there use to be nights like that with Turk that I would want to throw the TV. My roommates as witness. Fortunately for Turk he had been building chemistry for 4 years with our guys AND stayed relatively healthy. VC did look rejected last night. The guys on the team are starting to blame him... I think we aren't going to get anywhere if we blame him.

The ENTIRE team broke down mentally when our offense sputtered due to poor shot selection. SVG needed to stop the team and tell them to take it 'one play at a time', the championship 'grind' mentality. Although NONE of us know whether or not he did say that... I know **** well I've heard sound bites of him saying that in a timeout before. probably more than once.

The other thing killing this team is bad individual defense as the guys on TV pointed out. Guys have to start taking better accountability of this. I highly doubt SVG hasn't been coaching this seeing as we were the #1 defense in the playoffs last year.

quote:
Originally posted by ElMayi:

All Dwight needs is a clean up guy he can hand it to while he's double teamed. Bass would fill that role perfectly, but coach thinks it's better to go for the 3s, even though we could be shooting a much higher % getting points in the paint, and getting the opposing front courts to foul out.

Few (if any) teams would be able to handle a Howard-Bass front line.

oohhhhhhhh thats what it is... your still in love with the IDEA of Bass playing with Howard. I wont blame you, I loved the idea and was stoked when he was coming here. But now I wont blame SVG for not playing him.

Bass is very lost more than half the time he's out on the court.

Bass is a liability when we need him to make a decent pass. His individual defense is a roller coaster ride. Until he looks sharper on the court I don't think he should play much. SVG has given him plenty of opportunities to prove his worth.

Let me assure you, there are plenty of teams that handled that front line. haha

Is ridiculous for a team that has Howard, Bass, and Gortat, and not have a game plan to have opposing front lines foul out because the coach rather shoot 3s.

PEC and FLoridina, I might be a noob on the boards but obviously have been watching the game for much longer than you have, besides playing street ball enough to know transition basketball gets you more points than Dumby's moronic lineups with no size because he has a hard-on from 3s.

And quit with the silly excuse that "SVG took us to the finals". That's hilarious. Only reason we got to the finals is because we were the most talented team in the east. Deepest team in the entire league.

If SVG was anything resembling a good coach he would know Bynum could easily foul out by going to a one-two punch of Dwight and a Power Forward (be it Bass, Gortat or heck even Foyle!). Pounding it inside until LA is forced to to sit their big man.

Of course that would mean our PF could not be camping out on the 3 line for that to work.. After you get LA's frontline in foul trouble, all you have to worry about is Kobe. The Lakers don't have that much talent folks, they're just coached perfectly. Kobe can play like crap, and they can still beat anyone! because of their inside game.

Not just to get opponents in foul trouble, but you get a much higher % from the paint than from shooting 3s. Sure, the Magic can shoot 40% in 3s 1 out of 4 games but they could be getting 60-70% consistently from the paint.

Phil Jackson doesn't panic, he's confident his coaching works, he's calm. Yesterday when we were up, we were running more, taking fewer 3s and only in good rhythm. LA was playing slow and taking bad long jumpers (like we do).