Sign in to follow this  
MagicDOLPHIN

Now its set Magic vs. 76ers round one

I have to preface this by stating I am a true blue Magic fan. I love this team and I have loved the Magic since the gritty and gutsy Scotty Skiles wore pinstripes. I truly hope that this is the year we return to the NBA Finals.

That said, the myopic overconfidence of some of you Magic fans leaves me befuddled. There is no team in the Eastern Conference that doesn't want to play us in the first round...and you all know why: inconsistency. Yep, Avery Johnson saw what the rest of the league saw this season. You never know which Magic team is going to show up.

IF we play focused and smart basketball and we move the ball around, we SHOULD win. IF Dwight can keep his cool and avoid complaining to the refs excessively, we SHOULD win. We are a better and deeper squad than the Sixers and there is no way they SHOULD beat us...but haven't you guys seen enough of our team this season to know that it's at least a distinct possibility that we come out flat in one of the first two games and let Philly steal one on our home court?

I hope I'm wrong, I truly do. I hope beyond all hope that SVG has these guys ready to dominate through all 4 rounds of the Playoffs. However, tempering this hope is the fear that we'll see the team that lost to the Knicks, Grizzlies, Hawks, or Rockets this season. Beware of ****iness, my friends, it has a way of coming back to bite you in the butt.

quote:
Originally posted by Catman Forever:

I have to preface this by stating I am a true blue Magic fan. I love this team and I have loved the Magic since the gritty and gutsy Scotty Skiles wore pinstripes. I truly hope that this is the year we return to the NBA Finals.

That said, the myopic overconfidence of some of you Magic fans leaves me befuddled. There is no team in the Eastern Conference that doesn't want to play us in the first round...and you all know why: inconsistency. Yep, Avery Johnson saw what the rest of the league saw this season. You never know which Magic team is going to show up.

IF we play focused and smart basketball and we move the ball around, we SHOULD win. IF Dwight can keep his cool and avoid complaining to the refs excessively, we SHOULD win. We are a better and deeper squad than the Sixers and there is no way they SHOULD beat us...but haven't you guys seen enough of our team this season to know that it's at least a distinct possibility that we come out flat in one of the first two games and let Philly steal one on our home court?

I hope I'm wrong, I truly do. I hope beyond all hope that SVG has these guys ready to dominate through all 4 rounds of the Playoffs. However, tempering this hope is the fear that we'll see the team that lost to the Knicks, Grizzlies, Hawks, or Rockets this season. Beware of ****iness, my friends, it has a way of coming back to bite you in the butt.

disney-chicken-little-sky-falling.jpg

quote:

Didn't know Smack ran two screen names. Geez, why don't you just convert to a Heat fan while you're at it?

The game goes more half court in the playoffs and Philly's strength is running. They will defend and put up a good fight but they don't shoot well. The strength of our defense is protecting the paint, we give up jumpers. I would say we take this in 5 or 6 games.

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

Poor Meer. He would love to suit up for this series, no doubt.

Yeah I hadn't even thought of this. Poor guy

quote:

We were by a HUGE margin the most consistent team in the NBA this season. Focus isn't a problem in the playoffs for Dwight and neither is this sorry team that only made the playoffs because of a rather favorable geographical location.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

The game goes more half court in the playoffs and Philly's strength is running. They will defend and put up a good fight but they don't shoot well. The strength of our defense is protecting the paint, we give up jumpers. I would say we take this in 5 or 6 games.

I agree with this. Any playoff series will slow down no matter who is playing and I don't see Philly handling that. They certainly will put up a fight and defend, but even in close games I see us pulling it out every time. Our defense is good enough to keep Philly relying on tough shots and they have practically nobody who can consistently make a basket outside of 15-17 feet.

Which is why I was a little worried about Chicago, even though I thought we'd win that series too. Chicago can get hot. Philly can't.

Our biggest worry against Philly is turnovers. If we don't protect the ball, Philly was built to capitalize. As long as we do, and manage to do so for each game, I say sweep or 5 games.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

Phily is worst 3-pt. shooting team in league, horrible in half court, & 1 of the worst FT shooting teams.

So, how do they keep up, and make up points?

As long as Shard & Hedo aren't MIA, this is a cake walk!

Agree. This should be a sweep. If it goes more than 5, it's an epic fail.

Orlando Magic vs. Philadelphia 76ers First Round Playoff Schedule

Orlando vs. Philadelphia

Game 1 - Sun April 19 Philadelphia at Orlando 5:30PM TNT

Game 2 - Wed April 22 Philadelphia at Orlando 7:00PM NBATV

Game 3 - Fri April 24 Orlando at Philadelphia 8:00PM ESPN2

Game 4 - Sun April 26 Orlando at Philadelphia 6:30PM TNT

Game 5 * Tue April 28 Philadelphia at Orlando TBD TBD

Game 6 * Thu April 30 Orlando at Philadelphia TBD TBD

Game 7 * Sat May 2 Philadelphia at Orlando TBD TNT

NBA 1st Rd Playoff Schedula

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

THE 76ERS HAVE MOMENTUM COMING INTO THIS SERIES. WE ARE DOOMED. ANDRE MILLER IS JUST LIKE BILLUPS AND MARREESE SPEIGHTS IS LIKE SHEED.

WE LOSE IN 7

Do you guys really lack the ability to process an honest assessment? Does everything around here always need to be, "THE MAGIC ARE THE BESTEST OF THE BESTEST OF THE BEST EVER"?

I never said the Bulls would beat us. I said I was concerned that a team as massively inadequate in comparison to us would push us to 6 games based upon our poor play of late, which they shouldn't be able to do, making it feel like a loss (in my not so humble opinion).

Is it really that unbelievable, that unconceivable, that a playoff team that had benefited greatly from a trade deadline overhaul of their roster, would push us hard in a playoff series?

Point is moot now that we are playing the Sixers. But my opinion stil stands on our team. We're just not seasoned, experienced, and resilient enough to play uninspired basketball for two weeks leading up to the playoffs, expecting fully to flip the switch and play dominant basketball because the date on the calendar changes.