Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Howard's struggles offensively w/ C's are a concern(Sentinel)

quote:
Originally posted by skinnyhoops:

I don't think you can 100% put the blame on Ewing, thats sort of unfair. Even though I do agree Ewing isn't really helping that much, but it's ultimately up to Dwight to improve himself. During the offseason, he thinks it's more important to promote himself on TV and make public appearances rather than work on his game. So is he really satisfied with his game? If Dwight doesn't want it, then nobody can help him.

I completely agree with you. Great freakin post man.

Why is shooting threes a component of the Magic offense? To spread the floor for Dwight. What happened to Dwight tonight? Well he was shut down pretty much because no one but Rashard could consistently hit a three.

This season, the team isn't efficient at shooting the three. They either:

A. Go cold for an entire game

B. Shoot well for the first half and shoot horrible for the second half

C. Shoot horrible for the first half then shoot well for the second

D. Attempt to shoot well at the last minute (Today's game.)

Notice I didn't put stay hot for an entire game? I want the players take their time shooting there shots with perfect form. No rushing, no leaning, no flinging. They also need to work on court awareness and dribbling immediately off passes.

Most of all, passing and movement (on and off ball).

I heard Van Gundy clearly say to the players during a timeout that they were walking up court and shooting the ball or passing once and shooting the ball. After the timeout, they continued to do exactly what the coach told them not to do. I hope these players aren't starting to tune out Van Gundy. It seems like he's doing his job but not getting the cooperation.

quote:
Originally posted by Guardian:

Look I know the guy is a good shooter. He does hit some big shots but maybe just maybe if he did other things it would not even come down to that. I am just so frustrated with how soft he is and his lack of hustle.

Rashard Lewis team rankings:

3rd in PPG (15.6)

6th in APG (1.8)

2nd in RPG (5.4)

3rd in SPG (0.9)

4th in BPG (0.4)

So yeah. He does nothing for this team but shoot doesn't hustle at all.

Note: that was sarcasm. And no there not very impressive numbers when it comes to his contract, but also lets keep in mind of all the time he missed and how much Howard dominates things like Rebounds and blocks. Yet still Lewis holds his own compared to rest of the team in every stat but assists.

Moral of the story? Your argument fails and fails hard.

quote:
Originally posted by robotmaster:

Its called playing inside-out. Its called putting bass in to help dwight howard with the big guys.

Get a clue stan van dumby.

ElMayi I didnt know you had a second screen name! Good on ya mate!!! smile_cheers.gif

"establish an inside presence" against all opponents

This is the most encouraging statement that Stan might shake things up a bit and try something new. We def have the personnel to establish an inside presence.

I don't know what the answer to that is," Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy said. "We have not been able to establish him in the post against them and it's frustrating because we should be able to. I have to find an answer to that. I'm frustrated. I'm not frustrated with Dwight. I'm frustrated with myself."

This is the problem SVG does not know what to do.

quote:
Originally posted by Magicfan1961:

I don't know what the answer to that is," Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy said. "We have not been able to establish him in the post against them and it's frustrating because we should be able to. I have to find an answer to that. I'm frustrated. I'm not frustrated with Dwight. I'm frustrated with myself."

It's not that "he doesn't know" It's just that he's too stubborn to let go of his stale and predictable philosophy of shooting from the outside and pick and rolls passing it around the 3point line.

his answer to the reporter went something like "oh I think we need to get back to passing side to side" After hearing that I'm convinced Stan is the biggest moron alive, and that he'll never learn.

None of the good teams stop on a fast break to pass the ball around from one side to the other and burn the clock. Celts just keep on pushing it until they get right underneath the basket for layups or dunk.

The Celtics shot like crap also, but despite missing their best player the offense Doc has them running is a lot more effective than SVG's

Stan needs to go back to being an assistant again and see how the real coaches do it. It's obvious basketball logic doesn't come naturally to him. Having never played in the NBA of course doesn't help any.

quote:
Originally posted by ElMayi:

quote:

It's not that "he doesn't know" It's just that he's too stubborn to let go of his stale and predictable philosophy of shooting from the outside and pick and rolls passing it around the 3point line.

his answer to the reporter went something like "oh I think we need to get back to passing side to side" After hearing that I'm convinced Stan is the biggest moron alive, and that he'll never learn.

