Sign in to follow this  
ma

Dwight: Watch and Learn from the Man

Yes it is Hakeem at 46. He is working out with Josh Smith.

Can we fly him to Orlando for a quick lesson maybe?

Yes it is Hakeem at 46. He is working out with Josh Smith.

Can we fly him to Orlando for a quick lesson maybe?

Dwight would have to really work on his quickness or as they call it in the weight room, explosion, to do these moves more effectively. I think quickness is something you can improve on if you practice moving your body with weights at the base similar to Shawn Marion.

If Dwight learned these moves, I would see multiple championships for this Magic team.

If D12 knew even a few of these moves he would be going to the line even more. It's amazing how he puts up nasty numbers and does not even have a avg post game or foot work. I would be treating the dream like a dream and send a private jet to pick him up lol. The dream has has always been my favorite center just amazing how he uses his mind, you just don't see players like that anymore.

Hakeem is still nasty in the post at 46.

He's going to be nasty until he can no longer be on the court. The dude is in amazing shape.

Hakeem worked with Kobe extensively in the off season as well...Dwight would need more than a day or two of the Dream's coaching to really learn anything...I would sure like to see us pickup a different coach for Dwight though, regardless it won't be Hakeem...

quote:
Originally posted by TNosh87:

instead we have Ewing....too bad Hakeem dominated Ewing throughout his career, along with Shaq and David Robinson

Who's Clifford Ray in the scheme of NBA great Centers? Regardless, he's groomed some very productive C's. In other words it's not who's teaching, but what they're teaching that reaches these young guys. I think some of these guys only qualifications are their legacies.

Like someone said in another thread: nobody is going to motivate Dwight Howard besides himself.

Howard is just not mentally mature enough yet. Right now Dwight is more focused on being a celebrity than a great NBA player. Hopefully he grows tired of Paris Hilton type fame soon and begins to walk the walk he's talked about since he entered the league.

Case and point, the video he released over the summer of himself working at his offensive game. It's pretty clear now that was about the appearance of him working to improve. But we now know it was just personal media fluff. His offensive game and free throw shooting have unfortunately regressed.

After that video Van Gundy tiptoed around calling it out and has subtly hinted at Dwight's focus. But in the end, Van Gundy always ends up placing the blame on himself. If he likes his job, what else is he supposed to do.

Anyone who watches the Magic regularly has seen that the Magic's game plan and coaching strategy are always to get him touches. But he fumbles so often that you can see the other players frustration and hesitation to give him the ball unless the entry path is perfect. When they do get him the ball, his slow mechanical dribble and robotic movements are easy pickings for the defense. When he doesn't fumble it then he holds it way too long allowing the double team to arrive and get him into deeper trouble. So on most nights, most of his touches are either a turnover or they foul him, which might as well be a turnover.

It is clear he has not done his homework in learning the defensive schemes used to attack him. If he had, his reaction time and counter moves would be much quicker. Reading the defenses should be second nature by now. He should instantly know where the double is coming from so he can make a move or pass quickly. But obviously he doesn't know so his moves and reactions are like a stick in mud.

So either he is just not mentally quick enough to read and react to what should by now be second nature to him; or he hasn't been doing his homework.

At this point in his career, there are too many people telling him how great he is, so unless it is self discipline, it doesn't matter who his coach is.

Did anyone notice in the last Heat game Dwight showed signs of some new post moves? He used the backboard and kept the ball high. Also had a couple diff post moves. Use them more often.

There were more then one but this is only highlight I could find :58 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OQvwfvDfRk

He should watch tapes of that game and use those moves.

quote:
Originally posted by NickAnderson:

Did anyone notice in the last Heat game Dwight showed signs of some new post moves? He used the backboard and kept the ball high. Also had a couple diff post moves. Use them more often.

There were more then one but this is only highlight I could find :58 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OQvwfvDfRk

He should watch tapes of that game and use those moves.

I personally dont see anything wrong with his post moves...with me its always been about his consistency

One night he shoots 12 hooks the next he shoots 3 one night he uses his spin move the next he forgets he has it...

Hes needs to use these moves night in and night out regardless of if theyre working or not...you cant perfect them unless you use them in gametime situations