Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Calling all GM's! Where is Turk headed next? Detroit? Raps? Blazers? Magic?(ESPN)

quote:

Signing with Detroit, or going to the Pistons in a sign-and-trade

Detroit has Allen Iverson ($21.9 million) and Rasheed Wallace ($13.7) coming off the cap, and would like to get as far as $23 million under the cap, which would give the Pistons the ability to acquire two high-level free agents. Impacting their financial equation will be Kwame Brown's decision this month on whether to pick up his player option of $4.1 million for next season, and Joe Dumars' efforts to move Amir Johnson's expiring $3.6 million deal without taking back an equal contract in return. If the Pistons find themselves stuck with both of those players, their best option to make a pair of impact acquisitions would probably involve moving Tayshaun Prince (owed $21.5 million over the next two seasons) as part of a sign-and-trade deal for an unrestricted free agent, whether it is Turkoglu, Carlos Boozer, Lamar Odom or someone else.

-------------------------------------------

Signing with Toronto, or going to the Raptors in a sign-and-trade

The recent Jason Kapono-Reggie Evans trade took $1.2 million off the Raptors' cap commitment for next season, and they could get roughly $10 million under the cap by shedding Patrick O'Bryant (who has only a partial guarantee). If the Pistons yearn for another free agent more than they covet Turkoglu, the Raptors become more of a factor. Toronto also still holds the NBA rights to Carlos Delfino, who could be used in a sign-and-trade.

------------------------------------------------

Signing with Portland, or going to the Trail Blazers in a sign-and-trade

Because Darius Miles went back on the Blazers' books for $9 million midway through the 2009-10 season, their cap space for the upcoming season has shrunk to somewhere around $7-9 million, depending on whether they renounce their rights to overseas players Petteri Koponen and Joel Freeland. Some sources, while cautioning against Portland's proclivity for subterfuge, are saying the Blazers covet a point guard upgrade from Steve Blake more than they covet a small forward upgrade from Nicolas Batum. If that's the case, they might decide to swing an uneven trade, salary-wise, in which they use their cap space to bring in a top-tier point guard rather than Turkoglu or another small forward.

-----------------------------------------------

Going somewhere else

Possibilities include such teams as Sacramento (where Turkoglu began his NBA career), which could acquire Turkoglu via a three-team sign-and-trade that would be brokered by Memphis or Oklahoma City, two teams with an abundance of cap space. The Grizzlies and Thunder themselves are not expected to be interested in Turkoglu, given that they have his position filled and are undertaking youth movements.

Of course as everybody knows already...and Otis reiterated in this article that the team is willing to exceed the luxury tax to resign Turk...but Otis said the price would have to be right...in other words probably nothing over 10 million per.

Anyway, as others have already posted on the Tim Povtak thread...this was an article worthy of it's own thread...I hope the mods will allow it.

I'm not great at playing GM...wanted to see from the talking heads on this board what seems like the most likely destination and or trade scenario involving the Magic's most talked about player.

There is also an update on Gortat too...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/...edofreeagency-090613

quote:

Signing with Detroit, or going to the Pistons in a sign-and-trade

Detroit has Allen Iverson ($21.9 million) and Rasheed Wallace ($13.7) coming off the cap, and would like to get as far as $23 million under the cap, which would give the Pistons the ability to acquire two high-level free agents. Impacting their financial equation will be Kwame Brown's decision this month on whether to pick up his player option of $4.1 million for next season, and Joe Dumars' efforts to move Amir Johnson's expiring $3.6 million deal without taking back an equal contract in return. If the Pistons find themselves stuck with both of those players, their best option to make a pair of impact acquisitions would probably involve moving Tayshaun Prince (owed $21.5 million over the next two seasons) as part of a sign-and-trade deal for an unrestricted free agent, whether it is Turkoglu, Carlos Boozer, Lamar Odom or someone else.

-------------------------------------------

Signing with Toronto, or going to the Raptors in a sign-and-trade

The recent Jason Kapono-Reggie Evans trade took $1.2 million off the Raptors' cap commitment for next season, and they could get roughly $10 million under the cap by shedding Patrick O'Bryant (who has only a partial guarantee). If the Pistons yearn for another free agent more than they covet Turkoglu, the Raptors become more of a factor. Toronto also still holds the NBA rights to Carlos Delfino, who could be used in a sign-and-trade.

------------------------------------------------

Signing with Portland, or going to the Trail Blazers in a sign-and-trade

Because Darius Miles went back on the Blazers' books for $9 million midway through the 2009-10 season, their cap space for the upcoming season has shrunk to somewhere around $7-9 million, depending on whether they renounce their rights to overseas players Petteri Koponen and Joel Freeland. Some sources, while cautioning against Portland's proclivity for subterfuge, are saying the Blazers covet a point guard upgrade from Steve Blake more than they covet a small forward upgrade from Nicolas Batum. If that's the case, they might decide to swing an uneven trade, salary-wise, in which they use their cap space to bring in a top-tier point guard rather than Turkoglu or another small forward.

