Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

ESPN Magic blogger Zach McCann on Marcin & the future(link)

I know everyone seems to be pumped about maybe getting Battier for Gortat, but why not try to get Bosh? I'm no cap expert but just looking at the salaries roughly I think that we could make it work.

We all know that Bosh is going to opt out after this coming season and the odds are pretty good that he's not going back to the Raps, so I think they would be very interested in getting Gortat and teaming him up with Turk and Bargnani.

So Bosh makes around $15 mil, I know that Gortat's salary is only worth about $3 mill in a trade right now cause of it being his first yr in a new contract, or something like that.

So you take that $3 mil, plus the cash we got in the Turk deal that brings us in around $10, so then we throw in maybe Pietrus to make it work. So you give up Gortat, Pietrus and the trade exemption for Bosh, correct me if I'm off with the numbers.

But man what a lineup of Nelson, Carter, Lewis, Bosh and Dwight. And if we pick up Barnes as a FA we really don't lose anything in Pietrus cause there almost the same player.

Any takers on this trade?

quote:
Originally posted by clarkn1237:

I know everyone seems to be pumped about maybe getting Battier for Gortat, but why not try to get Bosh? I'm no cap expert but just looking at the salaries roughly I think that we could make it work.

We all know that Bosh is going to opt out after this coming season and the odds are pretty good that he's not going back to the Raps, so I think they would be very interested in getting Gortat and teaming him up with Turk and Bargnani.

So Bosh makes around $15 mil, I know that Gortat's salary is only worth about $3 mill in a trade right now cause of it being his first yr in a new contract, or something like that.

So you take that $3 mil, plus the cash we got in the Turk deal that brings us in around $10, so then we throw in maybe Pietrus to make it work. So you give up Gortat, Pietrus and the trade exemption for Bosh, correct me if I'm off with the numbers.

But man what a lineup of Nelson, Carter, Lewis, Bosh and Dwight. And if we pick up Barnes as a FA we really don't lose anything in Pietrus cause there almost the same player.

You can't combine a TE with a player salary to take on a larger salary. So no, there will be no takers on that trade.

quote:
Originally posted by God hates Magic fans:

If Toronto sucks balls again we may just have the Ammo to get Bosh now, Anderson and Gortat would be attractive to them if they know he's leaving, me thinks.

Well that trade would not work since both players would count a total of about $4 million TOTAL in a trade this season. If we are going to get Bosh, it will be in the summer in a S&T when Gortat's contract is worth full value in a trade. Furthermore we would not be giving away young pieces for a potential rental.

I suspect a trade of Bass, Gortat and Pietrus would work for Bosh. 3 young players for Bosh is the best they will get. Those 3 we can offer up are starters potential. You have to give up to get in this league. That trade and those salaries will work next summer for a max Bosh contract.

Then you use the TPE either at the trade deadline to fill a hole, or next summer to replace Pietrus. Bass and Tat would be replaced by Bosh. Then we still have our full MLE to work with.

I was going through the Mavs board, and a moderator posted this. I don't know if its bullcrap or even just wishful thinking, but i'd like to hear if any of you think there would be any validity to this.....

Quote: BTW...I don't want to get anyone's hopes up here. Let me preface this by saying that I doubt there's more than a 5% chance that this happens.

However, Cuban said yesterday at some point that no official paperwork has gone through for the Gortat signing.

Orlando, because of the exception they received in the trade, can now trade Gortat without worrying about BYC issues.

It is possible - remotely possible - that the Magic are simply playing hardball with the Mavs in order to get some sort of chip from them in a SnT (which is possible if all three parties agree to rescind the offer sheet). End Quote

What do you think?? It is interesting, but is it legal to play this type of smokescreen with NBA rules?

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

You can't combine a TE with a player salary to take on a larger salary. So no, there will be no takers on that trade.

**** it, I knew it was too good to be true, so if that's the case, I'm kind of bummed/ticked that we resigned Gortat, I thought that we could land a TOP-NOTCH SUPERSTAR (and Battier isn't one of them) for Gortat + the TE but if we can't use the 2 together, I don't see us getting anything remotely close to being worth that kind of cash.