None of the good teams stop on a fast break to pass the ball around from one side to the other and burn the clock. Celts just keep on pushing it until they get right underneath the basket for layups or dunk.

The Celtics shot like crap also, but despite missing their best player the offense Doc has them running is a lot more effective than SVG's

Stan needs to go back to being an assistant again and see how the real coaches do it. It's obvious basketball logic doesn't come naturally to him. Having never played in the NBA of course doesn't help any.

I agree Stan is quite stubborn and definitely has flaws in his coaching strategy. But there is no doubt that he is a good borderline great coach. Just look at his history. He has a high winning percentage in both regular season and playoffs. all of his teams overachieve, and players get better under his watch.

Again, while he has his issues, and i have been pretty vocal about them, lets not start acting like he's some chump Otiz picked up off the street.

I hope for the good of the team that Stan adjust his style because its killing us right now. IMO there needs to be a trade. I've said it from day one, the success of a squad depends on the balance of a team. This team is not balanced offensively. Too many of our g/F cannot finish at the rim at a high percentage. Jameer, Redick, Rashard, Ryan are not great heading to the hoop. Their shots are very blockable cause they don't have the hops or speed to either dunk over or blow by their man.

Upfront we are making a mistake by not playing Bass over Gortat. Bass is a consistent low post scorer; Gortat is not. Even if you play them together that's cool. The major difference between the preseason and now is that Bass was giving us consistent scoring in the second unit.

Playing both Ryan and Shard is a mistake. It's like a pitcher who constantly throws fastballs, he will never be as successful without a change of pace ball.

Something needs to happen soon, or the "experts" are never gonna let us forget how much of a flop we are.

quote:
Originally posted by Darthmagic:

quote:
Originally posted by ElMayi:

quote:

I agree Stan is quite stubborn and definitely has flaws in his coaching strategy. But there is no doubt that he is a good borderline great coach. Just look at his history. He has a high winning percentage in both regular season and playoffs. all of his teams overachieve, and players get better under his watch.

Again, while he has his issues, and i have been pretty vocal about them, lets not start acting like he's some chump Otiz picked up off the street.

I hope for the good of the team that Stan adjust his style because its killing us right now. IMO there needs to be a trade. I've said it from day one, the success of a squad depends on the balance of a team. This team is not balanced offensively. Too many of our g/F cannot finish at the rim at a high percentage. Jameer, Redick, Rashard, Ryan are not great heading to the hoop. Their shots are very blockable cause they don't have the hops or speed to either dunk over or blow by their man.

Upfront we are making a mistake by not playing Bass over Gortat. Bass is a consistent low post scorer; Gortat is not. Even if you play them together that's cool. The major difference between the preseason and now is that Bass was giving us consistent scoring in the second unit.

Playing both Ryan and Shard is a mistake. It's like a pitcher who constantly throws fastballs, he will never be as successful without a change of pace ball.

Something needs to happen soon, or the "experts" are never gonna let us forget how much of a flop we are.

Yep +1

Well said, this is the point I have attempted to make over and again! For whatever reason last season, we would get a healthy dose of Tony Battie to help on the post, but not Bass, who in my opinion is a better player and brings more to the floor to help this team!!!

I tell you who Stan should really be pissed off with. PATRICK EWING. What the hake is he doing here. Howard post game haven't improved yet. Howard is thinking too much when trying to get his post move going instead of just playing the game and letting it flow. Also he gives up the ball too easy as soon as he sense a double team coming. You really have to question Howard's basketball IQ cause he really doesn't look any smarter than Pietrus out there. And I blame that on coaching. I thinking the Magic need to change big man coaches and get Hakeem Olajuwon here to work with him instead of Pat Ewing. Howard is just so limited on his post moves and that's the real reason he doesn't get the ball more. Stan knows it but he doesn't want to say it. Howard offensive post game/back to the basket game SUCKS. And he only goes off on centers he knows he can outplay. But if it's a good defending big man he struggles. Dominant players know how to still get the job done against good defenders. He doesn't and that's problem. If Howard wants the ball more than he needs to get his skills up and make more free throws. That will end all the hard fouls he gets under the basket. If a defense fouls Howard and put him to the line then that's consider smart basketball. Howard needs to make his freethrows and keep working on his post game so he can get the ball more. Stan doesn't trust him a lot on the offensive side. Either Howard is going to force up a dumb shot, get fouled and miss his freethrows or turnover the ball. That doesn't help the team at all.