Sign in to follow this  
j hubb #12

does anybody deserve to have jersey retired from orlando magic

I would have no problem if Nick's number is not retired. However, I do believe that he is deserving of the honor because of his importance in our relatively young history. I would say that he is most definitely the ONLY player that deserves this honor. Any other players who had greater or similar impact as Nick for this franchise departed in an atmosphere of discord. Nick has come back and made himself a part of this organization again.

If his jersey has not been retired because the Magic don't feel he deserves it, then it is because their sentiments are in line with DOM's.

However, if they are planning on retiring his jersey, then my guess is that they are waiting to do it in the new arena, and will make it part of the celebrations that will no doubt open the new place.

I agree with LOD... Nick anderson Was our first draft pick and was a pretty good ballplayer... his stats arent the greatest when compared overall, but as LOD said his status as the first pick and his long tenure with us before moving on, has pretty made much made him our only Orlando magic all time great.

Sure shaq brought us hype for 4 years penny brought addistional hype for 4-5 years, but none of them spent enough time with us to even be considered for a jersey retirement.

If anyone Nick... no one else...

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Rule:

I agree with LOD... Nick anderson Was our first draft pick and was a pretty good ballplayer... his stats arent the greatest when compared overall, but as LOD said his status as the first pick and his long tenure with us before moving on, has pretty made much made him our only Orlando magic all time great.

Sure shaq brought us hype for 4 years penny brought addistional hype for 4-5 years, but none of them spent enough time with us to even be considered for a jersey retirement.

If anyone Nick... no one else...

Stats don't really make a player undeserving for retiring his number only if they aren't less or equal to mediocre. Nick Anderson is deserving of this because he not only put up good points. We know who decides these things though.

the heat have retired the numbers of dan marino and michael jordan, for whatever reason, if they can do that we can retire the number of anyone, i vote for john koncack.

quote:
Originally posted by cunningstunt:

the heat have retired the numbers of dan marino and michael jordan, for whatever reason, if they can do that we can retire the number of anyone, i vote for john koncack.

let's throw everyone off and retire brian griese's number. No one would see it coming.

Sadly, I'll vote NO on this one.

To retire someone's jersey, a requirement should be that he was the primary cog on a team that had significant success. Only 1 time did that happen in our history, and he was anywhere from the 3rd to 5th best player on that team. The only time when you might argue he was ever the best player on the team was in its worst years, and even then there would be some discussion (Skiles, for example).

Nick should be honored in many ways by this organization, but having his number retired is not one of them.

I wish the Magic would take down the #6 jersey, too. That is simply embarrassing. Not as embarrassing as the Heat's Jordan jersey, but very, very close.