Right when I think Otis does something good. So it looks like the Gortat signing will match the Lewis signing in one of the most OVERPAID contracts in the league.

quote:
Originally posted by Natmayo:

What do you think?? It is interesting, but is it legal to play this type of smokescreen with NBA rules?

Technically? Yes, that is legal.

However, given that there is nothing on the Mavs roster that could be had for Gortat anyway, I find that scenario to be incredibly unlikely.

quote:

quote:

quote:

**** it, I knew it was too good to be true, so if that's the case, I'm kind of bummed/ticked that we resigned Gortat, I thought that we could land a TOP-NOTCH SUPERSTAR (and Battier isn't one of them) for Gortat + the TE but if we can't use the 2 together, I don't see us getting anything remotely close to being worth that kind of cash.

Right when I think Otis does something good. So it looks like the Gortat signing will match the Lewis signing in one of the most OVERPAID contracts in the league.

At this point, Gortat is probably a legitimate top 20 center in the NBA. That says more about how bad the center position is right now than it does about him, but it means that the Magic have a top 20 center signed for the league average. Samuel Dalembert makes double that, and Gortat took his lunch money him in a playoff game that was Gortat's 6th start ever.

In terms of basketball talent, this was a GREAT signing.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Natmayo:

Technically? Yes, that is legal.

However, given that there is nothing on the Mavs roster that could be had for Gortat anyway, I find that scenario to be incredibly unlikely.

You know its weird but this exact scenario ran through my mind last night...

Now I think the Mavs are out of 1st rounders until 2020 because of Jason Kidd but if you could get a pick from them or something of value why not...

Like DOM said (and someone else posted salaries of Diop, Curry, Z, etc.) in terms of basketball talent its a great signing.

quote:

At this point, Gortat is probably a legitimate top 20 center in the NBA. That says more about how bad the center position is right now than it does about him, but it means that the Magic have a top 20 center signed for the league average. Samuel Dalembert makes double that, and Gortat took his lunch money him in a playoff game that was Gortat's 6th start ever.

Come on dude, seriously? I like Gortat but saying he's one of the 20 best centers in the league isn't saying much. I would much rather have had a proven vet like Mcdysse or Sheed on this team rather than Gortat for the money.

Heck I wouldn't have minded us losing Gortat if it would have gotten us ZaZa, to me there about the same, cept ZaZa might have an edge in toughness.

Bottom line is I think Gortat might be fools gold, and I'm either going to be dead wrong (which I hope I am) or I'm dead right, and if that's the case we're stuck with Ike Austin version 2.0

quote:

quote:

Come on dude, seriously? I like Gortat but saying he's one of the 20 best centers in the league isn't saying much. I would much rather have had a proven vet like Mcdysse or Sheed on this team rather than Gortat for the money.

Heck I wouldn't have minded us losing Gortat if it would have gotten us ZaZa, to me there about the same, cept ZaZa might have an edge in toughness.

Bottom line is I think Gortat might be fools gold, and I'm either going to be dead wrong (which I hope I am) or I'm dead right, and if that's the case we're stuck with Ike Austin version 2.0

You fail to understand the concept that Gortat and the trade exception garnered in the Hedo deal with be used not too long after Dec 15th in order to obtain someone much stronger than Sheed or "Mcdysse."

quote:

quote:

First of all, don't call me "dude". We are neither cowboys, nor are we stereotypes from a bad surfer movie.

Second, I could care less what you'd rather have. I'd like to be the king of all Maryland and wear a shiny hat. Complaining that I'm not is stupid and counterproductive.

Third, you never addressed my point. I acknowledged freely that Gortat would not be a top 20 center in a more competitive era at the position. However, ignoring his obvious talents(he's a very good rebounder, a willing and capable interior passer, he can finish, he's a good shotblocker, has a decent jumper out to 14', is a solid help defender and a VERY good man defender for a second year player) just because of the "ZOMG HE'S NOT SHEED!" weakness is stupid.

Gortat is a very good young center, who clearly would've started over Dampier(who makes 10m this year and 13m the following year) in Dallas. Ignoring that because he's not the player you wanted is silly. The only reason to not match Gortat was money, and if that was made a non-issue for Otis, then matching was and should've been academic.