Sign in to follow this  
Dan Savage

Amway Center Update

quote:
Originally posted by i HATE Rich DeVos:

i know that the city as the operators of AC would love to host anything and everything they can much like jerry jones with his new building.

i dont think that the people of orlando could support an NHL team and the magic at the same time, but i like cunningstunt think snow birds could help out. there is a possibility that our tourism could help more than than tampa's tourism in supporting a team, a lot of euros and northerners are hockey fans and frequent orlando

also could an NHL team (lightning) save orlando if there is an NBA lock out in 2011? an empty brand new arena would be horrible

any tourism money going out of i drive is being carefully controlled by orlando's own personal mr. burns, ROSEN, he would do a song and dance routine if we even hinted at touching tourism money.

quote:
Originally posted by cunningstunt:

quote:

i know that the city as the operators of AC would love to host anything and everything they can much like jerry jones with his new building.

i dont think that the people of orlando could support an NHL team and the magic at the same time, but i like cunningstunt think snow birds could help out. there is a possibility that our tourism could help more than than tampa's tourism in supporting a team, a lot of euros and northerners are hockey fans and frequent orlando

also could an NHL team (lightning) save orlando if there is an NBA lock out in 2011? an empty brand new arena would be horrible

any tourism money going out of i drive is being carefully controlled by orlando's own personal mr. burns, ROSEN, he would do a song and dance routine if we even hinted at touching tourism money.

i wasnt suggesting that tourist dollars should be used to lure a team. i just meant that the orlando area offers a lot more than tampa in terms of attracting tourists. i would think that more people are attracted to orlando for disney univeral seaworld than to tampa for busch gardens and the aquarium, this would allow more euros and snowbirds to book their trips to orlando to accommodate when their team is in town. its hard for fans in places like toronto detroit montreal hockey is a real tough ticket

quote:

quote:

quote:

i wasnt suggesting that tourist dollars should be used to lure a team. i just meant that the orlando area offers a lot more than tampa in terms of attracting tourists. i would think that more people are attracted to orlando for disney univeral seaworld than to tampa for busch gardens and the aquarium, this would allow more euros and snowbirds to book their trips to orlando to accommodate when their team is in town. its hard for fans in places like toronto detroit montreal hockey is a real tough ticket

oh i know what your saying, it wouldn't be the only thing, but i'm just saying, devos has a real stick up his *** when it comes to the magic and will try his hardest to keep any form of our marketing away from that area. i like the idea of having another team here if we can rightfully support it.

we might as well try to start a bullet train from orlando to cocoa beach too (c ;

The Tampa/St. Pete area offers a lot of desirable things outside of theme parks and we get our fair share of snow birds to come to see the Flyers, Red Wings, Yankees, and Red Sox.

The Lightning play in a pretty state of the art facility themselves and it is in a great area.

If any team from here ever moves it would be the Rays. They are practically begging to get out of Saint Pete and the only reason they have not pushed harder is the economy. But I think the overall goal is just to move into Tampa where it is more centrally located to everyone.

i'm wondering how long it would take to get to tampa/orlando after that fast train or whatever it is is put into the mix. you never know, it could open things up for both cities when it comes to a fanbase, if i took an hour or so to get to tampa i'd go see a rays game.

quote:

i'm wondering how long it would take to get to tampa/orlando after that fast train or whatever it is is put into the mix. you never know, it could open things up for both cities when it comes to a fanbase, if i took an hour or so to get to tampa i'd go see a rays game.

I thought it was already built?

and something along the lines of 45 minutes?

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:

orlando incapable of hosting two professional sports teams?

Ding ding ding! No way that Orlando could support both an NBA team and an NHL team (especially an NHL team!).

Now if we are talking NFL, it is a slightly different story. But, even that is not a slam dunk. Jacksonville can't even support just an NFL team and Tampa, which is bigger than Orlando, is back to struggling with the Bucs/Lightning/Rays.

The Bucs are struggling because the team is terrible and has the lowest payroll in the NFL. People are accusing the Glazers of being cheap and dropping tickets left and right.

I don't get why the Rays struggle so badly though. They have a pretty good team...I know the Trop is a dump, but you think people would go and watch them play.

Yeah, the Rays biggest struggle is the location of the Tropicana Dome. If you live in St. Pete, great, you're right there. Of course, mostly old people live in St. Pete, and thus few are hardcore baseball fans. If you live in Tampa, good luck getting across a bottleneck bridge at rush hour and through the tiny streets of St. Pete to make it to a 7:00 first pitch.

That whole situation makes me appreciate the Amway Center all the more. Great location, great building, great situation.

quote:

when i was looking @ the new update for march and when alex martins is talking about the new hockey floor installation i noticed @ 1:56 alex says "we're literally ready for an NHL team to relocate here if they want to" http://amwaycenter.com/

if there is any team that could possibly relocate to orlando it would be the lightning (i cant see the panthers moving to orlando and having both florida teams 90 miles apart) is ownership or the city actively pursuing a team to relocate to the AC? and are the lightning looking to move? would an NHL team ease the burden on the city trying to recoup some of the cost of the building or is orlando incapable of hosting two professional sports teams?

I would love for a hockey team to be (back) in Orlando. Move the Lightning here and change the name to the Solar Bears!

I would like to see the Rays move to Orlando. You could either move them to disney and make them some sort of tourism attraction(fits in perfectly with the season), or you could give tinker field a facelift and play them there, but make it like an old school baseball experience instead of these giant new age stadiums they have now. Either way, it could work.