Sign in to follow this  
Dan Savage

Amway Center Update

when i was looking @ the new update for march and when alex martins is talking about the new hockey floor installation i noticed @ 1:56 alex says "we're literally ready for an NHL team to relocate here if they want to" http://amwaycenter.com/

if there is any team that could possibly relocate to orlando it would be the lightning (i cant see the panthers moving to orlando and having both florida teams 90 miles apart) is ownership or the city actively pursuing a team to relocate to the AC? and are the lightning looking to move? would an NHL team ease the burden on the city trying to recoup some of the cost of the building or is orlando incapable of hosting two professional sports teams?

quote:
Originally posted by i HATE Rich DeVos:

orlando incapable of hosting two professional sports teams?

Ding ding ding! No way that Orlando could support both an NBA team and an NHL team (especially an NHL team!).

Now if we are talking NFL, it is a slightly different story. But, even that is not a slam dunk. Jacksonville can't even support just an NFL team and Tampa, which is bigger than Orlando, is back to struggling with the Bucs/Lightning/Rays.

i know that the city as the operators of AC would love to host anything and everything they can much like jerry jones with his new building.

i dont think that the people of orlando could support an NHL team and the magic at the same time, but i like cunningstunt think snow birds could help out. there is a possibility that our tourism could help more than than tampa's tourism in supporting a team, a lot of euros and northerners are hockey fans and frequent orlando

also could an NHL team (lightning) save orlando if there is an NBA lock out in 2011? an empty brand new arena would be horrible

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:
Originally posted by i HATE Rich DeVos:

orlando incapable of hosting two professional sports teams?

Ding ding ding! No way that Orlando could support both an NBA team and an NHL team (especially an NHL team!).

Now if we are talking NFL, it is a slightly different story. But, even that is not a slam dunk. Jacksonville can't even support just an NFL team and Tampa, which is bigger than Orlando, is back to struggling with the Bucs/Lightning/Rays.

Actually i think wouldnt it be better for the lightning to relocate to orlando they lose money there and theere the sole draw. here the would still lose money but at least move into a state of the art arena and have a fan base. I think they would lose less money reloscating and if moving saves 30 million a year, then i think thats a good investment for them

dont forget we're almost a lock to be a march madness site, more high profile concerts, probably the high school basketball state championship game, etc...

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

dont forget we're almost a lock to be a march madness site, more high profile concerts, probably the high school basketball state championship game, etc...

it wouldnt be as big as the money an nhl team could bring the city