Sign in to follow this  
The Solution

Hill's future with Magic sparks much speculation

quote:
Originally posted by RIP CITY:

I definitely think the Magic should look into signing Rick Carlisle. Sure he is not a coach that will run an uptempo style, and his offensive sets are not that great, but he is a great defensive coach, will teach good fundamentals, and is a very good motivator. His teams play with heart, and toughness and he is a very good coach for a young team to have.

This sounds EXACTLY like the explanation as to why Brian Hill was hired to be coach of the Orlando Magic.

No thanks, we've been this route.

Are we sure there wasn't one? (player revolt) I mean I haven't read or heard A SINGLE player say one word in his defense - or did I miss that sound byte. Closest I heard was some rumor that Dwight was going to sign the extension as a show of support to Hill. However Dwight himself has been mums the word and it would only have taken one from him for the Magic to pull back - at least publicly.

quote:
Originally posted by MagicmaninMiami:

Are we sure there wasn't one? (player revolt) I mean I haven't read or heard A SINGLE player say one word in his defense - or did I miss that sound byte.

The rumors of player dissatisfaction are mostly about Brian Hill's offensive scheme.

The only quotes are from Darko saying the way he is used will be just as important as money when contract negotiations take place. Dwight's agent says that Dwight is not getting enough touches. These comments translate to a unsatisfactory offensive system. Otis is on record as saying that Jameer can be the starting point guard if we play up tempo.

JJ probably has gone the furthest in thrashing the coach but their are no quotes. Both Otis and BVW indicate that they told Brian to use JJ but it didn't happen. Brian has made Otis' job very difficult in evaluating young players.

There are no players on record supporting the coach except the spin of a reporter suggesting Dwight signing a contract extention is supporting Brian as the coach. Most of us believe BVW has given Dwight assurance that changes will be made.

I'm watching the GS, Utah game right now. GS just put up 70 in a HALF. I know, I know, they don't play D. Well they are limiting Utah's 2nd chance pts (Utah is a very good rebounding team) and they are keeping Boozer out of the game. They are playing just enough D to make things difficult on Utah and right now they are up by about 20.

My point in all of this is, this is basically the same team that was going no where last year, no real personel changes to speak of, except one, they changed the coach. Nelson is using guys that have been there like Biendris, Ellis, and Barnes. Last year they were using Foyle, this year Biendris is playing fantastic. Amazing what a good coach can do for a team.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

I'm watching the GS, Utah game right now. GS just put up 70 in a HALF. I know, I know, they don't play D. Well they are limiting Utah's 2nd chance pts (Utah is a very good rebounding team) and they are keeping Boozer out of the game. They are playing just enough D to make things difficult on Utah and right now they are up by about 20.

My point in all of this is, this is basically the same team that was going no where last year, no real personel changes to speak of, except one, they changed the coach. Nelson is using guys that have been there like Biendris, Ellis, and Barnes. Last year they were using Foyle, this year Biendris is playing fantastic. Amazing what a good coach can do for a team.

They were an "8" seed, just like us. Don't you think it helps them just a little Marc to have a healthy Baron Davis? Lord knows Magic fans know how he has tormented our franchise.

I'll bet you any amonut of money Utah wins that series!

They were an 8th seed in the west, there is a difference between east and west. Baron missed games this year just like every other year (Lord only knows why I keep drafting the guy in my fantasy leagues!) the difference is how they have developed Ellis, Pietrus, and Biendris and that they have given Barnes enough of a chance to prove himself. The other major change was that Nelson brought a system that was perfect for the personel they have. They also play VERY hard, all of those things are things I attribute to Nelson.

quote:

Sure the new coach helped the team but don't you think the mid-season trade aquiring Stephen Jackson and Al Harrington helped them more? Dunleavy and Murphy weren't good for Nelson's system so they brought in guys who were.

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

quote:

Sure the new coach helped the team but don't you think the mid-season trade aquiring Stephen Jackson and Al Harrington helped them more? Dunleavy and Murphy weren't good for Nelson's system so they brought in guys who were.

That is a good point too, both changes were needed to make that team what it is. They brought in a system that worked with their key parts, and removed the pieces that didn't work.

I know its half and half, but you will never know what the heck you have if you aren't using it properly. You won't know if you have a Montae Ellis or a Matt Barnes on your bench. I read a story today that Mo Cheeks was verbally abusing Barnes to the point that he was thinking about quiting the NBA. The coach obviously thought he couldn't play even by what he was seeing in practice. Think he could use a guy that hit's 3's rebounds and plays hard?

quote:

I know its half and half, but you will never know what the heck you have if you aren't using it properly. You won't know if you have a Montae Ellis or a Matt Barnes on your bench.

I agree with this 100%. Nothing more to say, lol.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

quote:

That is a good point too, both changes were needed to make that team what it is. They brought in a system that worked with their key parts, and removed the pieces that didn't work.

I know its half and half, but you will never know what the heck you have if you aren't using it properly. You won't know if you have a Montae Ellis or a Matt Barnes on your bench. I read a story today that Mo Cheeks was verbally abusing Barnes to the point that he was thinking about quiting the NBA. The coach obviously thought he couldn't play even by what he was seeing in practice. Think he could use a guy that hit's 3's rebounds and plays hard?

Thanks for helping me put Acres in check Nyce!(lol) It's personnel and coaching.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Thanks for helping me put Acres in check Nyce!(lol) It's personnel and coaching.

LOL! No problem Junkie. I'm just making sure credit goes where credit is due.

Putting me in check? You know what, if you remember back to when all of this started I've mentioned quite a few times that this team is flawed and that we need personel changes and a new coach. Don't start painting me as someone that only see's one side of the whole thing.