-----------------------------------------------

Going somewhere else

Possibilities include such teams as Sacramento (where Turkoglu began his NBA career), which could acquire Turkoglu via a three-team sign-and-trade that would be brokered by Memphis or Oklahoma City, two teams with an abundance of cap space. The Grizzlies and Thunder themselves are not expected to be interested in Turkoglu, given that they have his position filled and are undertaking youth movements.

Of course as everybody knows already...and Otis reiterated in this article that the team is willing to exceed the luxury tax to resign Turk...but Otis said the price would have to be right...in other words probably nothing over 10 million per.

Anyway, as others have already posted on the Tim Povtak thread...this was an article worthy of it's own thread...I hope the mods will allow it.

I'm not great at playing GM...wanted to see from the talking heads on this board what seems like the most likely destination and or trade scenario involving the Magic's most talked about player.

There is also an update on Gortat too...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/...edofreeagency-090613

Its up in the air right now. Though, with the news of luxury tax and the climate of the economy I expect we retain Hedo at or under the figure you've highlighted.

If we are to consider a potential S&T, I've considered a few suitors that have interesting pieces, From Dallas' Brandon Bass, Milwaukee' Villanueva, NY's David Lee, Utah' Paul Millsap.

I leave my thoughts at that for now.

I think he will stay in Orlando for $9-11 milion and we will have fun watching him and discussing him, the Hedo homers and the Hedo haters.

quote:
Originally posted by iddelen:

I think he will stay in Orlando for $9-11 milion and we will have fun watching him and discussing him, the Hedo homers and the Hedo haters.

I expect Hedo to give the Magic every opportunity to keep him but will certainly look around and use other teams as leverage to get the deal he wants.

From what I understand his wife likes living in Orlando, never underestimate what the wife/girlfriend wants. Not to mention from October to May/June each year playing and traveling with team mates you enjoy spending time with.

Unless someone throws something ridiculous out in the $12-$14 mill range, I expect Hedo to be on this team next year. I can't say the same thing for Gortat though.

I fully expect Otis to resign Hedo & make every effort to retain Gortat, even with competing offers likely to be at the 5.5mil MLE level. Gortat will be given the frontcourt backup minutes behind both Shard & Dwight (20mpg, 15mpg-18mpg behind Dwight to give him some much needed rest during the long regular season and another 2-3 minutes playing beside Dwight), and Hedo will play the same role he has the last two years for this team.

Hopefully this will all be after we've acquired a late first round or early second round pick for depth. Then dependent upon if we have a young big man to groom off the bench in mop-up minutes (through the draft), Otis will attempt to land a vet PF signed to a reasonable salary for insurance purposes behind Shard, Dwight & Gortat (and if somebody like McDyess or Sheed are agreeable to a vet min run at a ring, possibly both a draft pick and a vet will come off the bench).

Then some time around the trade deadline, Otis will move a few of our expiring contracts to lessen the LT penalty the team pays.

Every time I read a Sheridan article, I wind up laughing that he gets paid to write them.

I think I saw the exact same scenarios presented on this message board twice a week for the last 3 months. And I still don't care.

Great stuff.

I guess we could do a lot worse than committing to this core for the next 5-6 years:

• Dwight Howard

• Rashard Lewis

• Jameer Nelson

• Hedo Turkoglu

• Courtney Lee

• Mickael Pietrus

• Marcin Gortat

We already know that this core is capable of getting to the Finals. With inexpensive additions here and there, vet signings and such, this core should be good enough to compete in deep playoff runs for at least that long. Otis will have to be extremely creative beyond this list of players. Making major acquisitions will be extremely difficult.

Don't forget the insane influx of cash that the DeVos family will enjoy from the new events center. That will make the luxury tax payments more palatable.

quote:
    Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

Every time I read a Sheridan article, I wind up laughing that he gets paid to write them.

I think I saw the exact same scenarios presented on this message board twice a week for the last 3 months. And I still don't care.

And nobody cares about you...

quote:
    Originally posted by jackie69:

quote:

Everybody play nice.

quote:

quote:

Fair enough, but you seem to not understand something:

This: "..." is an ellipsis. An ellipsis, like most forms of punctuation, has an actual meaning. It is used to indicate omission, usually because what is being omitted is already understood or previously stated. It does not imply tone or cuteness or whatever it was you were trying to get across.

quote:

quote: