Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Finally McDyess is linked w/ Magic! Other news & notes(Denton)

quote:
Originally posted by gobucsmagic:

quote:
Originally posted by PEC:

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

The plot thickens...

quote:

Though the Spurs have contacted Davis since free agency began last week, they have yet to discuss an offer with his camp. In addition, the two sides have not talked since Wallace committed to the Celtics on Sunday.

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, Davis, a restricted free agent, is not particularly close to signing an offer sheet with any team.

It could just be a matter of time. After the Celtics ponied up their full mid-level exception to lure Wallace, it remains to be seen how large of an offer they are willing to match in order to retain Big Baby.

It the meantime, the Spurs appear intent on saving their MLE to pursue the player who appears to be their top remaining free-agent target -- Detroit forward Antonio McDyess -- before pledging it elsewhere.

I'm not a GM but maybe we can sign-n-trade Gortat for Bass use our mid-level to lure McDyess...???

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/...no-big-baby-off.html

I hope you remember we can't do a S&T Gortat for Bass remember. All we can do is match and that is not going to happen.

Why couldn't we do a sign and trade with Gortat. I've mentioned this scenario several times on the boards and no one has ever said we couldn't, by rule, execute a sign and trade.

My understanding is that once Gortat signs an offer sheet we will not be able to do this. We can sign and trade if he doesn't sign the offer sheet, but I would assume that it would have to be with Dallas at this point. If we really want Bass, then the deal has to be made prior to the sheet being signed for us to do a sign and trade.

quote:
quote:

Anderson, a starter for 30 games last season in New Jersey, has been told by Van Gundy he wants him to provide shooting and scoring punch to the Magic's second until. He'll back up Lewis at power forward and he'll play extended time there when Lewis shifts to small forward.

Finally, for those of you that keep insisting Rashard is gonna be starting back at SF...

This has me perplexed. Everyone keeps saying that we need a PF, but it seems that SVG and Otis have Shard at that position.

So who is going to be our starting SF?

I think I read something from SVG indicating Vince would play SF and JJ would start, with MP and Ryan Anderson coming off the bench... but it could have just been a nightmare...

quote:

From Woddy Wommack of Orlando Magic Daily...he attended yesterday's summer league games on Ryan Anderson...

quote:

After shaking off some initial rust and a slight case of nerves, Anderson looked exactly like the player Otis Smith and Stan Van Gundy have been raving about since he was acquired as part of the Vince Carter trade on June 25.

Anderson hit the three-ball (2-for-3 in the second half), showed off his ball-handling skills and even took the ball to the hoop with authority.

To be honest, he looked like a young Hedo Turkoglu.

Now I realize that it's summer league and the Magic lost, but the summer has very little to do with wins and losses. The week of exhibition games is all about evaluating talent and finding out just who is ready to step up from bench player to legitimate contributer.

Yeah I agree, God Hates Magic Fans...don't see how Otis can't bring back Gortat unless he has something else up his sleeve as far as "BIGS" go...we are certainly hurting right now in that area...Didn't Otis say this, "honestly, I can spend as much as I want too"...so what's the problem, Otis...match Gortat and get one or two of McDyess, Bass and or Big Baby...

http://www.orlandomagicdaily.com/

So you and God hates Magic fans want to overpay Gortat that doesn't make any sense, and for that reason Otis will not match Dallas's offer to Gortat.

What did Otis say that's right now interested in Big Baby they have someone else in their sights.

Really sounds like Bass.

quote:
Originally posted by BigBoy:

I think I read something from SVG indicating Vince would play SF and JJ would start, with MP and Ryan Anderson coming off the bench... but it could have just been a nightmare...

No SVG actually did say that.

You must have been dreaming that Otis overpaid Hedo to keep him with the Magic.

Nightmare on Elm Street is based on a true story... so your nightmare is not a nightmare.

quote:

From Woddy Wommack of Orlando Magic Daily...he attended yesterday's summer league games on Ryan Anderson...

quote:

After shaking off some initial rust and a slight case of nerves, Anderson looked exactly like the player Otis Smith and Stan Van Gundy have been raving about since he was acquired as part of the Vince Carter trade on June 25.

Anderson hit the three-ball (2-for-3 in the second half), showed off his ball-handling skills and even took the ball to the hoop with authority.

To be honest, he looked like a young Hedo Turkoglu.

Now I realize that it's summer league and the Magic lost, but the summer has very little to do with wins and losses. The week of exhibition games is all about evaluating talent and finding out just who is ready to step up from bench player to legitimate contributer.

Yeah I agree, God Hates Magic Fans...don't see how Otis can't bring back Gortat unless he has something else up his sleeve as far as "BIGS" go...we are certainly hurting right now in that area...Didn't Otis say this, "honestly, I can spend as much as I want too"...so what's the problem, Otis...match Gortat and get one or two of McDyess, Bass and or Big Baby...

http://www.orlandomagicdaily.com/

Can't argue with that, I would also agree that Otis put his foot in his mouth when he said that he can spend as much as he wants to.....and we sit by and watch the talent poole shrink, like he has coupons to redeem! Otis, listen please....if you have the authority to put the best team on the floor, without having ti worry about cost......then you are failing your fan base at this point!!!! Prove it and get it done!!

quote:
Originally posted by DanzigMagic:

quote:
quote:

Anderson, a starter for 30 games last season in New Jersey, has been told by Van Gundy he wants him to provide shooting and scoring punch to the Magic's second until. He'll back up Lewis at power forward and he'll play extended time there when Lewis shifts to small forward.

Finally, for those of you that keep insisting Rashard is gonna be starting back at SF...

This has me perplexed. Everyone keeps saying that we need a PF, but it seems that SVG and Otis have Shard at that position.

So who is going to be our starting SF?

stan can only comment on the current roster... If we get a different pf he will change his tune...

With our current roster we have to go small

Howard

Lewis/anderson

mp/richardson

carter/jj

nelson/aj

but like i said; if we get new players, then it changes...

quote:
Originally posted by God hates Magic fans:

How about we just keep Gortat and sign McDyess?

OR...we could use our MLE for Bass and re-sign Gortat.

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

Ryan Anderson the next young Hedo Turkoglu? now now.. thats overrating.

In all fairness, the author said that he "looked like a young Hedo Turkoglu"...little different than saying he is the next young Hedo Turkoglu...

I'll repeat what I have said in other threads. Otis and SVG both want Shard as their starting PF. The only acquisition that would have possibly changed that would have been Sheed.

Whoever else we sign will be for the purpose of coming off the bench and providing versatility in matching up with big lineups.

But Shard is the starting PF for this team. All the GMs and coaches in this forum that desperately want to imagine otherwise are wasting their time.

Personally, I don't think that they believe that Shard can guard a wing player effectively for long periods of time, and that is one of the main reasons they do not intend on giving him full run at SF.

They may be right or they may be wrong, but that's the way they like it, so I would suggest taking the "acceptance" route. Otherwise, you are going to have a miserable summer.

an off season that would bring us

VC/Anderson/McDyess+Bass or VC/Anderson/McDyess+Gortat would be amazing in my book...

I'm also holding out hope for the addition of Theo Ratliff or Rasho as a backup for Dwight...