Sign in to follow this  
BigLebowski50

Magic Add Morris Almond and Linton Johnson

From Mr. Hollinger:

quote:
2007-08 season: Almond played only 40 minutes for the Jazz but played 34 D-League games with middling results. Though he had a few huge scoring games and averaged 24.8 points for the campaign, his percentages were average and he exhibited the same awful ballhandling numbers he showed in college -- Almond turned it over on 12.3 percent of his D-league possessions, which translates into a train wreck at the NBA level.

On a positive note, he showed the same knack for getting to the line he displayed as a collegian, and his style appears a good fit for Utah's grinding, physical system.

Scouting report: Almond is a good outside shooter, though he didn't sizzle from the 3-point line in D-League, and makes his foul shots. But he's also a big, physical guard who can overpower opponents underneath or on the block and get himself to the line. Almond's problems come when he tries to create, as he's been turnover prone his whole career and doesn't see the floor well. He may also be a step slow for the 2-guard spot, but we won't know until we see him try to guard NBA wings.

2008-09 outlook: He's 23 and knows what he's doing, so another year in the D-League probably won't do Almond much good. The problem is that Utah has a big crowd at the wings and is gunning for a title, making it difficult to work Almond into the mix. Look for the Jazz to sneak him into games early in the season so they can evaluate what they have, but don't expect him to get out of his warm-ups come April.

It sounds like he would be perfect in Courtney's offensive role from last year, the role we all have envisioned JJ filling. That should be a very good battle. I like that he has a little more size and can get to the line more often.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

Whatever. They are both going to be wearing suits.

Oh, the pains of summer....

That's assuming they even make the team.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

Whatever. They are both going to be wearing suits.

Oh, the pains of summer....

That's assuming they even make the team.

Excellent point...

I only found this out the last couple of days. I'm stoked to see Morris Almond in our roster. This guy is legit talent and is long deserving of a place in the NBA.

With that said I hope he presents a case for a spot on a roster that gives him the oppurtunity he deserves.