Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

John Denton's(magic beatwriter) suggested coaching adjustments to beat the Pistons

quote:
Three keys for Magic

Here are three ways the Magic can get back in their first-round series against the Detroit Pistons:

1. Lineup changes. Desperate times call for drastic measures. Move Grant Hill to point guard, insert Trevor Ariza at a wing and start Darko Milicic. It would give the Magic five players 6-foot-8 or taller to disrupt Detroit's offense.

2. Run more. GM Otis Smith said that from his view the Magic are playing right into the hands of the Pistons when they walk the ball up court. Detroit is deadly in half-court sets, but somewhat vulnerable against athletic, fast-breaking teams. Also, Smith would like to see the Magic disrupt Chauncey Billups more to keep Detroit from comfortably setting up its offense.

3. Play J.J. Redick. The rookie has yet to see any time in the first two games largely because the Magic worry about his defensive deficiencies. But by putting him on the floor opposite of Hedo Turkoglu, it would space the floor better for Dwight Howard to operate inside.

_ John Denton, FLORIDA TODAY

The 1st adjustment I really like! I was disappointed on Monday when Brian didn't try Dooling and Grant in the backcourt. We have to do something to disrupt them. They are "way" to comfortable. Not bad though, Grant at point, Trevor at the 2 guard, Hedo at the 3, Darko at the 4 and Dwight. How would our bench look then?

Who doesn't want to see adjustment number two?(sarcasm) At times this year we have run. But not enough.

I'm sure a lot of people will get excited about the third suggestion and playing Redick! Honestly, as I'm sitting here visualizing that it looks awesome. Your always gonna worry about your defense with Redick but with Grant at the point and or Dooling you could definitely get away with it. The spacing thing is what gets me excited. With Turk playing the way he is and Redick's deadly shot it would have to give our big guys more room.

Come on Brian Hill! Please try something different? Give us Magic fans just a glimmer of something to build on for next year.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...04250368/1002/SPORTS

quote:
Three keys for Magic

Here are three ways the Magic can get back in their first-round series against the Detroit Pistons:

1. Lineup changes. Desperate times call for drastic measures. Move Grant Hill to point guard, insert Trevor Ariza at a wing and start Darko Milicic. It would give the Magic five players 6-foot-8 or taller to disrupt Detroit's offense.

2. Run more. GM Otis Smith said that from his view the Magic are playing right into the hands of the Pistons when they walk the ball up court. Detroit is deadly in half-court sets, but somewhat vulnerable against athletic, fast-breaking teams. Also, Smith would like to see the Magic disrupt Chauncey Billups more to keep Detroit from comfortably setting up its offense.

3. Play J.J. Redick. The rookie has yet to see any time in the first two games largely because the Magic worry about his defensive deficiencies. But by putting him on the floor opposite of Hedo Turkoglu, it would space the floor better for Dwight Howard to operate inside.

_ John Denton, FLORIDA TODAY

The 1st adjustment I really like! I was disappointed on Monday when Brian didn't try Dooling and Grant in the backcourt. We have to do something to disrupt them. They are "way" to comfortable. Not bad though, Grant at point, Trevor at the 2 guard, Hedo at the 3, Darko at the 4 and Dwight. How would our bench look then?

Who doesn't want to see adjustment number two?(sarcasm) At times this year we have run. But not enough.

I'm sure a lot of people will get excited about the third suggestion and playing Redick! Honestly, as I'm sitting here visualizing that it looks awesome. Your always gonna worry about your defense with Redick but with Grant at the point and or Dooling you could definitely get away with it. The spacing thing is what gets me excited. With Turk playing the way he is and Redick's deadly shot it would have to give our big guys more room.

Come on Brian Hill! Please try something different? Give us Magic fans just a glimmer of something to build on for next year.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...04250368/1002/SPORTS

Brian Hill has already stated he won't play JJ in the playoffs. I'll be shocked if he changes his mind.

He'll start the same 5 guys he's been starting all year. He'll toss in Darko, Dooling and a little Ariza here and there just because he's feeling "wild & crazy" and then after half-time, the same exact 5 starters will be back on the floor regardless of the score.

man, that's just perfect against the pistons. grant at the PG against chauncey, billups isn't a speed monster, grant could stop him.

ariza on the SG against rip, i don't see any big problems here, travis is 6-7 like rip, more athletic,... would be a great matchup

turk against prince... ok, turk isn't a defensive monster, but tay isn't a guy who'll score 30 points

darko and dwight - don't need to tell you that...

bench: reddick, dooling, carlos, jameer, battie,...

but our coach is a moron

Brian is far beyond a coach right now. He gets exploited in the playoffs. His inability to make adjustments have proved what I've been saying all along, he is not the coach that will bring us anywhere, but the right coach for a young team.

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

Brian is far beyond a coach right now. He gets exploited in the playoffs. His inability to make adjustments have proved what I've been saying all along, he is not the coach that will bring us anywhere, but the right coach for a young team.

How can he be "the right coach for a young team" when he's not developing his young players? Let's look at it:

Jameer has clearly gotten much worse this season.

Howard is not developing offensively the way many people expected. Hill fired Clifford Ray.

Darko no longer has confidence in his outside shot and his game has been overall stunted by Hill.

Reddick has zero minutes so far in the playoffs. Way to build for the future there!!

Even Ariza, one of the few young players Hill seems to like, isn't seeing much action in the playoffs.

Let's not even talk about Diener.

Brian Hill is a disaster for the Magic, destroying whatever potential they had to be a good team this season.

Brian Hill would be the perfect coach for one of our competitors. Let's see what he could do to screw up Chicago, for example. He's be an excellent saboteur.

I think one fact sums up everything we have been saying about Brian Hill and his inability and/or unwillingness to make adjustments. Every team Brian Hill has ever coached in the playoffs has eventually been swept. In 1994 it was to the Indiana Pacers. In 1995 it was to the Houston Rockets. In 1996 it was to the Chicago Bulls. The man is stubborn and we will suffer for it again.

quote:
How can he be "the right coach for a young team" when he's not developing his young players? Let's look at it:

Jameer has clearly gotten much worse this season.

Howard is not developing offensively the way many people expected. Hill fired Clifford Ray.

Darko no longer has confidence in his outside shot and his game has been overall stunted by Hill.

Reddick has zero minutes so far in the playoffs. Way to build for the future there!!

Even Ariza, one of the few young players Hill seems to like, isn't seeing much action in the playoffs.

Let's not even talk about Diener.

Brian Hill is a disaster for the Magic, destroying whatever potential they had to be a good team this season.

Brian Hill would be the perfect coach for one of our competitors. Let's see what he could do to screw up Chicago, for example. He's be an excellent saboteur.

his game plan is eh... but he practices strict discipline and wants to see players give their best during practice, you'd like to have that kind of passion from your players as they go along the way.

Clifford Ray firing is eh... It was a wrong move, but I think brian thought he would've gotten someone better than Mark Bryant.

quote:
Originally posted by FENDI:

his game plan is eh... but he practices strict discipline and wants to see players give their best during practice, you'd like to have that kind of passion from your players as they go along the way.

Clifford Ray firing is eh... It was a wrong move, but I think brian thought he would've gotten someone better than Mark Bryant.

of course, discipline is very important in professional sports but not as important as development. and our players aren't developing at all, at least not as they should. some of them are even regressing. you have to give a young player the chance to make mistakes, to learn out of them. hill doesn't allow any mistakes but even HoF-er MJ made some and we are talking here about some 21yo kids.