Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

With Houston in need should Otis match? Barnes info(Denton & Povtak)

Or any team as far as I'm concerned...

quote:

The Orlando Magic have an agreement in place with blossoming power forward Brandon Bass on a four-year, $18 million free-agent contract, a deal that increases the likelihood that they won't match Marcin Gortat's $33.9 million offer sheet from the Dallas Mavericks.

"It just doesn't look like they are going to pay all of that money to a backup player who plays 10 minutes a night," Gortat said from the Orlando Pro Summer League, where he's been a spectator all week. "(The Bass signing) explains a lot to me and it looks like I've got to get ready for a trip to Dallas."

If Orlando does decide to match Gortat's offer sheet, it would likely be doing so it order to use the promising center as a trade asset. Houston, which was the first team to call Gortat on July 1, would likely be interested in Gortat wil Yao Ming expected to miss all of next season.

quote:

Smith's next target is another wing player, and his top target is believed to be Phoenix's Matt Barnes. The veteran wing player would give the Magic more defensive grit and he is a natural fit because of his ability to shoot the 3-pointer.

And then this from Tim Povtak:

quote:

"I have a feeling now they (Magic) are going to match it,'' Gortat said Friday between Summer League Games. "That's what I'm hearing, they will match. We'll have to see, but I'm kind of down right now. Either way, I'll end up on a pretty good team.''

"I've said all along, I think the number (his contract) is a little high,'' Smith said. "But that doesn't change how we think. One thing (signing Bass) doesn't have anything to do with the other (matching Gortat). I'm still working on a few other things, and until those transpire, it's kind of premature to say what we're going to do.''

You decide...I know what I would do, lol...

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13262

Or any team as far as I'm concerned...

quote:

The Orlando Magic have an agreement in place with blossoming power forward Brandon Bass on a four-year, $18 million free-agent contract, a deal that increases the likelihood that they won't match Marcin Gortat's $33.9 million offer sheet from the Dallas Mavericks.

"It just doesn't look like they are going to pay all of that money to a backup player who plays 10 minutes a night," Gortat said from the Orlando Pro Summer League, where he's been a spectator all week. "(The Bass signing) explains a lot to me and it looks like I've got to get ready for a trip to Dallas."

If Orlando does decide to match Gortat's offer sheet, it would likely be doing so it order to use the promising center as a trade asset. Houston, which was the first team to call Gortat on July 1, would likely be interested in Gortat wil Yao Ming expected to miss all of next season.

quote:

Smith's next target is another wing player, and his top target is believed to be Phoenix's Matt Barnes. The veteran wing player would give the Magic more defensive grit and he is a natural fit because of his ability to shoot the 3-pointer.

And then this from Tim Povtak:

quote:

"I have a feeling now they (Magic) are going to match it,'' Gortat said Friday between Summer League Games. "That's what I'm hearing, they will match. We'll have to see, but I'm kind of down right now. Either way, I'll end up on a pretty good team.''

"I've said all along, I think the number (his contract) is a little high,'' Smith said. "But that doesn't change how we think. One thing (signing Bass) doesn't have anything to do with the other (matching Gortat). I'm still working on a few other things, and until those transpire, it's kind of premature to say what we're going to do.''

You decide...I know what I would do, lol...

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13262

absolutely.

Its not against any rules to be talking to Houston now, is it? Like "hey, if we match Gortat, what will you give us?"

I know I would. Athletic, younger 7 footer with untapped potential. He's got value. Sorry Mark.

man, I'd match and KEEP Gortat. Our front line would be the best for the next 3-4 yrs.

Obviously, I don't care about the money because I'm not paying anything.

A lot of posts were saying how Otis looked happy yesterday like he had something up his sleeve. I can only hope that he knows he's going to re-sign Gortat and that he's been talking to Houston about Battier or something.

If we add Barnes though, we might have a bit of a logjam with SGs and SFs. I think getting a backup C, unless they plan on using Bass for that, needs to be addressed soon.

I'd do the match and send him to Houston. It would be a shrewd move and make us better.

Adding Battier and maybe a Landry or something would really make us head and shoulders above everyone on paper.

It would be a real proactive move. We will see.

Otis should have perma-grin on his face right now. He is in the drivers seat, and as long as Devos is willing to foot the bill, he has amassed a talented roster with pieces available to trade and address needs mid season if need be.

quote:
Originally posted by You're Fat, Pat!:

Man, Gortat seems like he just is dying to leave.

Which is one of the reasons why I wouldn't want to keep him around. I like Marcin, but lately, its been all about having the opportunity to start, play a bunch of minutes, and showcase his abilities. Which, I can't really knock him for. But that's probably not going to be his role in Orlando - and I think his performance would suffer because of it.

I'd definitely be talking to teams to try and flip him though.

Adding Battier would create a large logjam at the 2/3, especially if we go through with the Barnes signing. Truth be told, I don't know what other pieces we need. Back-up C, back-up PG?

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

Adding Battier would create a large logjam at the 2/3, especially if we go through with the Barnes signing. Truth be told, I don't know what other pieces we need. Back-up C, back-up PG?

Battier is a piece I would be more than willing to add to this roster, log jam or not.

Another thing to consider is our future as far as contracts go. It will be difficult to add pieces as we go, so having a couple of extra pieces now can help future movement as well.