Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Denton, "5 area's the Magic must address to become championship contenders".

quote:
Five areas the Magic must address this offseason if they hope to finish next season with the optimism of a team actually contending for a championship.

(1)Decide on Brian Hill's fate quickly. If Hill is going to be fired, the Magic would be wise to move as quickly as possible. The franchise needs a coach in place before the free-agent courting process opens in July. And if the Magic are going to replace Hill with one of the top candidates (Larry Brown, Rick Carlisle or Marc Ivaroni), they had better make their move in the coming weeks.

As for Hill, there are some in the organization who still think the veteran coach can return to the Magic. Putting his future in doubt greatly undermines his authority with his players. But if Hill is willing to be more flexible with his player rotations and the style the Magic play next season, there is a belief he could keep his job.

(2)A summer of improvement from Dwight Howard. Howard's scoring average has gone up each of his three NBA seasons, but the franchise center still has a ways to go to become the Magic's go-to-scorer. He certainly proved he could dunk, leading the league in stuffs with 254 this season. But Howard has to add a jump hook and a face-up jump shot from 12 feet to counter defenders who keep him away from the rim.

Also, the Magic are in the process of hiring Howard a shooting coach in hopes of addressing his problems from the free-throw line. He dipped to 58.6 percent during the season and he was much worse (45.5 percent) in the playoffs. If Howard doesn't get this flaw fixed now, he's headed for Shaquille O'Neal depths.

Howard would be better working with a veteran big-man coach (maybe Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Pete Newell, Bob McAdoo or Clifford Ray), but instead he'll spend a large chunk of his summer playing with Team USA. So it's up to Howard to come back next season with a new wrinkle to his game.

(3)Re-sign Darko Milicic. Bringing back the 7-foot Serbian is priority No. 1 this summer for the Magic -- if they can get him at what they deem to be a logical figure. Milicic will be a restricted free agent, meaning the Magic can match any offer he receives from another team.

The Magic actually want to knock out Milicic's deal first because they won't know how many free-agent dollars they have remaining until they sign him. Expect the Magic to offer a deal at $7-8 million per season, but not necessarily at the length Milicic might want (three years instead of six).

One rub is that Milicic wants to expand his game more to the perimeter next season. Hill made him stay mostly inside this season, and by the playoffs he developed a lot of confidence -- not to mention a nifty left-handed hook -- on the low block. But he wants to expand his game to the outside where he occasionally shoots 3-pointers.

Money will be the overriding factor in Milicic's decision, but his role in the offense will also play a major part.

(4)Be aggressive in free agency or trade. The free-agent market will feature top names such as Vince Carter, Chauncey Billups, Rashard Lewis and Gerald Wallace. But those players will be extremely difficult to lure away because their teams can pay more than the Magic.

Carter seems the most logical because of his ties to Central Florida. He's from Daytona Beach and has a summer home in Orlando. But there are questions about his leadership abilities, something that has to worry a Magic squad already short on leadership.

Another avenue for the Magic to explore might be the trade route. Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Mike Bibby and Andre Miller are in seemingly hopeless rebuilding situations in Minnesota, Seattle, Sacramento and Philadelphia, and might be looking for a way to get to a playoff team.

An offer of Milicic, Hedo Turkoglu and a first-round draft pick might be enough to lure Garnett or Allen. Pair one of those stars with Howard, and the Magic would instantly become contenders in the Eastern Conference.

(5)Point guard or scorer? There is some division among the Magic as to whether the team needs a point guard or a scorer more. Smith, for example, is convinced that Orlando needs a scorer that it can give the ball to late in games and come through with points. Hill, meanwhile, has inferred that a pass-first point guard could do wonders for the offense, especially Howard.

There certainly are good cases for both considering that the Magic were abysmal offensively most of this past season. Orlando ranked 27th in the NBA in scoring and 29th in both assists and turnovers.

Nelson is a vital part of the core of this team, but he might be best used off the bench as a change-of-pace guard who can provide instant offense. Passing isn't his forte and it showed this season when the Magic's ball movement often ground to a halt.

Billups is the best point guard in free agency, but Detroit isn't likely to let him leave after losing Ben Wallace last summer. Denver's Steve Blake and Milwaukee's Mo Williams could be pass-first point guard targets within the Magic's reach.

I think the longer the Brian Hill situation drags out the better his chances are of returning. Nuff said. Tired of talking about it.

Don't know if anyone knew it cause I didn't but was glad to see that the Magic are going to hire a shooting coach for Dwight. Hopefully a better, more confident shooting Dwight will emerge next season.

