Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Will Magic Lose Gortat?(Bill Ingram interview)

quote:

"My game is definitely better than it was last year," Gortat tells HOOPSWORLD. "Finally I've improved enough to get into the rotation and I proved that I can help the team coming off the bench. Obviously it's not big minutes, 10-15 minutes playing time, but I'm trying to help as much as I can and be the most productive. I just have to do what I've been doing for the last seven years, which is work hard and be ready for every opportunity."

"Marcin's had a very, very good year," agrees Magic head coach Stan Van Gundy. "There's been some ups and downs, but for the most part he's been very consistent and very, very good - particularly on the defensive end and on the boards. He scores on pick-and-rolls, very active, very energetic, just what we need coming off the bench every night."

"Dwight's definitely the best center in the NBA and I believe I can cover his weaknesses," says Gortat. "Having two big guys who can run the floor, blocks shots, two big bodies under the basket, is going to create a lot of problems for the other teams. Obviously, I have to improve my game a little bit more, but I'm definitely ready to play and I can put a lot of energy in the game, play defense on the best players, and try to keep Dwight away from foul trouble. That's stuff I've been doing throughout my career, so I'm not really doing this stuff for the first time."

While other NBA teams have to be a legit concern for Otis Smith and his staff, Gortat has no intention of returning to Europe. "Europe is always going to be open for me, it's not going anywhere. My dream is to play in the NBA and stay in the NBA. I'm going to work as hard as possible and we'll see. Two or three months and you'll know the answer. I would like to stay. I love the organization; I love the Orlando Magic. My first steps in the NBA were in Orlando and I love the city, the fans, I live in a great place, we have a great coaching staff, great teammates, so it's up to the GM."

More quotes in the article...Read on:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=12014

quote:

"My game is definitely better than it was last year," Gortat tells HOOPSWORLD. "Finally I've improved enough to get into the rotation and I proved that I can help the team coming off the bench. Obviously it's not big minutes, 10-15 minutes playing time, but I'm trying to help as much as I can and be the most productive. I just have to do what I've been doing for the last seven years, which is work hard and be ready for every opportunity."

"Marcin's had a very, very good year," agrees Magic head coach Stan Van Gundy. "There's been some ups and downs, but for the most part he's been very consistent and very, very good - particularly on the defensive end and on the boards. He scores on pick-and-rolls, very active, very energetic, just what we need coming off the bench every night."

"Dwight's definitely the best center in the NBA and I believe I can cover his weaknesses," says Gortat. "Having two big guys who can run the floor, blocks shots, two big bodies under the basket, is going to create a lot of problems for the other teams. Obviously, I have to improve my game a little bit more, but I'm definitely ready to play and I can put a lot of energy in the game, play defense on the best players, and try to keep Dwight away from foul trouble. That's stuff I've been doing throughout my career, so I'm not really doing this stuff for the first time."

While other NBA teams have to be a legit concern for Otis Smith and his staff, Gortat has no intention of returning to Europe. "Europe is always going to be open for me, it's not going anywhere. My dream is to play in the NBA and stay in the NBA. I'm going to work as hard as possible and we'll see. Two or three months and you'll know the answer. I would like to stay. I love the organization; I love the Orlando Magic. My first steps in the NBA were in Orlando and I love the city, the fans, I live in a great place, we have a great coaching staff, great teammates, so it's up to the GM."

More quotes in the article...Read on:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=12014

I really hope we can keep Gortat. If he can develop a 12ft jumper I think he can start at the 4 against most teams.

That being said if we do lose him it better be in a S&T. He is to rare a commodity to let go for nothing.

Resign him. I think that this is one of the few matters in which almost all the members of the forum agree.

Another interesting quote from the article, coming from a guy that had lost playing time in spite of Marcin:

quote:
"Marcin's playing extremely well," says Magic big man Tony Battie. "He's done a great job of raising his level of play, especially from last year to this year. He's playing some big time minutes now and the sky's the limit for him. He's learning from one of the best centers in the league, that being Dwight, and he's soaking everything up like a sponge."

Otis shouldn't be hesitant to offer Gortat somewhere between 3 and 5 million a year.. then either trade Battie and his expiring contract, or let him expire in the Summer of 2010.

Then basically that five million in cap money that Battie's been using, gets used by Gortat for the next few-to-several years. Upgrade, anyone?

If its me, you lock up Gortat before you deal with Hedo. I believe hes that important to a rotation that lacks quality bigs outside of Dwight.

gortat is praised a little too highly on these boards.

i'd give him 3-3.5 mil per year. If he wants 5 mil, i'd let him go.

However, this conversation does bring up the good point that with the new coach, it seems like we can finally develop talent (lee, gortat).

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

Otis shouldn't be hesitant to offer Gortat somewhere between 3 and 5 million a year.. then either trade Battie and his expiring contract, or let him expire in the Summer of 2010.

Then basically that five million in cap money that Battie's been using, gets used by Gortat for the next few-to-several years. Upgrade, anyone?

Question there are certain rules in the CBA dealing with salary do those affect Gortat.

Lets put it this way he is earning around 700 thousand dollars does that allow him to jump to 3-4 million or is there a set range that the team must follow. Just wondering????

imo the Magic should pay him 2.5 million starting them progress up in new contract if that is allowed in the CBA.

quote:
Originally posted by PEC:

quote:

Question there are certain rules in the CBA dealing with salary do those affect Gortat.

Lets put it this way he is earning around 700 thousand dollars does that allow him to jump to 3-4 million or is there a set range that the team must follow. Just wondering????

imo the Magic should pay him 2.5 million starting them progress up in new contract if that is allowed in the CBA.

i don't believe there are any restrictions that would apply in this case because gortat is a 2nd rounder.

i think the largest contract that can be offered to him if 5yrs/80 mil (the one dwight is currently on)...but obviously that won't be happening.

quote:
Originally posted by no_ma'am:

quote:
Originally posted by PEC:

quote:

i don't believe there are any restrictions that would apply in this case because gortat is a 2nd rounder.

i think the largest contract that can be offered to him if 5yrs/80 mil (the one dwight is currently on)...but obviously that won't be happening.

I don't believe the Magic have Bird's rights on Gortat yet & are therefore unable to pay him more than the MLE. Which is why Utah & Washington were able to steal Boozer & Arenas away from Cleveland & Golden State.