Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Is it time to change the "whole" backcourt? Including Rafer(Daily Dime)

quote:
Originally posted by VaBchMagicFan:

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by MagicAtic:

Right, and if the Celtics lose tomorrow night, they need to rebuild their entire team.

IMO...

We have filled our hole at SG with Lee/JJ/Pietrus

The only glaring hole we have is at PF. I believe that Gortat can fill that spot nicely and we should go after a real backup center that plays 5 mpg.

A frontline rotation of HowardGortatMcDyess would be very nice. Howard goes out, Gortat moves to the 5, McDyess the 4. McDyess = instant mental toughness.

Lewis should be moved to the 3 and Hedo, if resigned, should win the 6th man award coming off the bench.

It's going to take $7 mill per year to resign Gortat.

7 mil a year? Is that a joke? He will get no more than 4 and if anyone gives him more they are stupid. But this team can't even afford to give him 4 and we shouldn't. Gortat is not a PF look around the league teams play small ball and Gortat can't guard most PF. He is a BACKUP to our franchise player. He will never get minutes and although he may be a good player it doesn't matter because he is not anywhere near Dwight's talent.

I'm sorry for the Gortat fanboys but he is gone unless he is satisfied with 10 minutes a game. So in other words he is gone. Rasheed Wallace won't get 7 mil and he is a much better player than Gortat.

While your correct that Gortat won't get 7 mil, you are offbase that he isn't worth it. He will be a double-double average player who provides terrific interior defense and will have a developed mid range game as well as an already pretty effective post game. Oh yeah and he is 25 years old. And, uhm, he is a center. A lot of teams are a center away from being good.

If he is a starter he will probably average a double double or slightly under. He probably won't be a starter right away though. I love this effective post game and midrange jumper. Are you a scout or a coach? Because as a fan you nor I can say anything about being effective because he hasn't had shots to show he is effective at anything. He averages 4 and 4 in 13 minutes a game. He has made 50 something baskets all year how do you know what he is effective at. If he had a good midrange game he would play instead of Battie. He does not because he cannot space the floor because he does not have a mid range game.

Wait so are you telling me that a 10+ rebound a game center with above average atheleticism and defensive abilities isn't going to normally make more than the MLE because if that is the case everything else you wrote isn't worth reading because you aren't thinking clearly

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Right, and if the Celtics lose tomorrow night, they need to rebuild their entire team.

IMO...

The only glaring hole we have is at PF. I believe that Gortat can fill that spot nicely and we should go after a real backup center that plays 5 mpg.

A frontline rotation of HowardGortatMcDyess would be very nice. Howard goes out, Gortat moves to the 5, McDyess the 4. McDyess = instant mental toughness.

Lewis should be moved to the 3 and Hedo, if resigned, should win the 6th man award coming off the bench.

7 mil a year? Is that a joke? He will get no more than 4 and if anyone gives him more they are stupid. But this team can't even afford to give him 4 and we shouldn't. Gortat is not a PF look around the league teams play small ball and Gortat can't guard most PF. He is a BACKUP to our franchise player. He will never get minutes and although he may be a good player it doesn't matter because he is not anywhere near Dwight's talent.

I'm sorry for the Gortat fanboys but he is gone unless he is satisfied with 10 minutes a game. So in other words he is gone. Rasheed Wallace won't get 7 mil and he is a much better player than Gortat.

While your correct that Gortat won't get 7 mil, you are offbase that he isn't worth it. He will be a double-double average player who provides terrific interior defense and will have a developed mid range game as well as an already pretty effective post game. Oh yeah and he is 25 years old. And, uhm, he is a center. A lot of teams are a center away from being good.

If he is a starter he will probably average a double double or slightly under. He probably won't be a starter right away though. I love this effective post game and midrange jumper. Are you a scout or a coach? Because as a fan you nor I can say anything about being effective because he hasn't had shots to show he is effective at anything. He averages 4 and 4 in 13 minutes a game. He has made 50 something baskets all year how do you know what he is effective at. If he had a good midrange game he would play instead of Battie. He does not because he cannot space the floor because he does not have a mid range game.

Wait so are you telling me that a 10+ rebound a game center with above average atheleticism and defensive abilities isn't going to normally make more than the MLE because if that is the case everything else you wrote isn't worth reading because you aren't thinking clearly

In this economy and the fact he is unproven offensively, yes. He will also probably not be a starter. Say what you want but you will realize when he gets his contract.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

IMO...

In this economy and the fact he is unproven offensively, yes. He will also probably not be a starter. Say what you want but you will realize when he gets his contract.

