Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

SENTINEL EXCLUSIVE: Hill 'has a shot' at keeping job, Magic want up-tempo offense

quote:

SENTINEL EXCLUSIVE

Hill 'has a shot' at keeping job; Magic's brass demands changes

Brian Schmitz | Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted May 6, 2007

Brian Hill's return as coach of the Orlando Magic could depend on how he plans to make changes and meet some "requirements" that team President Bob Vander Weide soon will propose to Hill, according to people with knowledge of the situation.

According to one of the sources who requested anonymity, Hill "has a shot" of keeping his job if his responses satisfy Vander Weide and General Manager Otis Smith, adding, "Bob has his requirements for Brian and questions he wants answered."

Another person close to the situation said, "I think that's probably accurate."

What requirements Hill might have to meet to satisfy the Magic were not known.

Vander Weide acknowledged Hill and the club had some philosophical issues to iron out.

Vander Weide had said the team's style of play "is one of the key things," wondering whether it could play more up-tempo.

There also is a question regarding Hill's use of personnel, particularly young players such as rookie J.J. Redick.

Smith said recently that Jameer Nelson likely couldn't be regarded as the Magic's point guard of the future playing in the current offensive system.

A column item in the New York Post last week said Hill's departure was imminent.

Sources told the Sentinel on Saturday that Hill was still the coach of the Magic, and that the club had not contacted any coaching candidates to replace him.

Hill had spent at least part of last week at his condo in New Smyrna Beach. "Brian's calm, pretty calm about all this," said one source who had spoken recently with Hill.

I just had an idea. Why doesn't Brian Hill agree to hire an offensive coordinator!(lol)

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-magic06...orl-sports-headlines

quote:

SENTINEL EXCLUSIVE

Hill 'has a shot' at keeping job; Magic's brass demands changes

Brian Schmitz | Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted May 6, 2007

Brian Hill's return as coach of the Orlando Magic could depend on how he plans to make changes and meet some "requirements" that team President Bob Vander Weide soon will propose to Hill, according to people with knowledge of the situation.

According to one of the sources who requested anonymity, Hill "has a shot" of keeping his job if his responses satisfy Vander Weide and General Manager Otis Smith, adding, "Bob has his requirements for Brian and questions he wants answered."

Another person close to the situation said, "I think that's probably accurate."

What requirements Hill might have to meet to satisfy the Magic were not known.

Vander Weide acknowledged Hill and the club had some philosophical issues to iron out.

Vander Weide had said the team's style of play "is one of the key things," wondering whether it could play more up-tempo.

There also is a question regarding Hill's use of personnel, particularly young players such as rookie J.J. Redick.

Smith said recently that Jameer Nelson likely couldn't be regarded as the Magic's point guard of the future playing in the current offensive system.

A column item in the New York Post last week said Hill's departure was imminent.

Sources told the Sentinel on Saturday that Hill was still the coach of the Magic, and that the club had not contacted any coaching candidates to replace him.

Hill had spent at least part of last week at his condo in New Smyrna Beach. "Brian's calm, pretty calm about all this," said one source who had spoken recently with Hill.

I just had an idea. Why doesn't Brian Hill agree to hire an offensive coordinator!(lol)

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-magic06...orl-sports-headlines

Brain Hill will never change I think it will be a huge mistake to keep him on the premise he will suddenley change his whole coaching strategy, far too much of a risk IMO.

We need a fresh start with a coach that will allow these guys to show their potential!

Much like everything else, I think this is posturing by RDV to allow BHill to bow out with grace. If there wasn't philosophical differences with management/players before, there sure are plenty right now!!!!!

We've said it time and time again, so I don't need to repeat everybody's thoughts.

To move on as a warning with all these threads that are arising and the relief highlighted by many for the hope that he will not be retained, I quietly say, don't get your hopes up.

quote:
Brain Hill will never change I think it will be a huge mistake to keep him on the premise he will suddenley change his whole coaching strategy, far too much of a risk IMO.

Exactly, making him run something that he hasn't practices at all is too much of a risk.

I'm gonna have to call my Magic Insider tommorrow and get the scoop.

Also, I got news for Otis Smith if he's banking on Jameer Nelson starting next year in an up-tempo offense. I'll just re-post my thoughts from another thread yesterday:

quote:

One more thought on this subject since every thread here is on Brian Hill and frankly I'm getting tired of talking about the guy. There's no new news to report on the subject anyway.