As much as you guys know I love the sound of Vince in a Magic uniform, I must admit his leadership reputation on a team that is already lacking scares me.

Point guard or scorer? This is the subject that is causing the rift between VanderWeide, Otis and Brian Hill. I think VanderWeide is in the middle listening to both Otis and Brian Hill state their cases.

We need both area's addressed this summer. Problem is it will be very hard to do.

I think the wing scorer is priority number 1 but then we have no point guard. At least I agree with Denton that Jameer is not the guy to start and would be better served coming off the bench.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...05070318/1002/SPORTS

quote:
Five areas the Magic must address this offseason if they hope to finish next season with the optimism of a team actually contending for a championship.

(1)Decide on Brian Hill's fate quickly. If Hill is going to be fired, the Magic would be wise to move as quickly as possible. The franchise needs a coach in place before the free-agent courting process opens in July. And if the Magic are going to replace Hill with one of the top candidates (Larry Brown, Rick Carlisle or Marc Ivaroni), they had better make their move in the coming weeks.

As for Hill, there are some in the organization who still think the veteran coach can return to the Magic. Putting his future in doubt greatly undermines his authority with his players. But if Hill is willing to be more flexible with his player rotations and the style the Magic play next season, there is a belief he could keep his job.

(2)A summer of improvement from Dwight Howard. Howard's scoring average has gone up each of his three NBA seasons, but the franchise center still has a ways to go to become the Magic's go-to-scorer. He certainly proved he could dunk, leading the league in stuffs with 254 this season. But Howard has to add a jump hook and a face-up jump shot from 12 feet to counter defenders who keep him away from the rim.

Also, the Magic are in the process of hiring Howard a shooting coach in hopes of addressing his problems from the free-throw line. He dipped to 58.6 percent during the season and he was much worse (45.5 percent) in the playoffs. If Howard doesn't get this flaw fixed now, he's headed for Shaquille O'Neal depths.

Howard would be better working with a veteran big-man coach (maybe Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Pete Newell, Bob McAdoo or Clifford Ray), but instead he'll spend a large chunk of his summer playing with Team USA. So it's up to Howard to come back next season with a new wrinkle to his game.

(3)Re-sign Darko Milicic. Bringing back the 7-foot Serbian is priority No. 1 this summer for the Magic -- if they can get him at what they deem to be a logical figure. Milicic will be a restricted free agent, meaning the Magic can match any offer he receives from another team.

The Magic actually want to knock out Milicic's deal first because they won't know how many free-agent dollars they have remaining until they sign him. Expect the Magic to offer a deal at $7-8 million per season, but not necessarily at the length Milicic might want (three years instead of six).

One rub is that Milicic wants to expand his game more to the perimeter next season. Hill made him stay mostly inside this season, and by the playoffs he developed a lot of confidence -- not to mention a nifty left-handed hook -- on the low block. But he wants to expand his game to the outside where he occasionally shoots 3-pointers.

Money will be the overriding factor in Milicic's decision, but his role in the offense will also play a major part.

(4)Be aggressive in free agency or trade. The free-agent market will feature top names such as Vince Carter, Chauncey Billups, Rashard Lewis and Gerald Wallace. But those players will be extremely difficult to lure away because their teams can pay more than the Magic.

Carter seems the most logical because of his ties to Central Florida. He's from Daytona Beach and has a summer home in Orlando. But there are questions about his leadership abilities, something that has to worry a Magic squad already short on leadership.

Another avenue for the Magic to explore might be the trade route. Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Mike Bibby and Andre Miller are in seemingly hopeless rebuilding situations in Minnesota, Seattle, Sacramento and Philadelphia, and might be looking for a way to get to a playoff team.

An offer of Milicic, Hedo Turkoglu and a first-round draft pick might be enough to lure Garnett or Allen. Pair one of those stars with Howard, and the Magic would instantly become contenders in the Eastern Conference.

(5)Point guard or scorer? There is some division among the Magic as to whether the team needs a point guard or a scorer more. Smith, for example, is convinced that Orlando needs a scorer that it can give the ball to late in games and come through with points. Hill, meanwhile, has inferred that a pass-first point guard could do wonders for the offense, especially Howard.

There certainly are good cases for both considering that the Magic were abysmal offensively most of this past season. Orlando ranked 27th in the NBA in scoring and 29th in both assists and turnovers.

Nelson is a vital part of the core of this team, but he might be best used off the bench as a change-of-pace guard who can provide instant offense. Passing isn't his forte and it showed this season when the Magic's ball movement often ground to a halt.

