Sign in to follow this  
PEC

HoopsWorld's Answer for the Magic to Beat Philly

quote:
Originally posted by OnlyIntelPosts:

As DoM pointed out, the 76ers are not doubling Dwight, which has played out to be a extremely good strategy, the only reason being that Philly's forwards are propably the most athletic starters in the league. I think this series is tough because of that, but if and hopefully we do get to the second round, anyone who tries this strategy will get blown out, for the simple fact that our forwards, are probably the best combo in the league because of the mismatches they create.

When we move on, and we play Boston/Chicago, they are gonna go back to doubling Dwight, if they don't it's a loss, and when they do, everyone else will open up and our forwards will produce like they had been the whole season.

The only reason this series is tough, is because Philly matches up so great with us. Miller destroys the PG position, Young and AI are too atheltic for us. The only advantage we have is the SG and C positions, and we need to use that advantage.

I like what I saw in Game 4, in terms of giving Hedo more of a scoring role rather than "create for others" which was not working. As you guys prolly saw, CLee was running a number of pick and rolls getting our forwards open, hopefully we'll see that more.

Actually Boston does not double Dwight, maybe they will with KG hurt but I doubt it. Perkins actually plays Dwight better than anyone in the league other than Yao. I gurantee you this with the success teams have with not doubling Dwight very few teams will for now on. It is not a fluke that we lost both games he scored 30 we are a better team when 4 guys don't watch 1 which is what happens when you have 4 jump shooters who don't like to take the ball to the basket, sometimes Lee does, or put the ball on the floor, and when they do turn they ball over alot. Dwight is not good enough in the post to command a double he can get 30 when he is shooting well but when he isn't even in single coverage he will not kill you.

quote:
Originally posted by VaBchMagicFan:

quote:

As DoM pointed out, the 76ers are not doubling Dwight, which has played out to be a extremely good strategy, the only reason being that Philly's forwards are propably the most athletic starters in the league. I think this series is tough because of that, but if and hopefully we do get to the second round, anyone who tries this strategy will get blown out, for the simple fact that our forwards, are probably the best combo in the league because of the mismatches they create.

When we move on, and we play Boston/Chicago, they are gonna go back to doubling Dwight, if they don't it's a loss, and when they do, everyone else will open up and our forwards will produce like they had been the whole season.

The only reason this series is tough, is because Philly matches up so great with us. Miller destroys the PG position, Young and AI are too atheltic for us. The only advantage we have is the SG and C positions, and we need to use that advantage.

I like what I saw in Game 4, in terms of giving Hedo more of a scoring role rather than "create for others" which was not working. As you guys prolly saw, CLee was running a number of pick and rolls getting our forwards open, hopefully we'll see that more.

Actually Boston does not double Dwight, maybe they will with KG hurt but I doubt it. Perkins actually plays Dwight better than anyone in the league other than Yao. I gurantee you this with the success teams have with not doubling Dwight very few teams will for now on. It is not a fluke that we lost both games he scored 30 we are a better team when 4 guys don't watch 1 which is what happens when you have 4 jump shooters who don't like to take the ball to the basket, sometimes Lee does, or put the ball on the floor, and when they do turn they ball over alot. Dwight is not good enough in the post to command a double he can get 30 when he is shooting well but when he isn't even in single coverage he will not kill you.

In general I agree with you, but if you single cover Dwight, you can be assured that your best 2 bigs will likely be in foul trouble throughout the game. That is the problem with trying to single cover him. If you are deep at that position (or, in the case of the Sixers, there is not much difference between the 1st, 2nd and 3rd stringers), then single coverage is a good philosophy.

Perkins and Davis both defend Dwight well, but with the lack of depth now with their bigs, they may be a tad more reluctant to single cover and to risk getting these guys in foul trouble.

Should be interesting. At least one thing we know that works in our favor. Doc will probably make the wrong decision.

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

If JJ could still shoot, I'd play him. He played harder in his five minutes than anyone else on the floor. That's always an asset in the playoffs, however, he just can't make open shots. If he was shooting around 45% from three like I thought he would once he got significant minutes, he'd be a huge weapon on offense.

As far as offensive strategy, I

A thread being started with the title of "HoopsWorld" by a poster who usually refers to that site as "PoopsWorld".

Not only the site but I think PEC usually refers to Steve Kyler as the biggest farce on the planet.

Just wondering what gives, PEC???

As as far as Kyler's comments go...I gotta give that guy a call...I mean, I love his rumor mill stuff but...some of these suggestions are wack.

Stick to the rumor stuff, Steve...

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

quote:
Originally posted by VaBchMagicFan:

quote:

In general I agree with you, but if you single cover Dwight, you can be assured that your best 2 bigs will likely be in foul trouble throughout the game. That is the problem with trying to single cover him. If you are deep at that position (or, in the case of the Sixers, there is not much difference between the 1st, 2nd and 3rd stringers), then single coverage is a good philosophy.

Perkins and Davis both defend Dwight well, but with the lack of depth now with their bigs, they may be a tad more reluctant to single cover and to risk getting these guys in foul trouble.

Should be interesting. At least one thing we know that works in our favor. Doc will probably make the wrong decision.

Interesting, 'cause I'm starting to get the idea that the Celtics have an unlimited supply of big guys. Do they build them?

They lose KG and Powe and Perkins steps up along with the Big Fat Baby (with a jumper) big time. Losing their front court depth may be key for the Magic in the second round. Stan should take notes.

quote:
Originally posted by Freex:

PD I would totally love to have a guy like Zaza Pachulia in my team. Watching the Heat/Hawks game last night, the guy is pure energy and hustling on the court. 18 rebounds from the backup center. He made the game entertaining lol.

Pachulia played hard and well, but to be fair, he got the benefit of some very generous scorekeeping. Several of his rebounds were essentially Zaza going up for the rebound, having it deflect off his hands to one of his teammates in a scenario where he clearly wasn't just trying to tip it out. He just didn't catch it. Oh well.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

A thread being started with the title of "HoopsWorld" by a poster who usually refers to that site as "PoopsWorld".

Not only the site but I think PEC usually refers to Steve Kyler as the biggest farce on the planet.

Just wondering what gives, PEC???

As as far as Kyler's comments go...I gotta give that guy a call...I mean, I love his rumor mill stuff but...some of these suggestions are wack.

Stick to the rumor stuff, Steve...

I just put it out there and yes it's a site I tell everyone to hold their breath. Forgot to do that this time, but you did it for me.

Plus other then this response to your silly post I won't be responding to anything else here since it doesn't warrant it.

There's a way to beat phily, i know they are not to use to play zone defense, but a team without great 3 point shooters, you play a 3-2 zone defense and you control the paint. If you watch international play, like when P.R. beat U.S.A, on that U.S.A team they lacked good 3 point shooters, plus they werent making the shots. Thats why P.R. with that zone defense controled the paint and was able to beat them. the magic are now in the same situation, but i know we can beat phily if we play that type of defense. any opinions?

quote:
Originally posted by 6ersRule!:

beat philly? lulz

My guess: This is Jec

Why? Unmistakable ms paint skills.

2nd Guess: Jareth

Why? He's insane

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

quote:
Originally posted by 6ersRule!:

beat philly? lulz