Obviously VanderWeide is not sure what to do with Nelson either, hence the statement he made before leaving to go back to Michigan.

Now, it is possible that VanderWeide and Otis don't agree either. I've seen some quotes from Otis in that MC article that says he thinks Jameer can flourish in an up-tempo offense. Otis specifically used an example of the Sacremento Kings and compared Jameer as a carbon copy of Mike Bibby. Here's my problem with that I'm going strictly from the memory cells in my brain so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Mike Bibby has been playing the point guard position his entire life. It's the same position his Dad played in college and the NBA. I would be willing to bet that when Jameer played in high school he was a shooting guard. I know in college at St. Joe's he played point guard his last 2 years and mostly shooting guard his first two years, taking turns with Delonte West as to who ran the point.

Mike Bibby has been a point guard his entire life. Coaches have tried to convert Jameer to the point with marginal success. He is a natural shooting or scoring guard. Mike Bibby is a good passer. I don't see Jameer as a great passer. He almost always looks right at the person whom he is going to pass the ball too. Any good point guard knows at times you have to be deceptive with your passes. I just don't see that in Jameer.

Some of my friends and I saw Jameer play in the NCAA tournament in Tampa a couple of seasons age when they played Auburn(I think). St. Joe pulled the upset. Mostly because of Jameer and mostly cause he was hitting jumpers and getting to the basket. Not because of his playmaking skills.

Is Jameer a good to great scorer? Yes. Is he the next Mike Bibby? Let's just say I have some serious doubts.

There is just so many more skills required into being a good point guard than shooting.

Let's also don't forget Bibby is at least 6-foot tall. I honestly don't think Jameer is 5'10. Maybe 5'9? I have not seen him all year long get a defensive push from the point guard postion cause he is not capable. I actually like Arroyo better in an up-tempo offense and from a defensive standpoint also.

I refer back to VanderWeide's quote in my initial post. "We have to re-think how we use a 5'10 point guard in our system". In other words, VanderWeide is not as sure as Otis is that Jameer is the point guard of the future. Just like me.

If the Magic decide to go up-tempo with Jameer running the show, I have my doubts. Off the bench as a spark? I'm much more comfortable with that.

^^^^^^ Good points Junkie, they're pretty head on.

Now, I didn't watch Meer while he was in college so I can't comment on that. However, in the NBA, it's pretty obvious he's not a true point gaurd and that's what we need IN ANY SYSTEM. When we have players like Dwight, Darko, Turk, and possibly Vince, we can't have a point gaurd who will require as many shot attempts.

As far as the Carlos statment, I think I agree with you. 'Los would be a better fit for us in an uptempo offense because he is a true point gaurd. Yes, he dribbles a too much, but he's still a better passer. If he can just get a consistent 3-point shot, I wouldn't mind having him as a starter.

And just to put this record (for Hutch), I still think Diener would be our best PG and he should start ;-) Iavaroni would love him *hint* *hint*

I have a friend who periodically gives me inside info on the Magic. I want to clarify something.

On Friday, I posted my friend had e-mailed me Brian was GONE!!!

Just now I checked my work e-mail again and there was another message from my buddy.

He said he was just joking about Brian being fired. He said he was not sure what direction the team was going as far as the coach. He said everyday his opinion changes as well as the people he works with in regards to the future employment of Brian Hill.

Marcus John Iavoroni is who we need. I think we can offer him less for a starting contract and the guy coaches with D'Antoni!!!!!!!!!

Don't keep someone who doesn't know anything about run and gun offense. We have to hire this particular fellow as the coach of the Orlando Magic.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

I have a friend who periodically gives me inside info on the Magic. I want to clarify something.

On Friday, I posted my friend had e-mailed me Brian was GONE!!!

Just now I checked my work e-mail again and there was another message from my buddy.

He said he was just joking about Brian being fired. He said he was not sure what direction the team was going as far as the coach. He said everyday his opinion changes as well as the people he works with in regards to the future employment of Brian Hill.

Not what we need to hear at this time. All this indecisiveness is killing me. Get it over already and "renounce" (lol) Brian Hill.

Bringing Hill back for next season at this point would be a DISASTER. He would be fired 30 games into next season. The time is now to get a new coach. Brian Hill is not changing his coaching ways.