I already said he won't get paid that kind of money because of the economy. I am just saying that given the circumstances (playing behind the best center in the league for two seasons, 10+ rebounds a game, good interior defense, 25 years old) that he would be getting paid in a more normal NBA offseason and that any team who signed him to a 5 year 35 million dollar deal would not be regretting it 3 years down the road.

Gortat'll get offered 4-5 by someone. Darko went to Memphis for 7 million, and he had FAR more steady minutes for the Magic than Gortat has had.

We can afford Gortat, but something would have to happen first. Letting Hedo go for peanuts (or draft pick(s)) in return, trading Battie and his expiring contract, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

Gortat'll get offered 4-5 by someone. Darko went to Memphis for 7 million, and he had FAR more steady minutes for the Magic than Gortat has had.

We can afford Gortat, but something would have to happen first. Letting Hedo go for peanuts (or draft pick(s)) in return, trading Battie and his expiring contract, etc.

Gortat'll is not a proper contraction. Your last sentence is a fragment.

quote:
Originally posted by no_ma'am:

quote:

Gortat'll is not a proper contraction. Your last sentence is a fragment.

Dude...... Yer shameless...............

quote:

Gorty'll (my fragmented sentence, Maam)get at least 5 to 7 in the offseason. Good young bigs are hard to find and Gorty scores and rebounds much better than Darko ever did. I see him easily as a good 13-11-2 guy in this league. He starts for half of the teams in my honest opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by Dirtdan:

quote:

Gorty'll (my fragmented sentence, Maam)get at least 5 to 7 in the offseason. Good young bigs are hard to find and Gorty scores and rebounds much better than Darko ever did. I see him easily as a good 13-11-2 guy in this league. He starts for half of the teams in my honest opinion.

If we were in 2006 I would agree. Teams are not going to spend that money this year on an unproven foreign player. The problem with Gortat is he does not have a lot of upside. What you see is what you get. Unfortunately no one has really seen him on a cosistent basis.

I usually don't debate any issues concerning JJ but I have to this time. People have a short memory. We would not be having this discussion if JJ and Gortat hadn't stepped up in Game 6 against the 76ers. The Magic would be playing golf and these boards would be empty. I'm saying if the Magic didn't win game 6, they would not have recovered to win game 7. And I'm also saying that if not for JJ, Courtney's injury would have been much more devastating to the team and the Magic wouldn't be 2 and 2 with the Celtics. JJ's done his part to keep the Magic in the running by keeping Ray Allen in check. What more do you want? If Ray Allen goes of for 51 points, then JJ would really be the scapegoat but as far I can tell Allen is far from 51 in any games with the Magic. JJ must be doing something right.

Courtney has had his share of low scoring nights and is praised for this defense. So what's make him different from JJ? Start JJ, don't start JJ. Doesn't matter as long as the Magic come home with a win.

quote:
Originally posted by bravlady:

I usually don't debate any issues concerning JJ but I have to this time. People have a short memory. We would not be having this discussion if JJ and Gortat hadn't stepped up in Game 6 against the 76ers. The Magic would be playing golf and these boards would be empty. I'm saying if the Magic didn't win game 6, they would not have recovered to win game 7. And I'm also saying that if not for JJ, Courtney's injury would have been much more devastating to the team and the Magic wouldn't be 2 and 2 with the Celtics. JJ's done his part to keep the Magic in the running by keeping Ray Allen in check. What more do you want? If Ray Allen goes of for 51 points, then JJ would really be the scapegoat but as far I can tell Allen is far from 51 in any games with the Magic. JJ must be doing something right.

Courtney has had his share of low scoring nights and is praised for this defense. So what's make him different from JJ? Start JJ, don't start JJ. Doesn't matter as long as the Magic come home with a win.

It's mostly bj dumping on Redick because he didn't shoot the lights out and yes his 7 assists in the game apparently count for nothing in bj's eyes.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:

Orlando can't pay Gortat $7 mill next year.

I agree... but if you look at what all the other mediocre big men are making, that is Gortat's market value.

Last year's market maybe this year's market no way.

quote:
Originally posted by Lawyers,Guns.and Money:

Stan will start Rafer and Courtney, and we will win game five, because that combination is what made us dominate the conference after Jameer went down. Now is not the time to reinvent the wheel. JJ absolutely deserves more minutes, and Hedo deserves less minutes. Other than that, we should stay pat with what brought us to this level.

So you are saying that Redick does start and Gortat gets good minutes as well, because without the two of them Philly wins and the Magic would be out of the playoffs.