Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Bobby Bowden to retire.

As a lifelong Gator fan this actually saddens me. I always had incredible respect for Bobby Bowden. I thought he was not only the best college football coach of all time, but the best football coach in general, and one of the best athletic coaches of all time. The man is a legend and I hated to see how he was treated this year by FSU. He deserved to go out on his own terms.

I grew up a FSU fan. Now I'm more of a fan of all of the teams in Florida, although UCF gets my first love, no matter how much they suck sometimes (thankfully this year has been much better!)

Bowden's time was up many years ago. He has made an once awesome program into a laughing house. Just like Notre Dame is now.

Tom Osborne got out at the perfect time. Too bad Bowden didn't figure that out.

quote:
Originally posted by Ramsde68:

As a lifelong Gator fan this actually saddens me. I always had incredible respect for Bobby Bowden. I thought he was not only the best college football coach of all time, but the best football coach in general, and one of the best athletic coaches of all time. The man is a legend and I hated to see how he was treated this year by FSU. He deserved to go out on his own terms.

Hate to see how he was treated? he doesn't do anything anymore. He has the field named after him, a stained glass window on one side of the stadium, a statue on the other, and the offer of a easy job as a ambassador for the university where he'll make a **** load of money attending events. What more should we have done for him?

You just like him because he's taken us out of contention by hiring friends as coaches rather than qualified individuals allowing UF to stomp all over us the last several years.

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:

Hate to see how he was treated? he doesn't do anything anymore. He has the field named after him, a stained glass window on one side of the stadium, a statue on the other, and the offer of a easy job as a ambassador for the university where he'll make a **** load of money attending events. What more should we have done for him?

You just like him because he's taken us out of contention by hiring friends as coaches rather than qualified individuals allowing UF to stomp all over us the last several years.

Has nothing at all to do with it. I liked Bowden well before Urban Meyer even started coaching at Utah. He had a class about him and how he ran his organization. Even though UF was my team I actually preferred Bowden's much more melo and calm approach to a game instead of Spurrier's hot headed visor throwing. Me respecting the man has nothing to do with how he has been "allowing UF to stomp all over us." I've said on this board several times that as long as they are not playing Florida, I hope FSU (and any other team in this state) does well. I like the rivalry to mean something. Clearly a depressed FSU fan though can't understand that, and can't even take a compliment towards the coach from a fan of their main rivals.

And as for how he was treated I'm talking about the constant barrage of questions and personal attacks he has gotten over this past season from the media and the fans. It was the same crap that Paterno went through a few years back at Penn State and I find it disrespectful and wrong. These guys are legends of the game and should be treated as such. If they want to choose there time to leave then let them choose. Bobby brought that program up from nothing and turned it into one of the most respected programs in the nation. A few down years wont change that. Didn't in Florida with Zook. Bobby earned the right to walk out on his own terms.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:

Has nothing at all to do with it. I liked Bowden well before Urban Meyer even started coaching at Utah. He had a class about him and how he ran his organization. Even though UF was my team I actually preferred Bowden's much more melo and calm approach to a game instead of Spurrier's hot headed visor throwing. Me respecting the man has nothing to do with how he has been "allowing UF to stomp all over us." I've said on this board several times that as long as they are not playing Florida, I hope FSU (and any other team in this state) does well. I like the rivalry to mean something. Clearly a depressed FSU fan though can't understand that, and can't even take a compliment towards the coach from a fan of their main rivals.

And as for how he was treated I'm talking about the constant barrage of questions and personal attacks he has gotten over this past season from the media and the fans. It was the same crap that Paterno went through a few years back at Penn State and I find it disrespectful and wrong. These guys are legends of the game and should be treated as such. If they want to choose there time to leave then let them choose. Bobby brought that program up from nothing and turned it into one of the most respected programs in the nation. A few down years wont change that. Didn't in Florida with Zook. Bobby earned the right to walk out on his own terms.

the statement on why you guys like bowden is a joke we have up here whenever a gate talks about letting bowden stay.

How is it disrespectful? I'm sick of non fans of FSU acting like we're ****ting on his legacy and throwing him out the door with no compensation for his years here. If it was your program this was happening at you would have no problem asking him to contemplate his retirement. He wants to coach until he dies and **** the university and the kids that go through the program.

He has no interest for whats best for the football program anymore. He hires his friends rather than good coaches. He illegally hires his son to be offensive coordinator. He abandons the team before the games, he doesn't coach during the games, he shows drastic signs of dementia during press conferences.

You bring up Zook, Zook's hiring (and quick firing) was a result of UF wanting to improve.

We want to improve and that can only happen if we lose Bobby, Mickey, Amato, and nelson.

We want bobby to leave so we can remember his legacy, not the lost decade.

EDIT: and the rivalry will be back within 3 years. We've had the talent to compete with you guys forever, they've just been so miscoached for so long that they play worse than their ability. I cant wait to see what our new defensive staff can do.