Sign in to follow this  
Dan Savage

Magic Searching for Answers

Blah, Blah, Blah...

We're still a young team as far as leadership is concerned.

Dwight needs to quit smiling so much when we face teams like this and get serious.

what's his excuse ?

He can do it against most teams why not teams like Detroit and Boston to name a couple.

I know it's a growing process...

but to be the best you have to beat the best.

He's the one that this team is built around and I put the blame on him.

Dwight needs to get it together and leave the fun for everything outside of the GAME and kick some butt during the GAME.

Enough said .

Dwight I'm calling you out.

Dan thanks again...

your what an adm should be ...Getting involved

See now that isnt fair, you can't throw all the blame on Dwight, where was Rashard all game? Hedo got hot in the early fourth, as pulled out and never seen from again? Lee was getting manhandled by Rip. AJ was AJ. And Alston was nonexistent.

I think the effort Meer gave this team on a nightly basis has really been underrated. He was the guy hitting big shots, to get us out of scoring slumps, he was hitting the big shots in the fourth, he was setting up Rashard and apparently making him an allstar. He was the leader of this team, and that is very difficult to replace.

how about you give me 4 minutes of play with gortat and dwight on the floor at the same time stan? just do it once for me against the pistons, it seems like they can physically do allright against dwight in the middle, but they probably couldn't pull off what they're doing right now against two physical big men. give gortat an axe if you want.

1. Team Defense

2. Gortat/Battie not showing up against physical teams

3. WHERE is Rashard Lewis!?

4. Hedo needs to find ways to impact the game more (not just a quarter, the game) even when he's facing good defenders like Prince and Deng.

Progress was made in that at least Dwight played the Pistons strong for once, but no one man can do it alone. Just ask Dwayne Wade.

quote:
Originally posted by cunningstunt:

how about you give me 4 minutes of play with gortat and dwight on the floor at the same time stan? just do it once for me against the pistons, it seems like they can physically do allright against dwight in the middle, but they probably couldn't pull off what they're doing right now against two physical big men. give gortat an axe if you want.

if Gortat can hit that 17 ft jumper consistently I strongly agree. I haven't seen enough of that facet to know if he can shoot well in big games.

Dwight knows best when he says its a mental thing. Not only on our side of the ball, but for Detroit too. They knew their same 5 guys from last off-season could still lock down our big 3 on defense.

Also...

Rashard needs to practice keeping his handle in the paint in clutch possessions. I've seen him get stripped or seen him fumble enough.

Hedo has to stop taking plays off on defense and taking contested shots off the dribble.

And Dwight needs to become a better leader at the end of big games. Vocally and by example. I agree with JD, I'm a bit tired of seeing him all cheery in close situations. That doesn't demonstrate focus to your teammates nor your opponents. I also wish he would just give up his excessive arguing over bad calls every once in a while and just keep his head in the action...

clearly my list is not exhaustive

You all have individual demands.

like;

- Hedo, has to stop taking plays off on defense and taking contested shots off the dribble.

- Gortat hitting 17 footers.

- To be the best you have to beat the best.

- Team defense.

And tremendous ideas,

like;

- Meer is the leader of the team.

These are fine ideas, nice comments.

Off the top of my head. When did the rookies start making comments about their teammates? CLee is way above his head. First you have to establish yourself then make a comment.

You are talking about Dwight Howard.

Veteran Hedo.

Rafer Alston.

Rashard Lewis.

He has to stop and think before yapping.

By the way, didnt you know this is Rashard, this is what he can do. What do you expect from him? Break the backboard, fracture KG's jaw, get a rebound over Chris Bosch, get a dozen assists a game and still score 20+?

Well, it aint gonna happen. didnt happen in the past, wont happen in the future.

(and when he shoots the ball, rather throws it, it doesnt have any spin on it whatsoever. He is a sniper I ll give him that. However, if it doesnt hit the spot, it bounces so high, not even a 10 foot Dwight Howatrd can get to it.)

We are a perimeter team, lets accept it.

We have a big guy in the middle, he does what he does best, then rest chucks up 3's.

Was Jameeer doing anythingelse?

When neeeded Hedo sets a game and lobs the ball to D12. When he cant do it, he tries to penetrate. While he is doing that, Rashard waits behind the arc. Thats our game plan.

I ve been saying it all along, we have tremendous talent but still "win this one for me" kind of game plans. When the guy who is expected to get the job done fails, his stock goes way down.

Instead of trying to get Hedo traded, you should think about Rashards trading solutions.

nobodyelse pays this much to a 6.10 shooting guard who doesnt get involved for the life of him.

I thought CLee's comments were pretty accurate, broad and mature to be honest. A rookie can start making comments about their teammates when they have 13 points in the 4th quarter to close out games in which we're trailing. perhaps? Not to mention, he's probably just regurgitating what SVG has said it the locker room and at practice.

I do expect a lot more from Rashard, like his performance in game 3 of round 2 in last years playoffs. I expect him to do what he really does best and practice hard; practice keeping his handle in post up situations, practice reflexes on the glass. I don't expect him to change overnight...

We are a perimeter team, i agree. We can also, however, get out and run pretty well with CLee, Pietrus, skip, turk and jameer. We can also get some good mid level shooting with battie, jameer(who had the best mid range FG pct of G's) JJ and CLee most times.

And jameer can do plenty of other things than chuck up 3's. In fact, jameer improved his driving ability substantially this year(a main reason he was an allstar) and his ability to float in the middle of the lane was very improved.

Our team clearly gets out of sync when we have opponents with good interior defense. Stan needs to do better game planning, like he said already, at getting some mid level screens and cuts away from the basket to draw the big men out a bit. I mimick DWade and Billups when I say when shots fall even a bit under avg, our scheme is tough.

All we were commenting on here is the mental renaissance that needs to happen with our young team. I don't agree with the "win this one for me" approach that your referring about. When I get fed up with Hedo its cause he takes plays off regarding focus. Dwight as well putting up only 12pts, 8 reb and 4-8FT's before fouling out?!?(that stat line is one of a few dozen like it) You don't win championships when your franchise player brings that kind of intensity. And I'm just mimicking what SVG says when I say that.

Rashard is un-tradeable so that is not an option until his last contract year. I'm not a fan of his huge contract, however, the coaches voted him in the all-star game for a reason. He brings some great things to the table as a teammate and with his versatility.

next time think a little about contributing some constructive ideas instead of throwing up a bunch of condescending and bitter BS.

I read it all, it was great up untill the last 2 lines. I am a fan too, I am entitled to make a comment, am I not? however I dont have the right to call your ideas condescending bitter BS. Which I didnt do. If you read it carefully, I said fine ideas, nice comments. There is no need to get ugly. Why are you so offended?

I have so much to say on what you have said, but I am afraid you are gonna start cursing again.

This is basketball not war.

And I wish it were solely my ideas and my condescending bitter BS.

Werent you the ones who went off on Jameer?

I was saying good things about him back then, I still do. I dont sway with the wind, surely not change ideas by All Star pole.

What is gonna happen if he doesnt get picked next year, will you start shopping for a PG?

quote:
Originally posted by ClubMed:

however I dont have the right to call your ideas condescending bitter BS.

Why would you not have the right to call his ideas that?

There is this bizarre notion on this board that anyone who doesn't concede to your ever point, than they're being rude or uncivil. A stupid idea is a stupid idea, whether someone calls it that or not. If your idea isn't defensible enough that you can't respond to criticism of it with anything other than indignation and condmenation, your idea most likely sucks and deserves the criticism it's getting.