Its Official! Barnes A Magic! [update p.24]

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:
Originally posted by PEC:

quote:
Originally posted by Optimus Prime:
Originally posted by jack l j:

this is like barnes 7th team. someone please tell me why this has happened. last year phx got killed . i just dont get it. ra or bass will start and pie ane jj will be first of the bench, book it. jacklj[/quote. This is his 7th team because barnes is expendable and every team would glad to have a player like him. So when time comes around for a new contract or whatever the situation may be any team will sign or trade for him.

Why?

If so many teams would love to have him why has he been on 7 teams. You would think that if the teams he were on had loved him they wouldn't have gotten rid of him.

Yet another foolish remark from you. There is a huge list of valuable roleplayers that have moved from team to team. Steve Kerr practically played on every team in the league and was a key contributor on several championship teams.

I would tell you to think before you type but I don't want to ask something of you that you aren't capable of doing.

Only from you and a couple of others (who are just jerking around) would think this is foolish.

It was a simple question if he is so great why has he been on 7 different teams.

As to Mose Malone I checked he was on one team for a long time before he started to team jump the same can not be said of Barnes.

So here is the question again (and it would be great if someone gave an answer instead of attacking the poster with bs)

why has Barnes been on so many different teams?

Compared to Moses, Barnes has been in the league for a short time.

Moses Malone played on a different team in each of his 2 years in the ABA, and was traded halfway through his first year in the NBA.

That means he played on 4 different teams in his first 3 years in the league.

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

Moses Malone played on a different team in each of his 2 years in the ABA, and was traded halfway through his first year in the NBA.

You really need to read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moses_Malone

Malone played for 4 years with Houston and then Philly for several years as well.

As for the ABA it was getting ready to merge and his last team St. Louis folded when they merged.

Big difference over Barnes. It pays to check the facts.

See all you had to do was answer just a simple question about Barnes instead of all the bs.

quote:

So here is the question again (and it would be great if someone gave an answer instead of attacking the poster with bs)

Obviously, no one can give a definitive answer because none of us have been in the offices of the 7 GMs when these discussions came about.

But my opinion is that he has gradually become better over time. Teams saw potential, but did not consider him a critical part of their future. Thus when it came time to make trades, and they needed to add salaries to make the trade meet the salary requirements, he was someone a team would be willing to lose, and the other team saw value in bringing on.

It's the Keith Bogans / Mo Evans / Deshaun Stevenson disease. Good enough to be useful to the team, but not good enough to be vital to the team.

And Matt Barnes is not vital to the Magic. But he will be useful.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Optimus Prime:
Originally posted by jack l j:

this is like barnes 7th team. someone please tell me why this has happened. last year phx got killed . i just dont get it. ra or bass will start and pie ane jj will be first of the bench, book it. jacklj[/quote. This is his 7th team because barnes is expendable and every team would glad to have a player like him. So when time comes around for a new contract or whatever the situation may be any team will sign or trade for him.

Why?

If so many teams would love to have him why has he been on 7 teams. You would think that if the teams he were on had loved him they wouldn't have gotten rid of him.

Yet another foolish remark from you. There is a huge list of valuable roleplayers that have moved from team to team. Steve Kerr practically played on every team in the league and was a key contributor on several championship teams.

I would tell you to think before you type but I don't want to ask something of you that you aren't capable of doing.

Only from you and a couple of others (who are just jerking around) would think this is foolish.

It was a simple question if he is so great why has he been on 7 different teams.

As to Mose Malone I checked he was on one team for a long time before he started to team jump the same can not be said of Barnes.

Compared to Moses, Barnes has been in the league for a short time.

Why was Darrel Armstrong on so many teams? Why has James Posey played for 6 different teams? Bruce Bowen played for 4 different teams in 5 years before he finally found a home in San Antonio. It sometimes takes roleplayers a while to find a niche in the NBA.

I can't believe this actually has to be explained to you.

quote:

quote:

Or I could just read his stats: http://www.basketball-referenc...ers/m/malonmo01.html

Yes, he did stick in Houston for 5 years. But what you're failing to understand is that Houston was his 5th professional team.