Billups is the best point guard in free agency, but Detroit isn't likely to let him leave after losing Ben Wallace last summer. Denver's Steve Blake and Milwaukee's Mo Williams could be pass-first point guard targets within the Magic's reach.

I think the longer the Brian Hill situation drags out the better his chances are of returning. Nuff said. Tired of talking about it.

Don't know if anyone knew it cause I didn't but was glad to see that the Magic are going to hire a shooting coach for Dwight. Hopefully a better, more confident shooting Dwight will emerge next season.

As much as you guys know I love the sound of Vince in a Magic uniform, I must admit his leadership reputation on a team that is already lacking scares me.

Point guard or scorer? This is the subject that is causing the rift between VanderWeide, Otis and Brian Hill. I think VanderWeide is in the middle listening to both Otis and Brian Hill state their cases.

We need both area's addressed this summer. Problem is it will be very hard to do.

I think the wing scorer is priority number 1 but then we have no point guard. At least I agree with Denton that Jameer is not the guy to start and would be better served coming off the bench.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...05070318/1002/SPORTS

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Brian Hill will not be the head coach next year.

Don't know if anyone knew it cause I didn't but was glad to see that the Magic are going to hire a shooting coach for Dwight. Hopefully a better, more confident shooting Dwight will emerge next season. The magic are hiring a free throw shooting coach not a big man coach.

The new coach will resolve that concern.

Point guard or scorer? This is the subject that is causing the rift between VanderWeide, Otis and Brian Hill. I think VanderWeide is in the middle listening to both Otis and Brian Hill state their cases. VanderWeide has the input of Otis, Dwight, and Jameer, who's stay in orlando is predicated on a up tempo style of play. Brian Hill will be listened to then the decision will be made if we can use Brian in another capacity.

Jameer will be retained and given a chance with a up tempo offense and new coach. That seems like common sense to me. That all changes if we have a shot at Billups.

COMMENTS ABOVE IN RED.

great points and i agree with most. i believe the coach problem must be the first order of business. i am sure the assistants have worked with howard and his problems will only be resolved by him and his work on fundamentals. darko is a must. he wll be a great assest sooner than later. you could see it coming as the season ended. i do not want to see vc or another ball hog who scores but produces few wins or chemistry amoung the team. i also think a good pg would do wonders for the offense and please dont forget jj. he like darko will be a great team oriented player who will bring wins, smarts, and toughness. jacklj

Good points all around. I'd say the Magic need a good point guard more than a scorer. A good point guard turns everyone on your team into a scorer, as opposed to a great scorer who is, guess what? Just a great scorer. Who can be shut down by a good defense.

I agree with the points that jacklj made. Jameer should not be the starting PG. He should be the #1 option for the second squad. He along with Hedo can be the two the second squad depends on for offense. I think that JJ, Darko and Ariza should start with Dwight and a pass first point guard. If possible JJ could be 6th man if they get a scorer in Free Agency.

quote:
Originally posted by 30Assists:

Good points all around. I'd say the Magic need a good point guard more than a scorer. A good point guard turns everyone on your team into a scorer, as opposed to a great scorer who is, guess what? Just a great scorer. Who can be shut down by a good defense.

Agreed: See: Nowitzki, Dirk

Vince Carter does other things than shoot. He is a very good passer and frequently drives to the basket - also a good free throw shooter.

Jameer, Arroyo, and Diener could be the best point guards available if used properly. When we have discussions like this, you realize how hard Brian makes it for Otis trying to evaluate talent when the players are not used or used improperly.

quote:

and quoted by Denton:

An offer of Milicic, Hedo Turkoglu and a first-round draft pick might be enough to lure Garnett

Mighty tempting - could happen.

not happening solution. why has vc been traded. he is not the answer and the magic will not give up on darko for garnett. jacklj

quote:
Originally posted by The Solution:

quote:

and quoted by Denton:

An offer of Milicic, Hedo Turkoglu and a first-round draft pick might be enough to lure Garnett

Mighty tempting - could happen.

i would rather have allen than garnett

I agree with all of Denton's points...

Hiring a shooting coach for Dwight should not only benefit his free throw shooting but if he can develop a little 8-12 foot jump shot he will be pretty tough to stop.

No matter who the coach is I think it is pretty clear that Jameer will be coming off the bench as a change of pace.

I do not think we sign any of the big 4 in free agency unless Carter takes a pay cut. I would really be willing to trade anyone on the roster except Dwight, Trevor, or Darko for Ray Allen although it might take one of the last 2 to get a deal done.