Your entire crux of your argument was that Barnes must suck because he was a member of 6 teams in his first 6 years.

Well, Moses Malone was a 3 time MVP, and he was a member of 5 teams in his first 4 years in the league.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

quote:

Obviously, no one can give a definitive answer because none of us have been in the offices of the 7 GMs when these discussions came about.

But my opinion is that he has gradually become better over time. Teams saw potential, but did not consider him a critical part of their future. Thus when it came time to make trades, and they needed to add salaries to make the trade meet the salary requirements, he was someone a team would be willing to lose, and the other team saw value in bringing on.

It's the Keith Bogans / Mo Evans / Deshaun Stevenson disease. Good enough to be useful to the team, but not good enough to be vital to the team.

Thank you.

That's what I was wondering. It really is nice when someone knows an answer to a question instead of attacking the poster.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thank you.

That's what I was wondering. It really is nice when someone knows an answer to a question instead of attacking the poster.

That's pretty much the long version of the same response you replied to, when asking why Barnes has been on 7 teams to begin with. You had your answer before you asked the question.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Or I could just read his stats: http://www.basketball-referenc...ers/m/malonmo01.html

Yes, he did stick in Houston for 5 years. But what you're failing to understand is that Houston was his 5th professional team.

Your entire crux of your argument was that Barnes must suck because he was a member of 6 teams in his first 6 years.

Well, Moses Malone was a 3 time MVP, and he was a member of 5 teams in his first 4 years in the league.

I didn't fail to understand that and if you had read my link you would have seen why this came to be.

Utah Stars then St Louis who folded then to Porland who didn't use him then to Buffalo who used him as trade bait then to Houston where he played many great years.

Then he signed a deal with Philly as a RFA which was matched then Houston traded him to Philly.

His early years in the ABA were not much and when he entered the NBA the first two teams he was used as trade bait. Plus remember he was very young.

So there is a full story about why he was on all those teams.

Now if you had just given me your simple answer about Barnes like another poster this would not be some big deal. Instead you attack. Why do you do that. Do you need to get off on attacking just for the fun of it without answering a simple question.

Much a do about nothing.

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thank you.

That's pretty much the long version of the same response you replied to, when asking why Barnes has been on 7 teams to begin with. You had your answer before you asked the question.

Actually since you and the other poster did not feel the need to answer, instead you put down or attack.

At least one member here was considerate and answered my question without any bs and for that I was very thankful.

It would be nice if you could have done that as well instead of acting like some .........

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I didn't fail to understand that and if you had read my link you would have seen why this came to be.

Utah Stars then St Louis who folded then to Porland who didn't use him then to Buffalo who used him as trade bait then to Houston where he played many great years.

Then he signed a deal with Philly as a RFA which was matched then Houston traded him to Philly.

His early years in the ABA were not much and when he entered the NBA the first two teams he was used as trade bait. Plus remember he was very young.

So there is a full story about why he was on all those teams.

Now if you had just given me your simple answer about Barnes like another poster this would not be some big deal. Instead you attack. Why do you do that. Do you need to get off on attacking just for the fun of it without answering a simple question.

Much a do about nothing.

PEC: of the two of us, I'm the one who actually knows who Moses Malone IS. I don't need to refer to Wikipedia to know the things you're quoting from it.

And even within THIS post, you've negated your own premise. Malone was an ABA all-star before the dispersal draft, where Portland took him and traded him immediately to Buffalo. Then Buffalo traded him to Houston, despite his allstar status. That's a player being traded twice in one season, after he'd just been an allstar. THEN he was traded immediately after winning an MVP by Houston a few years later. Knowing that, why would you be concerned at all with Barnes, a roleplayer, playing for multiple teams?

Matt Barnes is like a band-aid. You use it when you need. Well in Matt Barnes case teams use him to get to where they need to go. Hes a player that can fit on any team. Players like that you dont have to give them a long term contract. He can just help out year to year. But if he leaves or not resigned, no big deal cause players like him can always be replaced. However every team hes been to, given quality minutes, hes produced enough to be a solid contributor. So picking up Barnes is huge but if we lose him then we really lose nothing. Just a 2 year rental of Matt Barnes services. No strings attached.